Bachelor: 'We Were Split Before the Show'

Bachelor Jason Mesnick comes clean to us about his shocking breakup.

The Bachelor

Just like the rest of America, our jaws dropped when we watched the drama that went down the other night on "The Bachelor." As moms, we had a lot of questions for single dad Jason Mesnick ... and some of our thoughts were not so nice. We wanted to know the truth, so we sat down with Jason for a candid, one-on-one interview. We learned that, for him, this was a terribly difficult decision that he did not take lightly, and he says never meant to hurt anyone.

Do you think Melissa knew your relationship was over?
Melissa definitely knew before going on [the show]. I mean our last conversation was: "Are you gonna to wear the ring? Because you know we're not together." And I think that she probably had some hopes still that maybe I was gonna change my mind, 'cause she was really upset. We didn't talk a couple of days before we shot. And that's OK. No matter what I said, she was going to be upset. We've talked about not being together over the phone but I had to tell her stuff in person, too. I'm not as cowardly as it might seem or as much of a jerk as I might seem for doing it on camera. But that was my only chance to do it.

Why did you propose to Melissa if you were that torn?
If I could go back again obviously -- yeah, I'm the stupid one. I shouldn't have proposed. But at the moment, I thought I was doing the right thing because she [Melissa] was the right one. She was the person I always dreamed of. Why wouldn't I propose to the person I've always been dreaming of?

Who do you think your mom preferred?
My mom wants me to be happy. And she met both Melissa and Molly and liked both of them. I know they spent one day together. She didn't really have a great judge of who she thought I should be with. She said as long as I'm happy, that's what's most important. But she said, "You know if you go through with [this breakup], people are going to really look down on you." And I said, "But it's the truth, and if people judge me for following my heart, I can't control that."

How does it feel to have all this criticism?
I think it's fair for people to have the right to judge me. But it was the truth.

How has your son Ty been handling all of this?
Ty has no idea what's going on. His experience with the show is: Yes, he did meet Melissa and Molly. But that's for one day, but through the experience when he was with me. It's not like it was just him and I playing and going to the beach and stuff. It's audio people, it's camera people, it's producers. And some of the girls even look like Melissa and Molly. You know, they are young producers and what not. And he has no idea. So he goes into it making a bunch of friends. The coolest guys are probably the camera operators that let him kind of get behind the camera and see how they work. That part was fun for him. But as far as the girls, I don't think he's able to kind of draw a conclusion from that.

Want more? Check out momlogic's RAW AND UNEDITED interview with Bachelor Jason Mesnick -- only in the momlogic community!

btm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpg

next: Jon SHOULD Cheat on Kate
kk March 6, 2009, 3:13 PM

I think people should leave him alone. I thought the entire show was wonderful. Even at the end. People make mistakes and we don’t get judged for it so why is everyone else doing it to him? If i had been Melissa, I would rather him have told me the truth, than to live with me forever and not really love me. You can’t expect everyone that goes onto the show, pick the one they love and have a happy ever after. they probably don’t even really, get to know the person until the show is over and they are alone! Look at Deanna, she didn’t work out with the one she chose, and the couple they brought back onto the show this year that dated and broke up for a year and now are back together! Give the guy a break! He’s human as we all are, we all make mistakes, get over it! Leave him alone and let him live his life now.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 3:16 PM

Jason said he and Melissa spent the holidays together but he says Ty wasn’t affected by this? So he wasn’t with Ty, his best buddy, for the holidays. Come on Jason, get your stories straight.

Annette March 6, 2009, 3:16 PM

Melissa went on Ellen and said that they were already over when the Final Rose episode aired. Why is everyone being so hard on Jason when he merely followed his heart. Maybe he saw something in Melissa after the show ended that he did not see when she was trying so hard to win him over. Perhaps Melissa is not so innocent in this situation as everyone is trying to believe. Good for you Jason for following your heart - I think you are a real stand up guy!!

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 3:18 PM

People are being a little to harsh on Jason ..YES he screwed up. But he was man enough to admit and say it on TV. I give him props for that. If he wanted he could have been like the other “Bachelors” and broken off the engagement off camera. But I truly believe he was looking for love..and im glad Molly gave him chance. Can anyone say they have;nt been confused Before???..thats how complicated the heart is.. So people GIVE THE GUY A BREAK.

soss March 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

Has anyone thought how cruel abc was to openly gut someone and air it! Yeah, the whole thing smelled but I was appalled that abc would televise such heart ache! I’m done with watching this show!

