13-Year-Old Dad Isn't a Father After All

After a month of speculation, the DNA test indicates he is not the father.

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Alfie Patten was believed to be Britain's youngest father after his 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, gave birth to baby girl Maisie.

But then many other boys claimed they also slept with the mother, who had previously said that Alfie was the only boy she had slept with. As a result, Alfie took a DNA test, which indicated that he's not the father.

The Mirror reported:

The result will be a blow to Alfie who was "devastated" by the boys' claims and "adored" Maisie.

He was convinced he was the dad after a single night of unprotected sex with Chantelle.

Before he took the test, he said: "I didn't know about DNA tests before but mum explained it's when they do a swab in your mouth and it tells if you're the dad. So if I have it, they can all shut up."

His mum Nicole, 43, added at the time: "It had not even crossed Alfie's mind whether Chantelle had not been faithful to him. He's absolutely devastated that these lads say they slept with her."

Interestingly, the Mirror has now pulled down their story.

Hopefully Alfie can deal with the disappointment of not being a father, and Maisie can get the love and support she needs and deserves.

next: Do I Tell My Friend Her Teen Had Risky Sex?
ame i. March 27, 2009, 3:00 PM

I understand he is hurt and disappointed but he should also be angry at that girl for using him to get publicity for herself. She was probably hoping for a reality show and book deals like Octomom.

Sarah Jane  March 27, 2009, 3:09 PM

Love this kid, Alfie. Even if it was for nothing, he did all the right things as a dad, (apart from the becoming a dad.) And I hope the affection he displayed as a faux father will continue when he becomes a real (though hopefully older) dad.

Chrissy March 28, 2009, 12:38 AM

I think maybe of us thought Alfie wasn’t physically matured enough to have fahtered a child.
He does seem to be a good kid. So the parents must being doing something right in his upbringing - even if he did have sex. Most likely he was pressured by his older girlfriend and wasn’t matured enough to say no.

jamie March 28, 2009, 7:22 AM

this is all so sad-besides his age-he is just so little and child like-atleast now he can live his life. hope he learned his lesson. The girls mother and father should be ashamed-@ 15 having so many possible baby fathers…sad. makes me scared for when my daughter reaches that age.

Anonymous March 28, 2009, 12:06 PM

I agree; that he was raised well to want to take care of the baby as his responsibility. He loved the girl and he loved “his” baby. There is too much advertisement and time in the media spent on sex and so the kids are getting younger and younger at experimenting with it. How do we teach our kids that that is way too young to be engaging in sex? There is so much more to it than the physical act- so many emotional and physical consequences you have to be prepared for. I have an infant son; what is the world going to be like by the time he reaches 13?

Stephanie V. March 28, 2009, 2:31 PM

poor kid - seriously they are both too young to deal with his and I have two words “parental responsibility”

Pam T March 29, 2009, 1:12 PM

He looks like a baby himself

Sxrgjmke June 25, 2009, 2:36 AM