Wake Up! Our Kids Are FAT ... Fix It!

As parents, we MUST help stop this horrifying epidemic. Momlogic expert Dr. Cara Natterson gives her advice on this weighty issue.

teens laughing at obese girl

Consider the numbers: One in three adolescents and two out of three adults are either overweight or obese in this country. Why is this happening ... and what can we do?

"Obesity is one of the hardest things to recognize for a parent," says ML pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson. "Parents don't want to recognize that their child is having a problem, because it is the last thing they want for them. It puts the parents in crisis mode because of all that obesity implies: the loss of self-confidence, bullying, health implications, sadness."

This is an issue that can absolutely no longer be ignored, but what exactly IS this disease that's eating away at the health of this country, and what can we do to prevent it?

A child is considered obese if their weight is at least 10% higher than what is recommended for their height and body type. Studies have shown that a child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80% chance of becoming an obese adult.

Think being fat doesn't hurt? Take a look at these teens, speaking openly about their struggles with obesity on a recent episode of "Tyra."

Dr. Cara says there is a simple explanation to why a large part of our youth is obese: "Our portions are too big, we eat too many calories and we do not exercise like we used to," she says. "We drive, we watch TV, we sit. The human body needs to move."

You must take a no-nonsense approach to setting rules in your household, says Dr. Cara. "Teens just as much as kids need rules," she explains. "The idea of their right to privacy and having computers and televisions in their rooms is not the correct way of approaching this."

Dr. Cara's advice:

1. Put computers in the kitchen or a space where kids can be monitored. Allow them two hours of "screen time" daily -- this includes computer, television, video games, iPods.

2. Apply the same rules for everyone in the house, not just the child or teen that is struggling with obesity. Everyone has the same amount of screen time and exercise time, and everyone eats similar foods. Make this a family pact so as to not alienate your obese child.

3. Create activity times with Mom and Dad. One day a week, Dad takes the kids out for a physical activity, and the other day Mom does it. Kids don't want to be fat, but oftentimes, they are too young to join a gym. Demonstrate the importance of physical activity.

4. Remove soda and junk food from the household. Create a healthy family environment for everyone.

5. Limit fast food, take-out, and eating out. Prepare foods at home as a family. Eat a diet rich in calcium and fiber, and limit the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.

6. Enforce a rule of one hour of physical activity a day. (Otherwise, they won't receive their screen time.)

Most importantly, create an environment that supports and encourages healthy choices.

What do you do in your household to foster fitness and health? Share your tips and get advice in the momlogic community.

next: Woman Makes Clothes Out of Her Own Hair
Cletus Talerico April 7, 2011, 10:21 PM

Favorable information and really good design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and taking the time into the stuff you publish! Sublime project!

Air Max 2012 April 7, 2011, 10:35 PM

Advantageously, the send is in fact the sweetest on this creditable topic.

links directory April 7, 2011, 11:13 PM

I’ve been studying your entries during my morning break, and I will have to admit the entire article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I believed I would allow you to realize that for a few reason this weblog does no longer view neatly in Web Explorer 8. I wish Microsoft would prevent converting their software. I have a query for you. May you thoughts exchanging weblog roll links? That would be in point of fact neat!

Dean U. Kumar April 8, 2011, 6:16 AM

Remarkable

Ephedrine April 8, 2011, 7:15 AM

Hi! Ich bin über Google zu deinem Journal gekommen und will auch eine Stellungnahme hinterlassen. Mir gefällt das Template ungemein gut und ich werde auf alle Fälle zeitnah wiedererscheinen. Ich wäre froh, wenn dir dir auch meine Site mit dem Topic Ephedrin betrachten würdest. Ephedra Stacks sind der beste Fatburner für schnelle Verbrennung von Körperfett. Danke schön und viel Spaß weiterhin mit deiner Seite!

silver bullion rounds April 8, 2011, 10:17 PM

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to offer one thing back and aid others like you aided me.

Home Solar Power April 8, 2011, 11:12 PM

Heya can I reference a few of the insight seen in this entry if I reference you together with a link back to your website?

Tonia Filipelli April 9, 2011, 12:44 AM

very good submit, i definitely love this web site, keep on it

grafologia April 9, 2011, 5:40 AM

In my opinion it is a truely point of view. I most often meet people who rather say what they suppose others want to hear. Good and well written! I will come back to your site for sure!

hdmi kabel köpa April 9, 2011, 12:58 PM

so much superb information on here, : D.

intensivkurs för körkort göteborg April 9, 2011, 9:07 PM

Thank you for sharing with us, I conceive this website truly stands out : D.

marissa April 12, 2011, 1:09 PM

omg she looks my size! Im 13… i knew i was fat!! I HATE MYSELF! and my mom doesnt know what i mean by that… i cut myself because it makes me feel relaxed and good for awhile… but then i go to school and everybody has a boyfriend and i cant get one because boys only like pretty girls… i grew my bangs out to cover my face and eyes because i hate everything about me… and i dont have as many friends as the other skinny girls… today in schools and pretty much everywhere YOU MUST BE SKINNY TO BE PRETTTY! i just know i cant be the girls that feels this way… or maybe i am… i would die to be pretty enough…

louis vuitton Handbags May 4, 2011, 11:02 PM

You could definitely see your expertise within the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

Lose Belly Fat May 28, 2011, 6:45 PM

I agree, back to basics is the only solution to obesity, not as much watching calorie intake as eating the right foods, regular exercise and lots of discipline is the answer to losing belly fat.
Thanks we need this.
Warren

wholesale Super Bowl jerseys June 15, 2011, 1:50 AM

Advantageously, the advise is in authenticity the sweetest on this merited topic.