Wake Up! Our Kids Are FAT ... Fix It!

As parents, we MUST help stop this horrifying epidemic. Momlogic expert Dr. Cara Natterson gives her advice on this weighty issue.

teens laughing at obese girl

Consider the numbers: One in three adolescents and two out of three adults are either overweight or obese in this country. Why is this happening ... and what can we do?

"Obesity is one of the hardest things to recognize for a parent," says ML pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson. "Parents don't want to recognize that their child is having a problem, because it is the last thing they want for them. It puts the parents in crisis mode because of all that obesity implies: the loss of self-confidence, bullying, health implications, sadness."

This is an issue that can absolutely no longer be ignored, but what exactly IS this disease that's eating away at the health of this country, and what can we do to prevent it?

A child is considered obese if their weight is at least 10% higher than what is recommended for their height and body type. Studies have shown that a child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80% chance of becoming an obese adult.

Think being fat doesn't hurt? Take a look at these teens, speaking openly about their struggles with obesity on a recent episode of "Tyra."

Dr. Cara says there is a simple explanation to why a large part of our youth is obese: "Our portions are too big, we eat too many calories and we do not exercise like we used to," she says. "We drive, we watch TV, we sit. The human body needs to move."

You must take a no-nonsense approach to setting rules in your household, says Dr. Cara. "Teens just as much as kids need rules," she explains. "The idea of their right to privacy and having computers and televisions in their rooms is not the correct way of approaching this."

Dr. Cara's advice:

1. Put computers in the kitchen or a space where kids can be monitored. Allow them two hours of "screen time" daily -- this includes computer, television, video games, iPods.

2. Apply the same rules for everyone in the house, not just the child or teen that is struggling with obesity. Everyone has the same amount of screen time and exercise time, and everyone eats similar foods. Make this a family pact so as to not alienate your obese child.

3. Create activity times with Mom and Dad. One day a week, Dad takes the kids out for a physical activity, and the other day Mom does it. Kids don't want to be fat, but oftentimes, they are too young to join a gym. Demonstrate the importance of physical activity.

4. Remove soda and junk food from the household. Create a healthy family environment for everyone.

5. Limit fast food, take-out, and eating out. Prepare foods at home as a family. Eat a diet rich in calcium and fiber, and limit the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.

6. Enforce a rule of one hour of physical activity a day. (Otherwise, they won't receive their screen time.)

Most importantly, create an environment that supports and encourages healthy choices.

What do you do in your household to foster fitness and health? Share your tips and get advice in the momlogic community.

next: Woman Makes Clothes Out of Her Own Hair

Woh I love your content , saved to fav! .

Lane Wujcik April 4, 2011, 6:40 AM

those numbers: Pythagoras

credit card debt April 4, 2011, 8:33 AM

I feel that is a captivating element, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Infrequently I am getting so much in a rut that I just really feel like a record.

rankpay promo code April 4, 2011, 11:50 AM

Grande alberino! Ringraziamenti per richiedere tempo scrivere qualcosa che sia realmente degno lettura. Trovo troppo spesso l’Info inutile e non qualcosa che sia realmente relativo. Ringraziamenti per i vostri duri lavori.

intensivkurs körkort göteborg April 4, 2011, 4:02 PM

I your writing style genuinely enjoying this internet site .

Replacement Windows April 4, 2011, 5:35 PM

I’m getting a browser error, is anyone else?

watch daybreakers April 4, 2011, 11:22 PM

Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Keith Magnuson Jersey April 5, 2011, 6:46 AM

There are some engrossing points in duration therein article but I don’t know if I see all of them heart to halfway .

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 2:49 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

BMW forums April 5, 2011, 8:53 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

customizable t-shirts April 6, 2011, 7:12 AM

Just right points?I might be aware that as someone who actually doesn’t write on blogs much (in reality, this may be my first submit), I don’t think the time period ‘lurker’ could be very changing into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the slightest degree , but possibly the blogosphere could get a hold of a greater, non-creepy identify for the 90% people that experience studying the content .

Life Plus vitamins April 6, 2011, 5:27 PM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it will really enhance viewers’ understanding.

Health April 6, 2011, 6:49 PM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have remember your stuff prior to and you’re simply too magnificent. I really like what you’ve obtained here, certainly like what you are stating and the best way through which you assert it. You’re making it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. That is really a tremendous website.

caneta espiã April 6, 2011, 7:38 PM

Hey there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

paris vacation apartments April 6, 2011, 9:50 PM

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

how fast is my internet connection April 7, 2011, 12:26 AM

Regards for this tremendous post, I am glad I noticed this website on yahoo.

Life Plus international April 7, 2011, 2:07 AM

Have a grateful day today on this fine sunday.

contemporary art paintings new york April 7, 2011, 6:50 AM

Great information. Thanks very much.

Wholesale Chanel Wallets April 7, 2011, 7:57 AM

From all the blogs I’ve be familiar with lately, this one seems to be the most moving - it gave me something to think about.

srebro April 7, 2011, 11:03 AM

Hey I found your site in google and like your style. Just wanna leave a big thanks a show some love :). By the way - really nice and simple temaplate :) Keep it up !