Bachelor: 'We Were Split Before the Show'

Bachelor Jason Mesnick comes clean to us about his shocking breakup.

The Bachelor

Just like the rest of America, our jaws dropped when we watched the drama that went down the other night on "The Bachelor." As moms, we had a lot of questions for single dad Jason Mesnick ... and some of our thoughts were not so nice. We wanted to know the truth, so we sat down with Jason for a candid, one-on-one interview. We learned that, for him, this was a terribly difficult decision that he did not take lightly, and he says never meant to hurt anyone.

Do you think Melissa knew your relationship was over?
Melissa definitely knew before going on [the show]. I mean our last conversation was: "Are you gonna to wear the ring? Because you know we're not together." And I think that she probably had some hopes still that maybe I was gonna change my mind, 'cause she was really upset. We didn't talk a couple of days before we shot. And that's OK. No matter what I said, she was going to be upset. We've talked about not being together over the phone but I had to tell her stuff in person, too. I'm not as cowardly as it might seem or as much of a jerk as I might seem for doing it on camera. But that was my only chance to do it.

Why did you propose to Melissa if you were that torn?
If I could go back again obviously -- yeah, I'm the stupid one. I shouldn't have proposed. But at the moment, I thought I was doing the right thing because she [Melissa] was the right one. She was the person I always dreamed of. Why wouldn't I propose to the person I've always been dreaming of?

Who do you think your mom preferred?
My mom wants me to be happy. And she met both Melissa and Molly and liked both of them. I know they spent one day together. She didn't really have a great judge of who she thought I should be with. She said as long as I'm happy, that's what's most important. But she said, "You know if you go through with [this breakup], people are going to really look down on you." And I said, "But it's the truth, and if people judge me for following my heart, I can't control that."

How does it feel to have all this criticism?
I think it's fair for people to have the right to judge me. But it was the truth.

How has your son Ty been handling all of this?
Ty has no idea what's going on. His experience with the show is: Yes, he did meet Melissa and Molly. But that's for one day, but through the experience when he was with me. It's not like it was just him and I playing and going to the beach and stuff. It's audio people, it's camera people, it's producers. And some of the girls even look like Melissa and Molly. You know, they are young producers and what not. And he has no idea. So he goes into it making a bunch of friends. The coolest guys are probably the camera operators that let him kind of get behind the camera and see how they work. That part was fun for him. But as far as the girls, I don't think he's able to kind of draw a conclusion from that.

Want more? Check out momlogic's RAW AND UNEDITED interview with Bachelor Jason Mesnick -- only in the momlogic community!

btm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpg

next: Jon SHOULD Cheat on Kate
Anonymous March 5, 2009, 7:58 PM

What ever this is horrible!

panterutza March 5, 2009, 8:51 PM

Oh, please Jason! Is this your latest PR scheme? You had to follow your heart? of course, then why didn’t you choose Molly the first time? Your actions are showing your true face! I also heard your version of ‘it was set up by producers!’ like if the producers will tell you to jump from the 24th floor without a parachute you will do it! Somewhat your credibility is close to 0 and if I would be your employer now will be a good time to get rid of dishones (manipulative) emloyees (it’s the economy!)which the regular ‘employee review’ could not detect. And even more if you have your own company, prepare for a downfall! I don’t doubt that you love your kid but it seems that you are using him too to get compassion. You were so ‘concerned’ with the right person for Ty and now you are stating that he doesn’t have a clue. Did you have any psychological evaluations lately? I cannot wish you anything that turn yourself in to a mental ward and see what is wrong with you (you might be bi-polar)! As the show is concerned Jill was blessed to not be picked up by a jerk like you and your first wife wise enough to divorce you! I wish you what you deserve!

K March 5, 2009, 10:22 PM

WE were all shocked but looking back melissa was all that excited when she saw him so we should have known she knew..first she should have kept the ring after being make to go through this and jason is just a loser!!! she is better off and obviously molly is a good actress “looking all surprised” and as for chris i think he and the producers are also caught up in alot of lies themselves! bachelorette??? i cann’t believe anyone could get caught up in this bu____it again… shame on you for not finding something better!

teamm melisaaa<3 March 5, 2009, 10:52 PM

yeahh right.
whatever hes still a “bastard”
what melissa said. she deserves so much
better than him anyways. and molly
was stupid to take him back, i mean
he didnt wannt to try to workoout
things with him and melissa. what does love
really mean to him at all anyways.
teammm melissaa:)

Chrissy March 5, 2009, 10:53 PM

Well, I saw part of Melissa’s appearance on the Ellen show and it doesn’t jive with what Jason told Momlogic. Melissa said that they were adjusting to not having the cameras arund and that she knew that things weren’t great (paraphrasing) but that she didn’t know that he was dumping her. She said she asked him before the show (After the Final Rose) if anything was going to happen and he said “Gosh no.”
And come on! He goes in six weeks from proposing to the wome he loved and was his “dream” to dumping her? I totally beleive that Molly was contacting Jason during those six weeks. He didn’t answer Melissa when she asked him on the show. He just said “Uh.”
And yes you should follow your heart but that is no excuse to behaving like a cad.

NotAFanNow March 5, 2009, 11:50 PM

I was such a fan of jason from the bachelorette. After his family worried he would get hurt again all I can say is Pot Meet Kettle Jason.

So disppointing, not a fan anymore.

