Surprise! My Kid Wore a Pee Shirt to Preschool

The lack of communication between me and my husband stinks. Literally.

little girl sitting on a bench
Momlogic's Andrea: Like many couples trying to balance parenthood and work, my husband and I work opposite schedules. I work early and come home early. He works late and comes home late. He and my three-year-old are sleeping when I leave. Me and my three-year-old are sleeping when he comes home.

You couldn't make up a better scenario for the breakdown of a family if you tried. Except maybe throwing in a mistress and a gambling addiction.

And since my husband and I barely talk during the work week, every day when I pick up my toddler from school it's always such a "fun" surprise to see what weird things my husband has packed her for lunch, what crazy get-ups she convinced him to let her wear, and how many knots are in her hair because, as he says, "It makes her so unhappy when I brush it."

Yesterday was the last straw -- our final breakdown in communication. As per her request, a.k.a. meltdown, I let her wear the T-shirt she wore to school to bed. One hour later, she peed in her bed. The shirt was wet with pee. I changed her and threw the shirt on the floor. (Don't you judge me!) The next morning, my intrepid daughter convinces my husband to let her wear the shirt again to school. He's so bleary-eyed he doesn't remember she wore the shirt the day before. (Don't you judge him ... um, on second thought, go ahead.)

When I picked her up at school that day, imagine my surprise when I see her wearing her pee-shirt from the night before. Parent Fail Alert!

What do you think the moral of this story is?

A) Two parents working full-time is bulls**t
B) I shouldn't throw urine-soaked clothes on the floor
C) My husband is a pushover
D) All of the above

next: Oscar Fashion -- Good, Bad and Ugly!
ashley February 23, 2009, 8:11 AM

EEWWW!!! That’s GROSS!! Ok, A)put the pee clothes in the laundry basket B) Why don’t you bathe your kid at night? Especially after she’s been at school!! I wouldn’t want my kids and all their school germs in their clean bed, or mine. Is that silly for me to think like that? My mom is a germaphobe and we couldn’t even wear our shoes in the house because we might get someone elses grass in there!! So I come by it honestly. Anyhow, both my kids get a bath every night even if they stayed home and stayed in their jammies all day (like yesterday). Ok so why don’t you start setting out her clothes and her lunch the night before and let hubby and daughter know, this is what you’re wearing. Period!!

Anonymous February 23, 2009, 8:46 AM

ashley, she never said she didn’t bathe her. i bathe my son and there has been times where he wanted to put his spongebob shirt back on for bed….no big deal. and come on, how would your husband take it if you said, you are not picking her clothes out anymore!!!!….thought so! she probably should have just put the shirt in the laundry.

Kris February 23, 2009, 10:40 AM

OMG, I completely understand. It really is almost impossible (at least for me) to manage a 2-income household. I haven’t done quite the same thing (w/pee shirt), but it seems we have very similar situations. Take care of yourself. It’s so hard sometimes…

Barb February 23, 2009, 10:47 AM

I only bathe my kids every other night. With a decent clean-up job at the end of the day, that’s enough to keep them clean—they don’t stink like adults do. However, in the summer, when they get sweaty and swim every day, we do bathe them every day.

As for the pee shirt—eek! Lesson learned?

jw February 23, 2009, 12:11 PM

OH YUCK!!! I’m laughing with you I swear!! It’s good to know I’m not the only one who’s had this communication breakdown. Perhaps you and your husband could establish a ‘If its on the floor its dirty and the kid can’t wear it’ rule, or put a hamper in your kid’s room. Or tell your daughter that she can pick out anything she wants to wear but it MUST come from her closet or inside her dresser.

jst February 23, 2009, 12:55 PM

All of the above. Hilarious!

BeyondPinkBlog February 23, 2009, 1:29 PM

D. All of the Above!
It’s hard to keep it all straight when we work so hard to keep alive in life.
We all understand though and appreciate these stories. This lets us all know we are alive!
Hey, the other day my husband took one of our daughters to the grocery store. He let her walk out of the house in her school shirt and the tights she wore under her skirt. No skirt. He only noticed after my daughter was tugging so much on her shirt as she walked through the store. She’s 5. But even she knew better!!!

