I'm Pissed I Paid for the Octuplets' IVF

According to newly released reports, the mom of 14 collected over $168,000 in disability payments. I assume that's how she paid for her IVF. That means, as a taxpayer, I FOOTED THE BILL.

Person Holding a Money Bundle

Guest blogger Samantha: After an on-the-job injury, octuplets mom Nadya Suleman went on state disability and was paid nearly $170,000 in benefits between 2000 and 2008 for injuries to her back, neck and shoulder.

The single mother gave birth to most of her six other children (conceived through IVF) during the time she was on disability, exacerbating the injury.

Since she didn't really work during this time, I assume the IVF treatments were funded by these state disability payments. I helped fund those, since I live in the same state she does and pay taxes through the nose.

Speaking of nose, it looks to me like she had hers done. And her plumped-up lips don't exactly look natural, either. Did my tax dollars pay for plastic surgery as well?

I work hard for a living and have never taken a dime from the government. Yes, I have slipped and fallen at a previous job, but I did not sue. I hate the fact that people like Nadya milk what they can from the government and then use that money (MY money) to purchase things even I cannot afford.

I cannot afford IVF. I cannot afford plastic surgery. I'm so glad to know I am paying for this woman's luxury medical procedures that are not medically necessary, in a state that's so broke they plan to issue IOUs instead of state tax refunds. That's super satisfying.

It makes me sick that I paid for this nut job's IVF, and that I will probably be paying to feed and clothe her kids, too, since she has no job to speak of and hasn't worked in 10 years.

I make a great living, yet I have held off on having a third child because I can't afford one. She has 14 kids and doesn't have a care in the world about how she'll afford them, because WE'RE paying.

It just doesn't seem fair. Does it to you?

next: Cops: Mom Killed Diabetic Daughter with Candy
Naila February 6, 2009, 7:50 PM

ok..she should be sued and the kids taken away.
fake lips, no brain, and nose job…with no job ??? ugh!

MASchu February 6, 2009, 8:05 PM

And your taxes paid for her platic surgery, too (lips, cheeks, nose), I bet. Your taxes (and other cash-strapped Californios’ taxes) are paying the million plus to take care of premature octuplets, and will pay for their future medical needs (which can run very, very high).

I think that any money she gets from the media needs to be confiscated by the State of California to pay for the needs of those babies for years to come.

cdw February 6, 2009, 8:41 PM

amen to the previous comments—not to mention preemies frequently have lifelong and serious medical problems—did she even think of this? there is no way all eight will be completely healthy—that just doesn’t happen—and if she is so disabled how did she manage to carry 7 pregnancies to term just fine?

lelena February 6, 2009, 9:08 PM

I completely agree. Like you, I live in California and, being old, live on a fixed income.

I’m outraged that this woman (who “only wanted children”) is sucking up our tax dollars and will raise our insurance premiums.

I became a grandma for the first time this week —— big healthy baby boy who weighed 8 times as much as some of her babies. Both his parents work and will take care of him and not impose on the STATE!

This is disgusting and irresponsible and irrational and may also be criminal, as some “medical professional” likely participated to create this mess.

I heard that Nadya’s mother said that she loved children so much that she should have been a Kindergarten teacher. Well —— SANE people who love children do that.

Also, to “cdw” above who asked how a disabled women could carry all those babies, she’s not “physically” disabled. Her disability is mental. If you look at the rules of disability (I’m a disability advocate), it doesn’t mean you can’t walk or function. It means you can’t work in your field. She’s mentally disabled. If we didn’t know that already, we know it now as FOURTEEN children can not solve your mental illness or personal insecurity problem.

I’m unhappy, as my taxes will go up due to this AND my baby grandson will have a horrible example of personal accountability.

Medical professionals not involved in the case are urging people to speak out and refuse to buy books, magazines (or any other pop culture items) wherein this woman flashes her insecurity. Can you imagine 14 kids on the streets, with the genetics of an insecure, mentally-ill woman who had them all because she didn’t feel loved? This is very scary. We already have enough children who don’t feel loved. It’s a problem. Everywhere.

PS: When I talk to my son about his son, I’ve said —— “your son is the same size as THE LITTER which was born in California last week.”

wordgirl February 6, 2009, 9:16 PM

Okay, I’m outraged at the Suleman story - however as at wife of a Workmen’s Comp. Atty — I want to point out that Workmen’s Compensation money comes out of a fund that your employer — and therefore you — pay into while you’re working — and that includes Nadya Suleman — while she was working.

lelena February 6, 2009, 9:24 PM

Forgot to say, it definitely looks like she is trying to look like Angelina Jolie.

Also, after I wrote above, I see the State Medical Board is looking into it. Sure hope so.

I just found this website, but will stay tuned. As mentioned, I’m a disability advocate so just because someone had a workplace injury doesn’t mean they can’t carry a pregnancy. What it means is that they can’t work in their field. However, in ALL cases, they should be re-trained, before being declared “disabled.” She’s obviously been siphoning off the system. I think I’ll pursue that angle, as I’m not a medical professional, but am a professional in human behavior.

lelena February 6, 2009, 9:29 PM

wordgirl —-

We call it “WorkersComp” in the last few years.

