YouTube Attacker's Mom Arrested

She is charged with battery and domestic violence for beating her daughter.

christina garcia mugshot youtube cheerleader attacker mom arrested

Like mother, like daughter?

The mother of a Florida teen arrested in a fight that later showed up on YouTube found herself behind bars after two violent altercations with her daughter over the weekend.

Deputies arrested Christina Garcia, 35, on Saturday night. Garcia is the mother of Mercades Nichols, one of several teens arrested in April 2008 after the group videotaped themselves beating another teen girl. That video was posted on YouTube.

Investigators told the station that Garcia and Nichols had one fight around 4 p.m. and another at 5 p.m. Garcia allegedly grabbed Nichols by the hair, kicked her and spit at her. Garcia was arrested and charged with two counts of battery and domestic violence.

She was released on bond.

"At this point I can't comment on the incident, but at the end of the day she's still my daughter," Garcia told MyFOXTampaBay. "I love her and I just think it's best that we go our separate ways right now. And that's all."

After the ambush video appeared on YouTube, Momlogic investigated what happens when teens get violent for fame:

Do you think this mother's violent ways led to her daughter ambushing a fellow cheerleader on video? Do mean moms = mean girls? Comment below.

next: When the Flu Turns Deadly
ashley February 19, 2009, 7:36 AM

GHETTO!! Of course she learned the violent behavior from her mother. That’s really sad that a mother would say, “we just need to go our separate ways” about her teenage daughter. Wow!! I can’t even imagine what a horrible life that girl has had.

sun February 19, 2009, 12:19 PM

Of couse the mother wants to part ways with her daughter. She is just like her.

SLS February 22, 2009, 9:56 PM

On TV parents always find the right words to persuade their “wild” child to behave sensibly.

Grandma February 22, 2009, 9:58 PM

This sounds like a very rebellious teenager.. there is no indication that Mom has always been violent. I’m sure most of you have wanted to smack their teenagers (if you’re honest about it) and sounds like this Mom had enough. Yes, it is better that they part ways until the hurt has eased. Hopefully, there is a grandmother, aunt or sibling willing to take her until she matures enough not to beat other kids and to behave so her mother doesn’t go off the deep end.

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 10:01 PM

Of course it contributed, she lives what she has learned. “Good example mom”

SA February 22, 2009, 10:06 PM

What’s the point of having a child if you’re too stupid and lazy to raise it properly? Does anyone really think that child will ever be a good mother? I thought she would have driven to Nebraska and dumped her kid there like all the other people who should have never been parents. This doesn’t surprise me at all.

Mel February 22, 2009, 10:09 PM

You can’t automatically blame the parents. We have never even spanked our 13 year old daughter, yet this morning she threatened her father with scissors because she did not want to get out of bed to go to church. Don’t throw stones, it could easily happen to you!

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 10:13 PM

I think “Mom” should have sat her down with a bowl of ice cream and explained to her that her behavior was not nice. Then the girl should be sent on a one month vacation to Southern France with the family credit cards. Thus allowing her the time needed to reflect on her bad behavior.
Later when the girl is a full blown criminal and beating some other person we can give her a nice new car for breaking her nail when she gouged the victims eyeball out.
Wake up this girl is long overdue for dose of her own medicine.

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 10:15 PM

She should have beat her daughter when the teenaged brat was videotaped beating on that other girl. People these days are afraid to beat their children, but this generation coming up is by far the most spoiled, disrespectful bunch so far. Thats because in my day, our parents would spank us if we did something wrong. There are but so many timeouts or times you can tell a child not to do something until you get tired and spank them. I don’t condone child abuse but a smack here and there when it is warranted is not abuse…its called DISCIPLINE.

mom of a teenager February 22, 2009, 10:17 PM

There does come a time when a teenager can go too far. I think there is always more to the story than what appears, especially where teenagers are concerned. As a parent of an older teenager, I have been on the other side of much manipulation. After being on that side of a teenager and seeing the kids in action these days, I think it is avery hard to pass judgement against a parent in most circumstances. If you haven’t been on the side of an unruly teenager, then you can not even comprehend what you would do.

