Wake Up! Our Kids Are FAT ... Fix It!

As parents, we MUST help stop this horrifying epidemic. Momlogic expert Dr. Cara Natterson gives her advice on this weighty issue.

teens laughing at obese girl

Consider the numbers: One in three adolescents and two out of three adults are either overweight or obese in this country. Why is this happening ... and what can we do?

"Obesity is one of the hardest things to recognize for a parent," says ML pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson. "Parents don't want to recognize that their child is having a problem, because it is the last thing they want for them. It puts the parents in crisis mode because of all that obesity implies: the loss of self-confidence, bullying, health implications, sadness."

This is an issue that can absolutely no longer be ignored, but what exactly IS this disease that's eating away at the health of this country, and what can we do to prevent it?

A child is considered obese if their weight is at least 10% higher than what is recommended for their height and body type. Studies have shown that a child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80% chance of becoming an obese adult.

Think being fat doesn't hurt? Take a look at these teens, speaking openly about their struggles with obesity on a recent episode of "Tyra."

Dr. Cara says there is a simple explanation to why a large part of our youth is obese: "Our portions are too big, we eat too many calories and we do not exercise like we used to," she says. "We drive, we watch TV, we sit. The human body needs to move."

You must take a no-nonsense approach to setting rules in your household, says Dr. Cara. "Teens just as much as kids need rules," she explains. "The idea of their right to privacy and having computers and televisions in their rooms is not the correct way of approaching this."

Dr. Cara's advice:

1. Put computers in the kitchen or a space where kids can be monitored. Allow them two hours of "screen time" daily -- this includes computer, television, video games, iPods.

2. Apply the same rules for everyone in the house, not just the child or teen that is struggling with obesity. Everyone has the same amount of screen time and exercise time, and everyone eats similar foods. Make this a family pact so as to not alienate your obese child.

3. Create activity times with Mom and Dad. One day a week, Dad takes the kids out for a physical activity, and the other day Mom does it. Kids don't want to be fat, but oftentimes, they are too young to join a gym. Demonstrate the importance of physical activity.

4. Remove soda and junk food from the household. Create a healthy family environment for everyone.

5. Limit fast food, take-out, and eating out. Prepare foods at home as a family. Eat a diet rich in calcium and fiber, and limit the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.

6. Enforce a rule of one hour of physical activity a day. (Otherwise, they won't receive their screen time.)

Most importantly, create an environment that supports and encourages healthy choices.

What do you do in your household to foster fitness and health? Share your tips and get advice in the momlogic community.

next: Woman Makes Clothes Out of Her Own Hair
ellipticalhome1 February 1, 2011, 10:08 AM

The subsequent time I learn a put up, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to read, but I really thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you may fix in case you werent too busy looking for attention. home elliptical

Emmitt Hollin February 3, 2011, 3:19 PM

I think the childhood obesity epidemic in this country is appalling. Besides the health implications, there are the mental health aspects - these kids have poor self-esteem and are more prone to anxiety and panic attacks.

Sid Guasp February 10, 2011, 5:47 PM

I simply want to say I am just new to blogging and really enjoyed this web page. Almost certainly I’m likely to bookmark your website . You surely come with incredible articles and reviews. Cheers for revealing your web site.

cary8ulspa February 20, 2011, 3:49 AM

Would you be interested in exchanging links? Best regards, Cary the excessive sweating expert.

bretny2oju February 21, 2011, 11:59 AM

You need to take part in a contest for the most effective blogs on the web. I’ll suggest this web site! exercise cycle

Deja Lyness February 24, 2011, 2:31 PM

I love this post

Jose Luis February 28, 2011, 3:41 PM

I think this is due to parentes ‘cause they don’t teach to kids good eating habits, so we have to educate our kids what to eat and what not if we don’t want obesity in our childrens.

Como Educar A Un Perro

All the best.

ellipticals March 4, 2011, 12:36 PM

I am also writing to make you understand of the superb discovery my cousin’s child obtained using your webblog. She even learned too many details, not to mention what it’s like to have a great coaching heart to have the others with ease comprehend selected tricky topics. You truly surpassed our own desires. Many thanks for giving such useful, trustworthy, edifying and even cool tips on your topic to Lizeth.

Dani Grix March 14, 2011, 4:14 AM

I just couldn’t depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often in order to check up on new posts

Oolong March 15, 2011, 11:22 AM

No BS and written well, thank you for the post

Erminia Unterzuber March 17, 2011, 9:12 AM

stellar entry you’ve take in

TI March 18, 2011, 5:02 PM

Wake up? we should have woken up years ago, being fat is one of the worst things you can do for your health and it can also hurt your concentration.
פסיכומטרי

Tom March 20, 2011, 8:13 PM

I think part of the reason for the obesity in America is we are overworking and don’t have enough time to prepare healthy meals. Until that changes, our nation will always have extremely high obesity rate. Lose stomach fat

Nike ACG Air Max Foamdome March 26, 2011, 10:11 PM

Wow, that looks so good!Maybe you from changed your keynote not too hanker ago? Largely because I could include sworn it was not the same the former time I was here…unless I am theory of a bizarre web site.

prom dresses animal print March 28, 2011, 8:41 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

dofollow backlinks March 29, 2011, 1:43 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Arnold A. Cates March 29, 2011, 6:59 PM

Marilu Feierman March 29, 2011, 7:13 PM

As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Tay March 30, 2011, 3:20 PM

This is a national disgrace. There are so many things to blame but genes should be at the bottom of the list. - Inactivity, fast food, HFCS. I went to Paris for a week, ate a lot of caloric food (but high quality), walked a lot and came back 7 pounds thinner. Tay @ tinnitus miracle review

darts March 30, 2011, 6:24 PM

Very useful post. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.