Surprise! My Kid Wore a Pee Shirt to Preschool

The lack of communication between me and my husband stinks. Literally.

little girl sitting on a bench
Momlogic's Andrea: Like many couples trying to balance parenthood and work, my husband and I work opposite schedules. I work early and come home early. He works late and comes home late. He and my three-year-old are sleeping when I leave. Me and my three-year-old are sleeping when he comes home.

You couldn't make up a better scenario for the breakdown of a family if you tried. Except maybe throwing in a mistress and a gambling addiction.

And since my husband and I barely talk during the work week, every day when I pick up my toddler from school it's always such a "fun" surprise to see what weird things my husband has packed her for lunch, what crazy get-ups she convinced him to let her wear, and how many knots are in her hair because, as he says, "It makes her so unhappy when I brush it."

Yesterday was the last straw -- our final breakdown in communication. As per her request, a.k.a. meltdown, I let her wear the T-shirt she wore to school to bed. One hour later, she peed in her bed. The shirt was wet with pee. I changed her and threw the shirt on the floor. (Don't you judge me!) The next morning, my intrepid daughter convinces my husband to let her wear the shirt again to school. He's so bleary-eyed he doesn't remember she wore the shirt the day before. (Don't you judge him ... um, on second thought, go ahead.)

When I picked her up at school that day, imagine my surprise when I see her wearing her pee-shirt from the night before. Parent Fail Alert!

What do you think the moral of this story is?

A) Two parents working full-time is bulls**t
B) I shouldn't throw urine-soaked clothes on the floor
C) My husband is a pushover
D) All of the above

next: Oscar Fashion -- Good, Bad and Ugly!
MrsEmbers February 26, 2009, 1:17 PM

Oh, my goodness- too funny! Kind of gross… but funny! I’d agree that a laundry hamper would be a good idea, as well as hoping that maybe your husband could at least SMELL clothes before people get dressed.

Ju February 27, 2009, 3:04 AM

This was pretty funny! It gave me a good chuckle. My DH and I both work, I leave before he does, so he takes care of her in the morning.
Occasionally I will lay out her clothes on her headboard, this way, all my DH has to do is put them on her. Not so bad now, she has more usable outfits now(went to the States for Christmas and bought her several pants from The Children’s Place). I try to make sure all the dirty clothes go into the laundry room so she’s not wearing dirty clothes. She’s still potty-training, so I haven’t gotten to the bed-wetting yet. We have Night Night Pants for that (she won’t put on the pull-up unless we call it that). I think the only-get-clothes-from-the-dresser-or-closet rule is a good one. It’s what we use. If it’s on the floor we pick it up at the end of the day.

Qblqgfyd June 24, 2009, 1:04 PM

hvVGPF comment1 ,

friend January 10, 2010, 7:05 PM

you should both STOP giving in to your child. Just cuz you both have busy schedules that’s breaking down communication, you can leave notes… loving notes, to do lists, etc. i’m sure you both love your child very much but i’m pretty sure this breakdown in communication is easily grasped by a child and taken advantage of. never underestimate them.

rugbymom January 11, 2010, 11:36 AM

Okay, in all seriousness, it is about expectations and communication. Despite your opposite schedules, you have to find a way to take the time and communicate, thus saving more time and embarrassing moments in the future. Lay out an outfit for her at night, and that way your husband knows what to put on her. No arguements. You can even let her pick the night before to avoid arguments between her and her daddy. Leave him notes. Put the pee clothes in the bathtub along with sheets/whatever the next morning, and tell him about the smell test!!! LOL

Seriously, my husband figured out to smell things just to be sure. The kids pull clean clothes out to the floor on top of dirty ones all the time, so we have to constantly pick up clothes and smell them and put them in their proper places. Just some ideas! Get a dry-erase board or calendar or find some way to communicate with your husband who I am sure is trying very hard to please you both. :-)

a parent February 18, 2010, 11:04 AM

Top this. How about having your 5 y.o. daughter wetting her bed in her tights she wore to school yesterday. She being embarrassed and afraid of getting caught, she puts on a pretty dress for school over top of her wet unties & white tights, thinking they will dry on her & she’ll be OK! One doesn’t realized this until one sees her large wet pee stain in her bed! Then the thought occurs as what she wore to bed & what she IS WEARING to school, in WET UNDIES & TIGHTS, NO WHERES TO BE FOUND UNTIL WHEN SHE’S PICKED UP FROM SCHOOL, seeing her dried yellow pee stained tights that was hidden under her cute, but still, above the knee high ruffled hemmed YELLOW pinafore dress!!! …LOL

Chell February 21, 2010, 12:33 PM

Ashley! OMG… you don’t put your children in real clothes everyday and let them stay in their pajamas? And you’re judging this writer?

Wow.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 3:27 PM

I’ve gained a couple very good suggestions for my web site from reading this.

Drug rehab December 28, 2010, 7:47 PM

ALCOHOLISM: Review the definition, meaning, pronunciation, explanation, synonyms, and antonyms of the term ALCOHOLISM in the Online Dictionary.

Glennie Speigel January 23, 2011, 8:51 AM

nicely written post. noted.

Ashanti Urbaniak January 25, 2011, 9:59 PM

Some really superb content on this internet site,thankyou for contribution.

Ashli Model February 15, 2011, 6:24 PM

I just want to say I am just beginner to blogging and site-building and certainly liked your page. Likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You really come with really good posts. Thanks a lot for revealing your web site.

Jordan Fusion 6 March 25, 2011, 3:00 AM

Hello could I have recourse to some of the content from this despatch if I identify with go to you?

Nike Air Max 2010 March 26, 2011, 2:11 AM

Great orientation! I give up here all of the time! Keep up the fantabulous urge a exercise!

Tomas Kopecky Jersey March 26, 2011, 10:36 PM

Thanksgiving owing to you against creating valuable intelligence with respect to the issue.

Santiago Kuzel March 29, 2011, 4:03 PM

You are a very clever person!

Judith O. Howard March 31, 2011, 4:36 AM

Valuable

Enfants Nike Air Max 90 March 31, 2011, 11:23 AM

Hello may I eat some of the info here in this access if I link treacherously to you?

Wholesale ED Hardy Handbags April 1, 2011, 10:31 AM

Credit you against creating valuable knowledge with respect to the issue.

Air Structure Triax 91 April 3, 2011, 1:14 PM

Hello could I use some of the thesis from this collection if I vinculum back to you?