Six Disturbing Viral Kid Videos

Are you an irresponsible parent if your kid becomes a YouTube viral sensation?

Used to be the only embarrassing thing our parents had on us was that naked bearskin rug snapshot tucked in a scrapbook. No one ever saw it -- except when Mom pulled it out to show one of our dates. But now, thanks to YouTube, we can humiliate our kids in front of millions and in the process turn them into Internet stars! Sure, it is tempting to share these moments with others online or even try for 15 mega-bytes of fame....but should we? We asked respecte clinical psychologist Dr. Cara Gardenswartz to weigh in.

David After Dentist
Since it was put up earlier this month, this video has over 12 million views. Gotta wonder: how cool is it to tape your kid all hopped up on Novocaine for all the world to see? Are we destined to see David's follow-up video 30 years from now: "David After Therapist"?

The Doctor Says...
"David's parents are getting a big laugh out of his current state," says Dr. Gardenswartz. "To the viewer, it's sickly funny. However, what this video doesn't highlight is the painful procedure he just had, followed by the pain he will feel when the medicine wears off. It's sad that his parents and viewers around the world are having fun at David's expense."

Blood
This little boy is trying to tell his dad his baby brother is hurt. Yes, he does say the word "blood" in an interesting way -- but should his father really be laughing in his face?  Finally, the kid has had enough and and screams, "Not funny!" We agree.

The Doctor Says...
"There is nothing funny about a helpless little boy trying to tell his parents that his baby brother is bleeding," Dr. Gardenswartz explains. "The older child is clearly terrified and does not know if his brother is safe. Furthermore, his parents are not demonstrating that they will protect his brother (and therefore him) if they are hurt. This type of interaction can only foster a sense of insecurity, and a lack of feeling safe in the world."

Toddler Dancing to Beyonce's "Single Ladies"

One comment on YouTube says of this video, "It's disgusting the kind of sexuality young girls are exposed to nowadays." What do you think?

The Doctor Says...
"I don't disagree with the YouTube comment," Dr. Gardenswartz says. "You can only imagine what else this little girl sees (and eventually will imitate) in the background."

Chubby Cuppy Cake Boy

You've got to wonder about the parents who let this video of their son, who suffers from a rare kidney disorder, become a viral video phenomenon.

The Doctor Says...
"It is not even clear to me what the 'cake boy's' parents are trying to accomplish here," says Dr. Gardenswartz. "This video, like everything else on the Internet, is immortal. For years to come, this boy may be a victim of ridicule and humiliation. It's impossible to fathom what the potential benefit of posting this video online may be. Is the goal to foster pride? To a casual observer, this boy's medical condition is reduced to nothing less than a side show gag."

Kid Singing Britney Spears Scared to Death by His Mom

Six million people have seen this kid get the sh*t scared out of him when his mother bursts into his room unannounced. The mom obviously thinks the boy's reaction is hilarious because you can hear her cackling  If this little guy becomes a closet cross dresser, you can bet good old Mom had something to do with it.

The Doctor Says...
"This little boy is expressing himself artistically privately, and now his self-expression is being ridiculed publicly," observes Dr. Gardenswartz.

Kid Scared of Puppets
The poor kid in this video is freaked out by an innocent puppet show. FREAKED. Whoever let the camera roll without comforting him is cruel and whoever put it up on the Internet is worse.

The Doctor Says...
"The child is feeling anxious and should be pulled away from the puppet show," says Dr. Gardenswartz. "Once again, a child is left feeling unsafe in the world because he is not protected emotionally. Put down the camera, and remove the child. At the end of the video, he is reduced to hitting himself over the head with a chair. This is practically child abuse."

So what does this all mean? "Children should not be on YouTube," says Dr. Gardenswartz. "If a parent wants to share a video of their child with their friends or family, they can do so privately. Putting children on video on the web has too many ramifications. Videos online live forever -- and will follow the child for the rest of their lives. This could lead to ridicule at school, humiliation, low self-esteem and embarrassment. Parents are supposed to protect their children -- physically and emotionally. It's solely self-serving of the parents to use their children in this way."