Spookygirl February 23, 2009, 1:45 PM

Heck, I am a SAH Homeschooling mom, and I have caught my DH taking clothes out of the wrong (dirty) laundry basket to put on my kids! Sometimes I think DH’s aren’t as with it when it comes to dressing kids, and I know mine often gives in and let’s them pick their own regardless of appropriateness for weather or fashion sense :)

Danielle February 23, 2009, 1:48 PM

I have an even grosser miscommunication story for you. When I had morning sickness, I once left a puked-in-rinsed-out-but-not-washed bowl on the counter (I was probably trying to make room so I could wash other dishes in the sink) and my husband made pancakes in it thinking it was washed and just drying on the counter. And we didn’t discover this until we already ate the pancakes. And of course that made me want to throw up in the bowl again.

Whose fault was it? I’d like to blame him but I should have left the bowl in the sink! So I’d say B. Sorry.

Jessica (from It's my life...) February 23, 2009, 1:53 PM

Definitely all of the above! Classic story! My husband and I work the same hours and we still manage to not be the best communicators!

Also, Ashley, get off your high horse. Seriously. Judgy McJudgy pants are always the ones who fall the hardest when they fall.

Amy February 23, 2009, 2:36 PM

This is hilarious. You are not a bad mother unless the other kids at school start calling your kid names because she stinks of pee! With that said…. the urine soaked t-shirt should have found it’s way into the laundry basket or tub or even washing machine.

Sara Jane February 23, 2009, 2:51 PM

D. All of the above. (and are you my secret twin!) Too much to do and not enough time to do it all in, even with a partner! Just stick with it, get though the tough times and it will get better ~ or so I tell myself!

Jennifer February 23, 2009, 3:29 PM

First of all, I think Ashley is a snob and needs snapped back to reality. Just because you bath your children every night in a feeble attempt to protect them germs, does not mean that every mother should.

The answer is D) All of the above!

I think that laying the outfits out the night before is a good idea. And it’s really not that hard to keep up with if you do as you’re tucking her in for the night. You could take turns packing lunches and have the lunch box ready to grab first thing in the morning. I know it’s hard being a working family and you’ve just described my life a little. Good luck with everything!!

bridalpublisher February 23, 2009, 3:31 PM

Remember what my mother said - “Men are good for two things and one of them is heavy lifting.”

This too shall pass.

Jo Walshe February 23, 2009, 3:35 PM

All of the above! And you are SO not alone, reassuring to know I’m not either!!!

Anonymous February 23, 2009, 3:39 PM

Man if money weren’t so tight I’d offer you a vacation. Heck I need a vacation.

Funny stuff. Don’t sweat it. But yeah, I’d put a little laundry basket by the bed for future night episodes.

Ann B., Lancaster, PA. February 23, 2009, 4:43 PM

OMG, this story was hilarious!!! I had the same situation when my kids were younger. I worked days part time and hubby worked the 2nd shift or 3rd shift sometimes, but he would take care of the kids during the day, I did it at night. I can see this happening very easily!! Bwahhahahaha. So sh*t happens. And I say “all of the above” for the multiple answer question.

Mimi T February 23, 2009, 8:48 PM

I am HOWLING (OK, very very quietly - my 16 mo. old is asleep down the hall) with laughter right now!! While my husband has never put either of our girls(older one is 5 now) into pee-soaked clothing, he has managed to completely ignore ENORMOUS food stains on previously worn outfits. It’s certainly an incentive to get my act together in the morning so that I’m the one getting the girls dressed, rather than having to adjust outfits when the 5 year old comes downstairs looking like a patchwork dolly (what do you mean the striped orange shirt doesn’t go with the flower-print purple skirt and the blue polka-dot tights?!). I went on a 2 day business trip last year and she didn’t get her hair brushed for 3 mornings in a row. OUCH!! All joking aside, I’d rather deal with the occasional odd outfit and tangled tresses that come out of my husband’s honest attempt to help out and make ALL our days run smoother than have him just assume it’s always my job. And who would I be to point fingers? After all I was the one frantically searching the clothes hamper this morning for a pair of not-too-stinky socks ‘cause I totally spaced on putting the laundry in the dryer last night…

K&C's mom February 24, 2009, 12:32 AM

I feel you pain!!! LOL! I had to start picking out my kids’ cloths at night or they would end up in floral shirt with striped pants, or red shirt and neon orange shorts, or shorts during the winter, or long pants when it’s a hundred degrees outside, it makes my life easier.

Patti February 24, 2009, 2:31 PM

Life is too short to beat yourself up! I don’t think any of us who have had at least one child haven’t done something that someone else would consider disgusting. No one died from this experience - and it just reminds all of us that we are human. (And my husband is no longer allowed to help pick out clothes for anyone but himself!)