Pregnant M.I.A. to Perform on Due Date

Would YOU do this?

M.I.A.

Rapper M.I.A., who is nine months pregnant, is nominated for two Grammys, including Record of the Year and Best Rap Song. Her due date is Sunday, the same day of the Grammy Awards.

So what's she going to do? Watch the show at home in her fuzzy slippers? Naw. She's going to PERFORM!

"They say that you're often late the first time, so I'm planning to go" to the show, the 31-year-old told USA Today. "We'll see. People are trying to get me to relax and focus on the baby. It's like being in parallel universes."

Momlogic OB/GYN Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz says while performing THIS pregnant is certainly ambitious, it's not unsafe in any way. "In terms of loudness, the vibrations may be felt by the baby, but it's more important for the mom to protect her own hearing," she says. "The baby has amniotic fluid, placenta, the uterus and the mom's abdomen protecting him or her from bouncing, noise, vibrations, etc. So sound is not a real issue."

M.I.A. plans on performing at the Oscars on February 22 as well, just a few weeks after she has the baby.

Talk about stamina!

Would YOU perform on your due date if you were her? Comment below.

next: Adoption Double Standard
Marquita February 7, 2009, 8:12 AM

Heck no….I went in the night of my due date and had my son early the next day….4:31am to be exact…so you never know when your baby is ready!

kristin February 7, 2009, 9:17 AM

good for her. if she feels up to it, there’s no reason not to do it. :)

Kiki February 7, 2009, 3:45 PM

Good for her! She’s going to perform-not rock climb, so I don’t see the fuss.

Nicole February 7, 2009, 9:20 PM

Can’t say I would cause I’m waaaay too much of a planner but I say “go girl!”. She’s not dying, just giving birth. And the likelihood this will happen ON her due date is rather slim. What a great way to keep your mind off waiting!

Natalie February 8, 2009, 2:30 PM

Good for her! I had my first the day after my due date, but went into labor ON my due date. With my second, he was 4 days late. If she’s happy to perform, and she’s up to it, I can’t wait to see her tonight!

Karen February 8, 2009, 5:50 PM

That’s wonderful that she is performing on her due date! All my own pregnancies go to 41 weeks, and I work my job as church organist/choir director up until delivery since it’s not far from home. I think it is wonderful for a woman to be able to do this if she chooses.

Starr February 8, 2009, 10:07 PM

Im watchin it now, and she was doin her thing. Her stomach looked like 2 basketballs, but she did what she did, and ROCKED IT. GO MAYA!!

Nastassja February 8, 2009, 11:35 PM

I think she is dope, if she has the energy to do it, then go head! that just shows how much she loves doing what she does. As long as the baby is not in any real danger and she isn’t hurting herself that rock it out M.I.A!

Jasmine February 9, 2009, 12:15 AM

Im currently 7 months pregnant myself and if I had something that was as important to me as performing at the grammys is to M.I.A I would definately do it. Its not going to hurt the baby and doctors recommend maintaining the same activities you did before you were pregnant if you can. So I say GO GIRL & I hope when she does go into labor her and baby are healthy & happy!