Melissa I am sorry he took something away that NO one can bring back, Makes deanna and brad look like angels eh?

Jasmine March 6, 2009, 1:34 AM

Jason we aren’t buying the damage control you are trying so desperately to sell. We all know it was a set up and you and bug eyes are cheating scumbags and liars. Shame on you for exploiting Melissa and your own son for the big bucks. I suggest you take that homely walk of shamer and retreat to the tent never to be heard from again.

coffee March 6, 2009, 3:03 AM

I was pretty sure from the beginning that Jason Mesnick was a tool, then the finale eliminated all doubt

Christine March 6, 2009, 4:33 AM

So what is he trying to say that after the show Melissa didn’t see his family again, nor Ty. Didn’t they spend the holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas together? I don’t get why he would only say that his mom met the girls once and Ty that one day.

He is so full of it. I don’t think he realizes what he is doing or saying.

Esther March 6, 2009, 8:58 AM

I think he did the best thing,he could have waited six months or more,im so glad he woke up when he did.

april March 6, 2009, 10:19 AM

Jason has been exposed. You know he’s lying because he’s moving his lips.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 10:59 AM

Jason is a jerk! I hope him and Molly are miserable together…

Barbara March 6, 2009, 11:59 AM

Jason you do not know what LOVE is.All your doing is justifing your decision to hurt a great girl like Melissa. What I truly believe was going on and what happened is:Melissa was a lady through out the show and was truly invested in finding and having the Fairy Tale Ending, being a WIFE for life and a real mother to Ty. Melissa won you over through true love and commitment to share these things with you for what like you said a “Life Time”
What Molly had in mind was WINNING and she knew just how to do that: She played with your Head and I’m not talking about the one on your shoulders since obviously you don’t have one,all that drama on the balcony..Please save me..You are one fony jerk..Real men do not act that way..I think your whole family should go bury their heads in the sand after being so concerned for your broken heart the way they drilled Melissa about her sincerity.
Melissa your “Fairly Tale Proposal” is around the horizon, that was not a prince that proposed to you that was the frog you had to kiss to get to that Prince.I think Molly and Jason will get their just desert.Who would have taken this clown after what he did to Melissa? Not anyone with any common decency..She wanted to win at any cost. Congragulations to you both. I wish someone would find the X-Wife I’m sure she could enlighten us all to the real Jason. I won’t give up on the Bachelor, I do believe there were some true matches.The odds of about 3 out 11 matches is not bad in this world today!! Every now and then you get the Creep that lurks around the corner and preys on womens hearts. What goes around comes around Jason..

B March 6, 2009, 1:29 PM

OMG let it go People………..IT’S OVER…….the guy made a mistake…..
Now he is taking Molly for a spin…..TRUST ME if He’s really a jerk SHE will figure that out soon enough……Good Luck Jason and Molly

Sherry March 6, 2009, 1:57 PM

Its really stupid if he was in any kind
of doubt he shouldn’t of proposed to
Melissa, I mean, you think he would know that how he got hurt how it feels.
Molly and Jason they just don’t have
the click together like Melissa and
Jason. Hes a fool, he is lucky Melissa
didn’t punch him one, I would have. I
don’t think she will have any trouble
getting a man, shes beautiful, to me
Molly looked pretty wild sitting on top
of Jason and supposedly giving him a
rub down, it looked pretty sleezy, for
her part. I mean what people go to a
parlor and the person that is giving you
the rub down gets on top of you!!!! I
think Melissa would of never did that
she wouldn’t act like that.

Cheryl March 6, 2009, 2:04 PM

Everyone can keep saying that Jason is a jerk forever, but if he felt that Molly was really the one, then more power to him. Most of the couples from the show broke up anyway. If Jason & Molly are happy and if they are still together and happy, I wish them the best. Being on the show obviously generates a lot of emotion and stress in the people involved, and I would guess that none of us could really understand how it feels, unless we were in the same situation. The show is meant for entertainment. If true love results from that, I think it’s great. I truly felt bad for Melissa, and even shed a few tears for her, but she is better off, if Jason realized that he didn’t have deep feelings for her, that things ended sooner rather than later. Melissa, girl, you will be fine. You’re sweet, nice, beautiful; there’s a guy for you. Jason & Molly—Good Luck!!

B.W. March 6, 2009, 2:06 PM

I love Jason. He went with his heart. I guess none of you people have ever changed your mind about a relationship. Right, I thought so.

Life is too short to worry about what people think about you when it is your life and your happiness at stake. I guess you wanted him to stay in a relationship and pretend to love the wommen when he did’nt.

Anne March 6, 2009, 2:06 PM

Jason and Melissa are both great people and I hope the best for them. I feel Jason did the best he could under the circumstances. Having to make a decision at the end of the show must be terribly difficult when you find two women you could spend the rest of your life with. I have no criticism for Jason and think he handled the situation with great dignity. Melissa is darling and will find that special someone she deserves.

darcel March 6, 2009, 2:08 PM

I feel Jason is a honorable man (unfortunately) someone would be hurt at the end. Did I see this coming between melissa and molly…NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!! Melissa be strong. Molly be happy with a great man.

Kathy March 6, 2009, 2:08 PM

Jason,
Your a joke and a cad and remember what goes around comes around. Molly is a scum and you got what your deserve when she dumps you sorry a%%. Melissa took the high road. I would have made sure you didn’t walk for a week!!!