Octuplets Mom's Doctor Under Investigation

Nadya Suleman

News.Yahoo.Com: The spotlight on the mother of octuplets is turning to the fertility doctor who helped her give birth not once but 14 times by implanting Nadya Suleman with fertilized embryos.The Medical Board of California investigating the doctor -- whom it did not name -- to see if there was a "violation of the standard of care," board spokeswoman Candis Cohen said Friday.

She did not elaborate.

Suleman, 33, of Whittier, already had six children when she gave birth Jan. 26 to octuplets. The births to an unemployed, divorced single mother prompted angry questions about how she plans to provide for her children.

But the backlash seems to have extended as well to Suleman's doctor.

In a portion of an NBC interview, broadcast Friday, Suleman said she had six embryos implanted for each of her in vitro pregnancies, using the same sperm donor and fertility specialist.

In the case of the octuplets, the procedure resulted in six boys and two girls, including two sets of twins.

"The revelation about one center treating her makes the treatment even harder to understand," said Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. "They went ahead when she had six kids, knowing that she was a single mom ... and put embryos into her anyway."

In the United States, there is no law dictating the number of embryos that can be placed in a mother's womb. Multiple embroys can be implanted to improve the odds that one will take.

However, there are national guidelines which put the norm at two to three embryos for a woman of Suleman's age, in order to lessen the health risks to the mother and the chances of multiple births.

When asked why so many embryos were implanted, Suleman told NBC: "Those are my children, and that's what was available and I used them. So, I took a risk. It's a gamble. It always is."

She said her life's goal was to be a mother and she had struggled for seven years before finally giving birth to her first child in 2001.

"All I wanted was children. I wanted to be a mom. That's all I ever wanted in my life," Suleman said in the portion of the interview that aired Friday. "I love my children."

According to state documents, Suleman told a doctor she had three miscarriages. Another doctor disputed that number, saying she had two ectopic pregnancies, a dangerous condition in which a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than in the uterus.

See Also:

next: I Failed My First Parent Teacher Conference
gilbes February 7, 2009, 3:32 PM

The doctor should lose his license for knowingly implanting 6 embryos into a 33 year old single mother with 6 children already. This was unethical and I don’t know who’s more unstable, this mom or her doctor. She also appears to have had plastic surgery. Is her sperm donor also her “sugar daddy.” They should make him help her take care of all 14 of those children he helped reproduce.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 7:35 PM

hopefully the dr will lose his license.Also since HE impregnated her HE should pay child support since she was unmarried.He rixked the mothers life and all the babies lives with this incredibly stupid act…..

Chrissy February 8, 2009, 12:22 AM

Isn’t the doctor’s oath - first do no harm? How is not harmfull to the patient to impalnt that many embryos? And how is it not doing harm to the children? The were born 9 weeks premature with none weight 4lbs and the littlest one weight a mere 1.3 lbs.
All know results with multiple birth - premature births and low birth weight.

Cin February 8, 2009, 2:46 AM

She should have never had this treatment or the one before it. There is no way the DR could have thought she could take care of all these children. I think this is all a sick publicity ploy. She wants to be a “television childcare expert”.” I wouldn’t watch her she is nut just because she has 14 children and not overwhelmed. My neighbor has three year old (natural) triplets and they are overwhelmed. She has ELEVEN children under three and one is diagnosed with special needs and I am sure there will be more special needs to come, with the risks of complications of high level multiples. I seriously believe this was her plan since she started having these babies. —-BTW she is not married to the man who fathered these babies, he is a sperm donor, so yes he is off the hook for financial support. BUT he does live with them. -I think this was to avoid the state prosicuting(sp) him for support the state gives to HIS children. —-OH and who is paying for her schooling? I want free schooling and free babies too!!! Arg the whole situation is just kickin my butt. The mother (I use this term loosely to refer to the woman who gave birth), the father (again loosely termed), grandparents, and the DR should all be held responsible and need to be mentally evaluated.

bubbles February 8, 2009, 8:56 AM

Obviously, someone droppped the ball here and unfortunately, it’s the children that will suffer. SRS should be watching the situation very closely now. The infertility “specialist” should have his license revoked. His actions were reprehensible. How could he impregnate a woman who was on medical disability for a back injury which prohibited her from performing a job that required sitting, walking, and standing with one embryo, much less six! Totally unethical. She should not receive one penny from the state. It’s time to put an end to these baby-greedy women who willingly have a litter of embryos implanted and then expect tax payers to support their poor choices. I think before any doctor agrees to do this type of procedure, a very strict investigation should be made regarding the parent(s) financial and psychological stability. They should be scrutinized as much, if not more than an individual or couple seeking to adopt a child. This craziness needs to end.

meg February 8, 2009, 9:45 AM

that doctor should lose his license. clearly he lacks the medical judgment to continue practicing. He endangered the life of the mom and these 8 children. Lord knows what they of long term problems these kids will have.

Anonymous February 8, 2009, 4:54 PM

Okay, this is her dream. An unemployed woman who can’t take care of the children she already has, is going to live like a queen. She is going to have a beautiful new home, nanaies, there are going to be movies about her, donaations of money and gifts from everywhere. She is on disablity, but is allowed to add 8 more chidren to the difficulties she is already livng in. She planned this, because she is struggling. Just a tactic to get her through thess tough times.

theboyzmom February 9, 2009, 11:34 AM

Did anyone else see where she said she tried for 7 years to get pregnant the first time? If she is 33 now and her oldest is 7, then she got pregnant when she was 26, meaning if it took her 7 years to have that first child, she was TRYING at age 19!!!!! I think this lady has serious issues and I really think her doctor was irresponsible.

Auntie February 9, 2009, 1:48 PM

I’d like to know where she got the money to get her lips done, because in a previous picture I saw of her they were not that full. Was that the first thing she did when she got out of the hospital? And if she had them done with money she received for the octuplet’s care then those babies don’t have a chance.