Bachelor: 'We Were Split Before the Show'

Bachelor Jason Mesnick comes clean to us about his shocking breakup.

The Bachelor

Just like the rest of America, our jaws dropped when we watched the drama that went down the other night on "The Bachelor." As moms, we had a lot of questions for single dad Jason Mesnick ... and some of our thoughts were not so nice. We wanted to know the truth, so we sat down with Jason for a candid, one-on-one interview. We learned that, for him, this was a terribly difficult decision that he did not take lightly, and he says never meant to hurt anyone.

Do you think Melissa knew your relationship was over?
Melissa definitely knew before going on [the show]. I mean our last conversation was: "Are you gonna to wear the ring? Because you know we're not together." And I think that she probably had some hopes still that maybe I was gonna change my mind, 'cause she was really upset. We didn't talk a couple of days before we shot. And that's OK. No matter what I said, she was going to be upset. We've talked about not being together over the phone but I had to tell her stuff in person, too. I'm not as cowardly as it might seem or as much of a jerk as I might seem for doing it on camera. But that was my only chance to do it.

Why did you propose to Melissa if you were that torn?
If I could go back again obviously -- yeah, I'm the stupid one. I shouldn't have proposed. But at the moment, I thought I was doing the right thing because she [Melissa] was the right one. She was the person I always dreamed of. Why wouldn't I propose to the person I've always been dreaming of?

Who do you think your mom preferred?
My mom wants me to be happy. And she met both Melissa and Molly and liked both of them. I know they spent one day together. She didn't really have a great judge of who she thought I should be with. She said as long as I'm happy, that's what's most important. But she said, "You know if you go through with [this breakup], people are going to really look down on you." And I said, "But it's the truth, and if people judge me for following my heart, I can't control that."

How does it feel to have all this criticism?
I think it's fair for people to have the right to judge me. But it was the truth.

How has your son Ty been handling all of this?
Ty has no idea what's going on. His experience with the show is: Yes, he did meet Melissa and Molly. But that's for one day, but through the experience when he was with me. It's not like it was just him and I playing and going to the beach and stuff. It's audio people, it's camera people, it's producers. And some of the girls even look like Melissa and Molly. You know, they are young producers and what not. And he has no idea. So he goes into it making a bunch of friends. The coolest guys are probably the camera operators that let him kind of get behind the camera and see how they work. That part was fun for him. But as far as the girls, I don't think he's able to kind of draw a conclusion from that.

Want more? Check out momlogic's RAW AND UNEDITED interview with Bachelor Jason Mesnick -- only in the momlogic community!

btm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpg

next: Jon SHOULD Cheat on Kate
darcel March 6, 2009, 2:08 PM

I feel Jason is a honorable man (unfortunately) someone would be hurt at the end. Did I see this coming between melissa and molly…NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!! Melissa be strong. Molly be happy with a great man.

darcel March 6, 2009, 2:09 PM

Inome March 6, 2009, 2:16 PM

Jason, the reason you gave of why you proposed to Melissa right away while you’re still carrying a torch for Molly is soooooo DUMB and SHALLOW. She’s the woman you’ve been dreaming of???? Oh really?! So if I’ve been dreaming of Cameron Diaz I should propose to her too???

The same thing with you dumping Melissa(ok, if you already dumped her prior to the After The Final Rose Show I’ll change the dumping to “showing off” that you have a replacement right away waiting after Melissa—the Dumb blond Molly)on camera, because that was your only chance to tell her. Oh come on! Why? was the world ending that very next day??? and you would never have a chance to “show off” anymore.

Please, stop making a fool out of yourself. Your parents obviously did not teach you about HONESTY. I really hope and pray that Ty will never be like you otherwise this world will be full of MEN JERKS.

Lynne March 6, 2009, 2:20 PM

I like Molly best, and I’m glad Jason ended up with her. I just have a feeling that Jason has an over-idealized idea of love - he doesn’t know that it isn’t all those fireworks forever. You can’t just keep dumping people when the fireworks calm down. He doesn’t understand what love is - I can guarantee that things will calm down and he will say “we are not right for eachother” to Molly too. And to the next one, and the next one - destined to never have love.
Also, why couldn’t all the other “Bachelor” bachelors, get to pick again, after they break up? They all break up (except one or 2 contestants)
Thanks
Lynne

Brad March 6, 2009, 2:22 PM

I think Jason did the right thing , why put it off when he new in his heart he wasnt going to be happy and it would end up in divorce , its better that he did it now then wait so everyone give Jason a break he didnt do anything wrong just following his heart, and accordingly to Melissa interview with Ellen she did know before the show that they were over so she did act kind of weird, it was terrible performance on her part/

PFender March 6, 2009, 2:25 PM

I think Jason did the right thing, even if it hurt Melissa. It was better to break it off now than later. I do not think Melissa was the right choice for him anyway. He wanted a person who was a family person and I think Melissa was too much of a party girl for him and not family material. She would not even have him meet her own family. I want him to be happy and I think he made the right choice choosing Molly and I know they will be happy together. I wish them all the happiness in the world.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 2:26 PM

Let’s be real. This happens in real life all the time. Everyone has the right to chose who they want to be with, sometimes we get it wrong. Duh Divored!!!

