Associated Press: Police say a teenager who soaked her hair in gasoline to try to kill head lice was severely burned when the gas fumes ignited and set her head ablaze.
Eighteen-year-old Jessica Brooks was in serious condition Thursday at the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville, Ky. She was burned Sunday night at her apartment in Evansville, Ind.
Police said Brooks was in her bathroom letting her hair soak in gasoline just before a pilot light from a water heater ignited the gas fumes and her hair.
Investigator Richard Howard said Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over more than half of her body.
Brooks was taking high school night classes in hopes of graduating this year.
Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.