Do you agree with our expert? Would you put your kid on YouTube? Sound off in the momlogic community!

next: Low-carb? Low-fat? Study Finds Calories Count More
Natalie February 25, 2009, 7:17 AM

Okay where do we begin. Who has this kind of time! Poor puppet kid. The poor “blood” child. At least he was being the responsible one. My goodness. And though I don’t think there was anything wrong with the little girl dancing to single ladies, I have to wonder why these people put there children’s images out there for everyone to see. Are we in a celebrity five minutes of fame society? I’m afraid I just don’t get Youtube. Sorry for ranting.

Kara February 25, 2009, 8:26 AM

Only a man would videotape his son messed up like that and find it funny. Personally I don’t think parents should be allowed to post public videos of children under a certain age, period.

redmum February 25, 2009, 8:28 AM

While some of the videos I definitely would not put up of children, I find it hypocritical to slam the parents here when this site has posted many of these before, including one with a child hoking out frogs from her underwear. In that post Mom Logic says “we all agree this is one that can not be missed”. While calling those videos disturbing, I find the posting of that video particularly disturbing.

It may be cute as a home movie that stays at home, putting in on the internet, or sending to telly prog, is seriously suspect, not to mention unfair to the child, and I am sure extremely titillating to the more unsavoury members of internet community.

There probably should be a little of practise what you preach here.

Wendi February 25, 2009, 9:02 AM

I have kids and I would not put any videos on the internet with them in it. Although some may be funny and I would love to share with the world, I will just share with family. I think there are to many people out there that like this kind of thing in the wrong way and that just makes me sick.

Jessica February 25, 2009, 9:53 AM

I honestly don’t have a problem with parents wanting to share some videos of their kids, especially when they are uploading them mainly for family and friends to view. I put a few videos of my daughter walking on youtube so my family who lives several states away could see it. However, I think in a few of these videos the parents put it on for everyone to get a good a laugh. Which I think is wrong. The one that bothered me the most was the little girl dancing though. I think that little girls are exposed to way too many sexual images these days. I personally have NEVER let my child watch ANY kind of music video. It’s not for little eyes to see. She’ll discover all of that soon enough as it is. I want her mind to stay as clean and pure for as long as possible. The other videos didn’t bother me as much, but that’s just me. I can see how it is getting out of hand though.

Selfish Mom February 25, 2009, 10:12 AM

Please, you’re overreacting. Those kids are all adorable.

Michelle February 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

If MomLogic is even suggesting these videos could be inappropriate then why are they showing them? Why not just write about the issue?

mommyNo February 25, 2009, 10:48 AM

I have enjoyed all of these videos but If I were the parents of that little girl I’d be so worried that some sicko was watching my daughter dance…scary

MrsEmbers February 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

I just posted about that little girl dancing a few weeks ago. I don’t have a problem with a little kid wearing a leotard or whatever that is- I don’t think she’s dressed too “sexy” or anything- but really? Beyonce? Kinda sexy for the toddler set- especially to post for the world to see. I don’t know- I found it a little creepy, but most people probably just think it’s cute.

I have lots of videos of my 3-year old dancing- we think it’s great. We haven’t put them on YouTube, though. I’d hate to embarrass him.

Sarah  February 25, 2009, 11:41 AM

I have a youtube account and I went to comment on these videos because a couple of them really ticked me off. The one of the little guy just getting out of the dentist….sad. He was totally confused and needed a hug and reassurance, not a laugh in the face from his father. I think the dad is training him to think that being drunk and high are ok. I assume the dad will be the first one to get him drunk…and record it.

E February 25, 2009, 11:53 AM

I saw an interview with the dentist kids father. He said he took the video and posted it to show long distance family and friends.

I think part of the issue is that people don’t understand that when they post something online it is no longer private.

Anything can become viral.

Personally I see a bunch of cute kids when I look at these,but no one knows who else is watching.