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 2:27 PM

i don’t even know why anyone would go for him in the first place, off air. i never liked him in the first season! that nose! ugh!

Shirl March 6, 2009, 2:28 PM

I think Jason is a “FLAKE” and he will probably change his mind about Molly or their relationship won’t work out. I am almost certain of that in this day and age people don’t stay together they move on!

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 2:29 PM

Jason…what a pompous jerk for dumping Melissa like that. It seems you have no core. On the after show you muttered back things that the other girls had said…”best friends”..(Jillian)..you let Deanna influence you questioning her pick…they you did the same thing. When you eliminated Molly…she then showed her only emotion of the season..and you believed her when she said you were making the wrong choice..get a spine..live up to your committments…honestly going around demolishing people emotionally is no way to live…Melissa you rock! You’re better off…life will be great for you!

Jean March 6, 2009, 2:32 PM

You know, you say Momlogic wanted to sit down with Jason and get the truth!?!? What an oxymoron; Jason—truth. The night on national television when he went on with Melissa, he and Chris, the host distinctly said she had no idea he was going to break off the engagement (I just rewatched the show). Now he says, Yes, she knew because they had already broken off the engagement. I mean where do the lies stop and the truth start. THEN, he has said all along that he didn’t speak with Molly after he proposed to Melissa yet Melissa told Ellen Degeneres yesterday that Jason admitted to Melissa that he had indeed spoken to Molly just to see if Molly was “okay”. There are just so many lies….I’ll say it again, he needs some therapy…he really is emotionally immature.

Yes I am a male! March 6, 2009, 2:37 PM

WOW….coming from a bunch of women who as we all know advertise that it’s their perogative to change their mind, I find it quiet humerous that all the negative publicity is from women scolding Jason for changing his ming. He may not have done it in the best manner, but none of us have ANY clue into his contract or discussion with either of them prior to airing. The only thing we’ve all heard is what the media wants us to hear or read. Ladies, be a little gentler with the guy and give him a break. It’s not like he cheated on her or anything like that. He was being honest and this is how you welcome his honesty. Makes me wanna never be honest to another woman ever again!!!

Barbara March 6, 2009, 2:37 PM

Jason didn’t really get to know Melissa well until after the show and he probably found something that he really didn’t like. He was gentleman enough not to say the real reason he broke up and came out looking like the bad guy. I don’ think he’s fickle at all. I think he just found out more and decided that he had made a terrible mistake. Remember that he kept saying he was falling deeply for both girls with what he knew about them in that short time. Given more time, he had to follow his heart.

At least he’s taking his time with Molly and not getting engaged right away.

Jean March 6, 2009, 2:39 PM

And one last comment; all of you who keep saying, “Well I liked Melissa best” or “I liked Molly better”, that really, really, really is NOT the point of any of this or the discussions going on about what happened. This has to do with deceit on the part of ABC, deceit on the part of Jason, humiliation at the expense of others…its a social commentary on how greedy we are as a society that we would even be involved this way for money and notoriety; it’s a commentary on how easy it has become for society to disrespect each other; and how having “15-minutes of fame” is the new career for so many…..

LG March 6, 2009, 2:44 PM

Ok guys, give the guy a break. I was somewhat upset over what he did but I think he’s taken enough heat over it. Get back to living your own lives and let him do the same. No one, and I mean no one, is perfect. If he’s found true happiness that’s all you can hope for someone. Melissa will be ok!

helen March 6, 2009, 2:46 PM

Well….one thing i’m sure Jason is uncertain about himself. He is a flake just give a little time he’ll be flying solo again…
helen

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 2:57 PM

ya’ll are so stupid do you not see that after spending the holidays with her and finally meeting her family he realized she wasn’t the person he thought she was and he broke it off.

HR March 6, 2009, 2:59 PM

Why was this relational breakup aired on TV when all the others from the Bachelor and Bachelorette were never aired in the past? Publicity! I fell in love with Jason last show because he reminded me of someone I fell for. Guess what, he was as confused as Jason. I think it should have been done in private. And as far as Melissa, she knew what was coming and still took the humilation in front of America so she could make Jason look even worse. I have no sympathy for either one and both have gotten what they deserved in the end. But I give Jason and Molly maybe…….maybe 1 year together. It will be like 99% of all the other contestants on these shows. Let’s all be real!

Jill March 6, 2009, 3:04 PM

There is no way Molly can trust him and I can tell by the way Molly takes with her mouth movement and she changes the ton when she lies. Come on people wake up you know they were meeting while he was still with Melissa. Jason gets bored and moves to the next. he won’t last with Molly he will break her heart again. I can say i will never watch the show again.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 3:06 PM

I am a male and watched this season with my wife so I could watch more HOCKEY. But wow, Jason grow-up and be a man!!!!