There is a difference between WorkersComp and State Disability however.

So, what is it? I have a Master’s in a field which includes Employment Law and Human Behavior. I’m not an attorney but am a disability advocate, over the past 10 years.

As Samantha mentioned, she was on disability. We have to know what kind.

jillian February 6, 2009, 9:38 PM

This 33 year old single woman is unemployed, has 6 fatherless children (one of whom has autism), lives with her bankrupt parents and decides that she wants another 8 fatherless children to fulfill her life. What a selfish and immature woman!!!

Who’s going to pay for these 14 children, the bankrupt grandparents???? No, taxpayers like you and I.

Though public records show that Nadya Suleman was on the payroll at Metropolitan State Hospital until last year, it appears that she did little work (if any) after September 1999 due to a workman’s compensation injury (back injury and psychiatric condition) in which she’s received up to $165,000 in compensation. She filed an additional claim for worker’s compensation for a separate car accident in which she argued that this car accident wouldn’t have occurred had she not been going for medical treatment for the earlier worker’s comp. injury.

Apparently Nadya Suleman knows how to “work” the system and will have no trouble finding the funds to support her large family and stupid decisions for the next 18 years.

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 10:12 PM

Why so bitter, children? I’m glad my mother taught me to mind my business. Karma. I’ll let karma take care of it.

Truth be told, most of you just end up sounding jealous. Jealous she’s pretty. Jealous over the attention. Jealous over the money. Jealousy, its an ugly, ugly thing. But then, I get the feeling most of you know ALL about ugly…

steve February 6, 2009, 11:09 PM

california is ultra left

as you sow,
so shall you reap.
stop complaining and eat some granola

Laura February 7, 2009, 12:02 AM

Nadya is a stpid, selfish ho bag! she should be locked up in a padded cell with the doctor who helped her commit this travesty! Those children should be given to adoptive families who cant have children. Families who will properly love and take care of them instead of living with that nutcase Nadya.

jane doe February 7, 2009, 12:08 AM

I agree with Anonymous Mind your own bees wax.

Sheron February 7, 2009, 12:53 AM

LOL!! Seriously Anonymous, you think she’s pretty? Trust me, nobody here is attacking her over jealousy of her looks or attention. People are rightfully angry over paying her plastic surgery and IVF bills.

Um, just where does Plastic Face think the $$$ she receives for not working comes from. Trees??

Furios February 7, 2009, 2:03 AM

OH WELL THE NEXT THING WILL BE … TUMMY TUCKS, SINCE SHE HAD OCTUPLETS SHE WILL NEED SURGERY FOR THE HANGING SKIN, STRETCH MARKS, ETC ETC… AND IN THE END SHE WILL END UP GETTING PAID!

john doe February 7, 2009, 7:56 AM

Mind our own business? It became our business when this psycho tried to go public about it, hiring publicists and asking for millions to go on interviews and getting her own tv show. It became our business when she tried to take taxpayers’ money to support herself for the next 18 years. If this was a private matter, you’re right, we should mind our own business. But she brought this upon herself by trying to seek attention and taking other people’s money.

Anonymous February 7, 2009, 9:28 AM

f*cked up as it may be, I’d rather pay for this lady’s 8 kids over those ridiculous bail-outs that banks like Wells Fargo want to use for bullsh*t like Las Vegas press junkets.

At least if one of these kids grows up and cures cancer or something like that, I got some sort of return on my money

notmomyet February 7, 2009, 11:34 AM

This is so sickening - why does she get to waste who knows whose money on repeated SUCCESSFUL IVF treatment while not working with six previous children. My husband and I are both employed and still struggling to pay for lesser infertility treatments to just have one child have not gone to IVF yet due to the high expense. I guess I should claim that I am disabled and then disability funds can cover the expense of IVF for us too! I agree that this woman is not playing with a full deck and her fertility doctor should have his license revoked.

Sick of cheats February 7, 2009, 12:39 PM

Let those stupid doctors pay for her kids. A bunch of them said they have no right to turn patients away, which is total BS. Plastic surgery and gastric bypass docs routinely turn patients away who are bad candidates for subjective reasons. Totally legal and ethical. The employer that Suleman bilked for the disability payments should sue her.

So jealous February 7, 2009, 12:40 PM

You are so right, anonymous! I am so jealous that this woman is single, unemployed, and now has 14 screaming kids to deal with! Not to mention the ire of the nation right now. My life really sucks in comparison. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Moron

Marge Wood February 7, 2009, 1:42 PM

Agree with the author. The mother is a selfish nut-job that needs to be in psych ward. Her kids should be confiscated and put up for adoption. This applies to ALL single moms who make the “unconventional” choice to force others to pay for their brood. Most of these single-mom brats become criminals anyway..need to get them away from these sick moms so they have a chance at normalcy. And Arnold has no idea why the State is broke.