When Thinner Isn't Better

Guest blogger Dani Klein Modisett: How do you tell a woman who is excited to be svelte after several pregnancies that she's taken it too far?

woman not eating

"No thanks, I already ate at home," my dear friend tells the waiter approaching the table. She was more than 15 minutes late to our lunch and seeing as I am going to be nursing my son until he's 30, I was starving and had already ordered.

"Sorry I didn't get here on time," she said, sitting down and dropping her purse on the table with a thud. "I had a hard time leaving the house today," she continued, pulling her phone out of the bag and placing it on the table.

It was then that I noticed something was different about her arms. Where once they looked like arms, they now resembled long toothpicks covered in flesh. And her face was gaunt too, like an Edvard Munch sketch.

"That's cool," I said, diving in to the breadbasket like an aardvark that is handed a bag of termites. "Excuse me, can we get some olive oil?" I barked to a passing waiter. It's very important to have fat in your diet when you're breastfeeding. Which is, of course, one of the reasons I am still breastfeeding.

"So what's going on?" I asked my friend, wiping crumbs from my mouth.

"I don't know ... I'm just really tired all the time. Two kids is a lot."

Especially if you don't eat, I think, dipping my piece of focacia in the newly arrived pool of oil.

"Well, are you eating enough?" I asked, as casually as you can ask a person who looks like a well-dressed skeleton.

"What do you mean? I eat all the time. I had a whole croissant yesterday."

"Really?" I had two muffins, half a chicken, a latte, and a 16 oz. container of Faye greek-style yogurt. Before 12 noon. I didn't say that out loud because it's a revolting amount of food even to a normal person, let alone an anorexic.

That's harsh. Or is it? Could it be that this person I have known through two pregnancies and well into her 40's has somehow developed a predominantly twenty-something eating disorder?

And if so, what can I do to help her?

next: Neighbor: Octuplets From Sperm Donor
tablet pc March 21, 2011, 1:10 PM

The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to learn, but I really thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you possibly can repair if you happen to werent too busy in search of attention.

Meredith Kritz March 21, 2011, 7:24 PM

Cheers for the sources in the page in addition to in some others comments.

moth trap March 21, 2011, 8:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this helpful info!

does wealthy affiliate work March 21, 2011, 11:03 PM

Hey this is a good write up. Can I use some of it on my website ? I would obviously link to your article so people could read the full post if they wanted to. Thanks either way.

זקוקים לעזרה ועוד תוכלו לקבל עזרה מאנשי מקצוע מוסמכים בתחום זה.

droid htc March 22, 2011, 4:23 AM

Hi! I believed your submit was awesome and will go to frequently.

health dental March 22, 2011, 4:56 AM

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

credit card March 22, 2011, 5:48 AM

thanks for this awesome post

health fitness March 22, 2011, 6:28 AM

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

herr March 22, 2011, 3:14 PM

See, it is great to finally see somebody applying some sensible logic to this. Thanks.

Sol Dutchess March 22, 2011, 6:48 PM

Intriguing, how do I apply this?

Bob Belloso March 22, 2011, 9:48 PM

I am not positive the place you are getting your info, however good topic. I must spend some time learning much more or figuring out more. Thank you for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.

Antoine Holcey March 22, 2011, 9:53 PM

Many thanks for the info in the article along with in other people responses.

evo March 23, 2011, 1:56 AM

With thanks for writing this weblog and sharing it with all the world. I would like to know how you can go for examining your rss web site. Please let me know if possible.

expert credit March 23, 2011, 6:18 AM

thanks about your post. very gud.

droid htc March 23, 2011, 9:11 AM

Hello! I have read some of your post here and found it interesting and it makes a lot of sense. Plus i love your theme here. Thumbs up! Keep on sharing!

debt assistance get March 23, 2011, 10:08 AM

I’d like to write like this too

forums tourism March 23, 2011, 4:46 PM

Really thankful am I because I’ve observed this beneficial content. I’ll check this out and see if it will deliver the results on my weblog too.

Jobs Finder March 23, 2011, 6:27 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

best video projector March 23, 2011, 7:23 PM

Formula for success: Rise early, perform hard, strike oil.