twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Girl Afraid of Dentist Starves to Death

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

After going to the dentist and having eight baby teeth extracted, an eight-year-old was too traumatized to eat. Now she has starved to death.

girl died from fear of dentist

An 8-year-old girl from England starved to death after developing such a fear of dentists she refused to eat, a court heard.

Sophie Waller died a month after undergoing an operation to remove her baby teeth after she stopped eating or speaking because of pain in one of them.

Doctors decided to remove all eight of her baby teeth so she would not have to undergo repeat operations.

However, Sophie's mother said her daughter was "devastated" when she discovered her teeth had gone and had a long-standing phobia of dentists.

After the operation, Sophie was kept on a feeding tube in the hospital before being discharged on November 17, 2005.

In the days that followed, the 8-year-old continued to refuse solid food and lost more than 20 pounds.

Her parents Janet and Richard, from St. Dennis, England, said they told doctors Sophie was only consuming small amounts of yogurt, fruit and nutritional drinks prescribed by a general practitioner, and were told she would be "okay."

A week later, Sophie's parents said she was so emaciated they could see her spine through her back and her hair was falling out.

The couple told the hearing they called the hospital but were told by a nurse not to bring her in as she was now under the care of community child psychologist, Dr. Kerry Davison.

"No one saw her after she was discharged from the hospital," Janet Waller said. "I told Kerry Davison she was sucking on a watermelon, she told me that was enough for her to survive on."

Sophie died on December 2, 2005, from acute renal failure caused by starvation and dehydration, pediatric pathologist, Dr. Marie-Ann Brundler said.

Brundler said she would have expected a health professional to have noticed Sophie's emaciated state had they seen her before she died.

"This could have easily been avoided, if we could have just gone to the hospital," Richard Waller said.

The investigation into Sophie's death is ongoing.

Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says, "This is a very extreme story, and very sad. If a parent is worried about her child, don't ask permission to see a doctor -- make an appointment and go in. From the sounds of it, if a physician had weighed and examined this girl, it is very likely that she would have received intensive nutritional care or been admitted to the hospital well before her kidneys failed."

What a sad story. Our hearts go out to the family.

Do you or your kids have a fear of the dentist?


next: Counselor Makes Girl Take Pregnancy Test
29 comments so far | Post a comment now
rent porn dvds September 9, 2010, 11:54 AM

rent adult

compare smokeless cigarettes November 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

While wanting to get off cancer sticks, I stumbled on the electric cigarette. The electric cigarette wotks on a nicotine material that is made up of just nicotine. Simply no cancerous substances at all. They have actually saved my life. Getting rid of inhaling toxic chemicals feels very good to me!

gzqvdyxo February 12, 2011, 4:52 AM

Hot lezzie action with these sexy muff divers

http://www.thepornhubx.com - porn Horny junny plays with herself in the tub in these amazing vids wma porn

smumeralluddy March 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
smumeralluddy March 19, 2011, 12:27 PM
smumeralluddy March 21, 2011, 9:31 PM
smumeralluddy March 25, 2011, 12:33 PM

Back to top >>
advertisement