Phelps: Marijuana Scandal 'Not What My Mom Wanted'

Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps has been in hot water this week after a photo was released of him smoking marijuana.

mommike270.jpg
The 23-year-old publicly apologized for his actions saying that he "clearly made a mistake."

"It's obviously bad judgment and it's something I'm not proud of at all," said Phelps. "I will say that with the mistakes that I've made in my life, I've learned from them. ... That's what I plan to do from here. It's definitely not what I wanted, and it's clearly not what my mom wanted."

He states that he is not a regular marijuana smoker and that it "definitely wasn't easy" to tell his mom about the incident.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Mom Wins (Gigantic) Booby Prize
Alberto February 5, 2009, 8:50 PM

The stupidity and hypocrisy in this country in relation with marijuana is not surprising when the “people” allowed their governments to steal and lie time after time without reacting accordingly.

Ron February 5, 2009, 9:45 PM

Who has not done something wrong and stupid when they were young? Give Michael a break. Smoking pot? Big deal. Millions of Americans go get more wasted at countless Happy Hour bars across America everyday on the most popular, recreational legal drug of choice, alcohol, yet Kellogs is not coming out and saying, “We are not allowing all those Alkies out there to buy our cereal anymore. It is against our moral values and clean image we are trying to portray.” They put more garbage chemicals in their cereals and cause more damage to our bodies than smoking a joint or hitting a bong every now and then.

Robert February 6, 2009, 1:17 AM

Oh please, leave the kid alone. Doing stupid things is part of growing up.

Anonymous February 6, 2009, 2:57 AM

People make mistakes. He has also accomplished a remarkable feat. Give him the break he deserves.

Tammie February 6, 2009, 3:38 AM

Yes, people make mistakes and he is NOT a kid(over 21 yrs.old). There are other athletes/celebrities that get into for things not even involving ILLEGAL drugs. So, he should be treated as the rest of them.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 9:26 PM

Interesting information. Nice to read. I’ve got a small point to submit about shirts.