A Parent's Walk of Shame

One babysitter uncovers Mommy's dirty little secret.

drunk parents sleeping and baby crying

Mary Poppins: I have been a babysitter and nanny to a variety of families over the years, and the one common denominator between all of them is that each and every parent has stumbled home drunk on more than one occasion. Now when I say drunk, I do not mean mildly intoxicated, but still able to function. Nope, I mean so drunk that I hear you attempting and failing to get your key in the door, I smell you from 10 feet away, and you wobble towards me asking me how your kids were.

I am glad that you had a fantastic night, but I really do not need to hear the slurred words coming out of your mouth. In fact, it would be great if you could keep it down, because I would hate to have to leave you with screaming kids because you woke them up. Although, since you just told me that you gave half of my paycheck to the bartender because he poured a shot directly into your mouth, I'm beginning to reconsider ...

I like to have fun just as much as the next person, but dear God, I hope by the time I am your age, I can handle myself better in public. What is it with you parents today who think that taking a load off can only be accomplished by downing a vodka bottle?

Don't get me wrong ... I love spending time with your kids and earning the extra income, but why don't you take a night off and spend it with your own children? Trade a vodka tonic for some Diet Coke once in a while. It will be less embarrassing and hopefully more rewarding ... plus, there's no hangover to contend with the next day.

next: Happy Birthday, Barbie! I Still Love You
Anonymous March 9, 2009, 5:36 PM

so what once I have a kid I am not allowed to go out and have a good time?

Anonymous March 9, 2009, 6:20 PM

shameful!

Heather March 9, 2009, 6:50 PM

You can go out and have a good time but if you’re as drunk as the author is describing then you need to have someone around who could take care of a child in an emergency.

ame i. March 9, 2009, 8:00 PM

I love having a good time, but if I have enough to drink to make it not possible to pass a breathalizer, I only do so if my daughters are spending the night with my parents and wouldn’t consider driving myself home. My husband and I “take turns” having drinks out.
What if a child had an accident or medical emergency? Greeting the ambulance slurring, stumbling and reeking of alcohol would buy a visit from Children’s Protective Services.
Anonymous does have the right to go out and have fun after having a child, but does not have the right to put a child in harm’s way or unintentionally deglect a child after having too much to drink.

ame i. March 9, 2009, 8:45 PM

On another note, I think it would be hard for me to leave children in the care of obviously intoxicated parents. You may be doing the entire family a favor by calling the police.

Anonymous March 9, 2009, 9:52 PM

I think that it’s embarrassing that some parents let themselves get to this state. What kind of example does that set for your children?? I am all for having a social life once you have children, its very important. But as a parent, you should set an example for your children about using alcohol responsibly. Save your crazy nights for when you’re on vacation with your friends, not for a week night when you have to take your kids to school in the morning…

jenndee March 9, 2009, 10:52 PM

Sounds like the writer doesn’t have any kids - neither do some of the commenters. Wait until you have your own kids.

kerry March 10, 2009, 12:42 AM

this post and some of the comments make me laugh. is this really momlogic worthy? haha sometimes this site cracks me up. now give me a shot!

Sarah March 10, 2009, 3:05 AM

I have children and since having them the thought of being woken up through the night or early the next morning with a hangover and having to deal with whatever they want has turned me off drinking to excess for the time being. Hangovers and loud children are not a good mix.

Sara Jane March 10, 2009, 11:11 AM

I am going to say something that most may disagree or take issue with. Here it is: I see no difference between alcohol consumption and ‘illegal’ drug use – marijuana and happy pills – ecstasy, antidepressants, and other ‘make me happy’ drugs – not prescribed by a physician. What I have seen is that alcohol use is more likely to cause bad behavior – the mean drunk – fights, traumas, car accidents, and individuals suffering the ill effects from over consumption, then a couple of ‘joints’ and a 60mg Zoloft – which is more likely to give one a night of laughs and then a good night sleep! With the exception of ‘hard drugs’ – heroin, PCP, Cocaine, Crack, etc., in the ER I rarely see issues related to marijuana use. I must emphatically state that under no condition should a PARENT/CAREGIVER be under the influence of any drug – alcohol or other which causes mental, physical, and emotional impairment and loss of good judgment while caring for a child of any age!

NYCity Mama March 24, 2009, 7:38 PM

Kerry, that cracked me up! lol!! Seriously…I think it’s funny the way people feel so entitled to judge.

Oigjxxap June 24, 2009, 3:58 PM