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 10:21 PM

This is just another example of why laws need to be changed so that fathers have equal time with their children. It is a fact that 95% of our prison population were raised by single moms and it’s destroying our country and draining our welfare system!

Nic February 22, 2009, 10:25 PM

Of course….Children who get hit or are controlled by violent parents reflect that behavior and hit others. Yet another reason not to control children with physical punishment of any kind.

AGoodDaughter February 22, 2009, 10:29 PM

There is a difference between spanking/disciplining your child and grabbing their hair/kicking/punching/spitting on someone. I was a pretty good kid and rarely needed disciplining but I did get spanked when I was out of hand. Spare the rod and spoil the child but abuse begets abusive members of society… I won’t presume to judge other people and comment on others’ lives when I don’t walk in their shoes.

jcb February 22, 2009, 10:29 PM

To mom of an teenager: I agree with you completely! There are a lot of parents that no matter what they do, their kids still remain unruly (and yes I do know personaly). My son is locked up right now, but no matter what I did, it never mattered. Good posting! To MEL: If my kid ever pulled out any weapon and threatened anyone, they would definately get major discipline!!! You are asking for a rough road ahead of you if you allow that kind of behavior from your child. Good luck to you if you do not stop that now!

Bec February 22, 2009, 10:31 PM

I don’t believe that her mom should have done what she did but, let’s see, most of today’s parents are scared to death of spanking their children for fear they’ll be turned into to police for abuse. Now look at how the kids of today are acting. They have no respect for adults at all. I don’t believe in beating a child but we’ve got to start disciplining our kids or our society is in a word of trouble. I have had to go to my 12 year old son’s school 2x in one week and spanked him. He has not been in trouble since and his grades are back up. I have been to my daughter’s school 1 time spanked her and she hasn’t been in trouble since. Both kids get good grades and their teachers think they are wonderful because they are well behaved. My kids know there are negative consequences to bad behavior and positive consequences to good behavior.

Nicole February 22, 2009, 10:34 PM

Oh of course they do. If you grow up in a violent household you are bound to be violent yourself. I grew up in an enviorment where my father abused me and my sisters emotionally with words, always cussing and screaming at us, I found myself yelling at my child until I decided to do something about it, it is all about the enviorment and what they call a learned behavior, I believe that it is true that if you grow up in these types of enviorments that you are bound to show the same characteristics as the violent people in your home. It is a very sad situation for these children but there is always help out there.

Rhonda February 22, 2009, 10:37 PM

Doesn’t take class to be stupid. Class acts do not act that way. Then they wonder what is wrong with this world today. I was raised with the attitude that it takes a better person to walk away from a fight. But a person who fights isn’t worth spit.

Ann February 22, 2009, 10:39 PM

Children learn what they are modeled. Does anyone seriously believe that this was the first time the mom hit her child? As for those of you who equate spanking with discipline: the word discipline means to teach. What do you want to teach your child? That bigger, stronger people who use violence can make you do what they want you to do? Or would you rather teach them that they can learn to thrive in this world while respecting others and themselves? Do you want them to learn self discipline and self control? Then model it!

Anonymous February 22, 2009, 10:41 PM

IF THERES NOTHING GOOD THAT COMES OUT OF YOUTUBE AND ONLY NEGETIVE DISGUSTING CRAP LIKE THIS..YOUTUBE SHOULD NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE…KIDS ARENT GONNA STOP..TAKE YOUTUBE OFF AND THEY WILL STOP THESE PATHETIC VIDEOS TO GET “FAME”

nojua February 22, 2009, 10:49 PM

My mom had six kids and we were raised the same way. But out of the six kids she had there were two that gave her problems. Sometime it does not matter if the parent was a good supported parent, or loving parent, if your kid is head strong or have problems with authority they will do what they want. I had one daughter and i raised her up in church, she had her own room, we spent time with each other she was a gifted child always ahead of the class. But once she reach the teen stage she took on her own way of wanting to do things, no matter what i tried, punishment, counseling, nothing help. She was very head strong. Now today she is 29 years old with 4 children of her own. One of her children is 12 yrs old and the other three are still toddler. She is married, but she now understand the things parents go through and we are now best friends. I told this story because every child is different, what work for one may not work for the others.