Anonymous February 25, 2009, 12:07 PM

Everyone thinks their kid is a star.

leelee February 25, 2009, 12:24 PM

The only one I thought was truely inappropriate was the boy coming from the dentist. He was under the influence and probably not feeling well. I had to be put under once at the dentist to remove a tooth, and I really didn’t have a good time with the after effect. I was miserable. The poor boy couldn’t even tell what reality was! The cupcake boy was adorable and I’m sorry to hear he has a disease, but the rest were no big deal.

kerry February 25, 2009, 12:48 PM

I feel some of these videos are not that bad and some are maybe treading the line. There’s a little overreacting going on. The girl dancing was no big deal. The boy getting scared by his mom while doing Britney was no big deal. I don’t like the boy saying blood and his father laughing at him. And anyone saying they didn’t watch the boy after the dentist one and not laugh is lying.

Dana February 25, 2009, 12:56 PM

I feel that the videos are fine to have in your own collection. I think the boy saying ‘blood’ is funny. If it were my own son, I may have taped it too. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t have posted it for the world to see. If you want to share a video with family in other states, there are a lot of other ways to do it without making the video public. Personally, I think that the little girl dancing to Beyonce is disgusting. Why couldn’t she be dancing to ‘The Wheels on the Bus’ or some other CHILDREN’S song. If you have ever seen the Beyonce video yourself, you would probably feel the same way. Beyonce is in only a leotard and high heels, which is why the girl was dressed that way too. That little girl was glued to the screen trying to copy every move Beyonce made. It wasn’t just an innocent little dance. She is idolizing Beyonce at such a young age. Why do parents insist on taking away kids innocence earlier and earlier? Keep the home movies exactly where they belong, at home.

Amy February 25, 2009, 4:38 PM

Hmmm…looks like mom is having more fun than her daughter. While watching the singles ladies video note the beer bottle on the floor by the couch…

SesshoumarusGirl February 25, 2009, 5:23 PM

Someone was whining about the beer bottle in the “single girls” vid, big deal. Its not like the girl is drinking in in the vid, calm down!

Otherwise, the only video that bugged me was the “cuppy cake” one, that poor kid is ill and the parents are just making fun of it, that’s sad.

DP February 25, 2009, 7:21 PM

Several people mentioned that posting these videos here make us just as bad, but that isn’t the case. They were posted here to illustrate a concern the author has and to provoke discussion - which they have. How could we discuss this without seeing it? It’s like people who want books banned that they have never read - it wouldn’t make sense.
Now, as for the concern itself, I agree with the person who thought there should be an age limit. Parents are putting videos of children of all ages on YouTube and any sleazebag can see them (not to mention the embarrassment). It really isn’t safe or fair to the children.
I have many friends who put videos and photos of their kids online - on personal, password protected websites. They email friends and family the link and password and let everyone know when an update has been posted. This is a much safer option - and it doesn’t make the kids feel like fools when people they don’t know are laughing at them.
Sorry for the long post, but even though I have no kids of my own, I get very angry when people mess with, make fun of, or endanger children.

Anonymous February 25, 2009, 10:56 PM

Um, that first kid is not on Novocaine… Do you mean he was recovering from nitrus oxide or some kind of anasthesia?

coloradomom February 25, 2009, 11:11 PM

Ask any person who works with sex addicts, etc, what is wrong with the young lady dancing to the beyonce song.
We’re making our children way too sexualized. And am I the only one who noticed what appears to be a beer bottle on the floor in that video? Geez. I hope that was just some root beer.
Some family members were showing us the “Blood” video during thanksgiving, and we all thought that was really cute. But when I see little girls being portrayed as “Divas” in that way, it really makes me cringe. Our whole society is sex, sex, sex. I’d rather watch a video that stars a little kid who’s made a really cool science experiment….
There are few of those though. Mostly because there are way more sheep for parents out there, than parents who have some common sense.
The cupcake one… disgusting. I feel so sorry for that child. UGH. Come on man!!! Have some respect for your own family. Where’s the “It’s us against the world” attitude? Instead we see something more like “Look at this blubbering kid and laugh with us”? Am I missing the point? You can make the URL’s private on Youtube. So you can still send a video of your “High” kid and still not have it become viral….
DAH