Misty  March 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

UGH!!!!! Jason disappointed me….Thought he would be so different and thought this time the show had a guy that really meant what he said….The show makes hard for you to watch now because noone ever works out.

sinaia March 6, 2009, 3:22 PM

I think Molly is tooo good for him, but the obvious choise. Why is so much being sad about how he damped Melissa? Is there a good way?

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 3:26 PM

I think the entire show is a waste. Out of all the shows only 1 couple has found happiness. I think most use it as a tool for exposure to TV and hope for some sort of career. As for this season, it has just got me so I don’t ever want to watch the show again. Jason was a total jerk and I hope he gets what he deserves.

kristi March 6, 2009, 3:28 PM

I thought he had a thing for Molly all along, but it seemed like something changed between he and Melissa for the better during the final 2 weeks. I’m glad he was honest with himself and realized his mistake before getting married.

lola March 6, 2009, 3:28 PM

I think all of these was a game played by the show. if you look at the last time Molly look at Jason getting into the limo, it was not a sad look. i am sure he told her “everything is going to be ok” but I need to do this for the show. I will never look at this show again. the only true couple out of this is Trista & Ryan because they really worked on their relationship.

Mac March 6, 2009, 3:35 PM

It was all just too “tacky” for me. All of this could have been done in private. The show thought it would bring more people to watch the series??? I know, for myself, that was the end of me watching the Bachelor, ever again !!! I do not like “sensationalism” and blame ABC for putting all of this on the air !!!

NBM March 6, 2009, 3:38 PM

Show was great. I was happy for him coming out straight to Melissa. What would happen if they were walking down that aisle and he confronted her with I do not want to marry you in front of everyone. He did right by telling her before they were one and I’m so glad he got with Molly. She by far, is the happiest women right now. Melissa needs to grow up and find Mr. Right. God luck to all 3.

Michelle March 6, 2009, 3:40 PM

What comes around, goes around……I doubt that the relationship between Jason and Molly will last. As soon as something better comes along he will be gone. He obviously is not the kind of guy that will fight to keep the one he loves…Or thinks he loves!

Nadabitch March 6, 2009, 4:01 PM

What a bunch of whinning beatch’s. Who cares about this?? It’s TV and it’s what they signed up for. Out of all the shows only one (Trista) has actually gotten married, have a child, and is still with the one she picked. Now everyone is putting him down for what women do to guys all the time!!

DS March 6, 2009, 4:03 PM

Melissa should have socked him right in the nose, he could use a nose job anyway. Oh well, maybe Molly might take a swing at him when he dumps her on TV. What a Tool.

Popi March 6, 2009, 4:12 PM

Probably what happened is that Jason proposed first to Melissa and then let Molly go but he is not allowed to say. Melissa was all for show so she deserved to be dumped. And if you know you are being filmed have some dignity girl instead of being mad on TV…. If Melissa knew better she would have understood (at least lie for the cameras!) and wish him well. Instead she said something about “you took that from me!!!: like she was a virgin… WTF? She deserved it! TEAM MOLLY!

Anonymouse March 6, 2009, 4:15 PM

Give him a break!!! He is only human…how many people have dated, broke up, dated, broke up and dated again. And yes…the same goes with getting engaged. The only difference between Jason and John Doe down the street is that he was on national television. Jason is allowed to follow his heart just like anyone else. I feel sorry for Melissa for I feel much worse for Jason. Melissa is made to the the little angel and Jason the dog but we don’t know what happened behind closed doors, off camera or even after the show went off for him to release that their “chemistry” was just not there. Maybe she did something, he did something or it just didn’t work out.

GIVE HIM A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deanna Hansen March 6, 2009, 4:19 PM

Jason regarded sex as his number one priority in choosing his wife. Molly relied on sex to win. That will get old very soon. His so-called integrity is a joke!

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 4:21 PM

Jason is not a jerk - Jason is only human and was following his heart. I think he is a wonderful man, and it’s just too bad that more men aren’t like him. Like Melissa said on the Ellen show ~ they mutually agreed that it was just not going to work.

The PROBLEM is that the TV show “The Bachelor” doesn’t care about people’s feelings. And it’s their fault for suggesting that he should do what he did on National TV. These shows will do anything to bring up the ratings as high as they can ~ no matter who it hurts.

I blame “The Bachelor”. I loved that show, and watched every episode. From the very beginning I thought that Mellisa was the most darling one ~ and I was hoping that he would pick her. They look so perfect together. But ~ GET REAL - no one knows after just that kind of multiple dating & trying for such a short time to pick someone to marry - if IN THE REAL WORLD it will work out.

I will not watch THE BACHELOR next year!

Terry March 6, 2009, 4:42 PM

You people are nuts. Who cares, have any of the bachlors or bachlorettes mad it past a coupke months. I doubs it. Stupid waste of time.