Bachelor: 'We Were Split Before the Show'

Bachelor Jason Mesnick comes clean to us about his shocking breakup.

The Bachelor

Just like the rest of America, our jaws dropped when we watched the drama that went down the other night on "The Bachelor." As moms, we had a lot of questions for single dad Jason Mesnick ... and some of our thoughts were not so nice. We wanted to know the truth, so we sat down with Jason for a candid, one-on-one interview. We learned that, for him, this was a terribly difficult decision that he did not take lightly, and he says never meant to hurt anyone.

Do you think Melissa knew your relationship was over?
Melissa definitely knew before going on [the show]. I mean our last conversation was: "Are you gonna to wear the ring? Because you know we're not together." And I think that she probably had some hopes still that maybe I was gonna change my mind, 'cause she was really upset. We didn't talk a couple of days before we shot. And that's OK. No matter what I said, she was going to be upset. We've talked about not being together over the phone but I had to tell her stuff in person, too. I'm not as cowardly as it might seem or as much of a jerk as I might seem for doing it on camera. But that was my only chance to do it.

Why did you propose to Melissa if you were that torn?
If I could go back again obviously -- yeah, I'm the stupid one. I shouldn't have proposed. But at the moment, I thought I was doing the right thing because she [Melissa] was the right one. She was the person I always dreamed of. Why wouldn't I propose to the person I've always been dreaming of?

Who do you think your mom preferred?
My mom wants me to be happy. And she met both Melissa and Molly and liked both of them. I know they spent one day together. She didn't really have a great judge of who she thought I should be with. She said as long as I'm happy, that's what's most important. But she said, "You know if you go through with [this breakup], people are going to really look down on you." And I said, "But it's the truth, and if people judge me for following my heart, I can't control that."

How does it feel to have all this criticism?
I think it's fair for people to have the right to judge me. But it was the truth.

How has your son Ty been handling all of this?
Ty has no idea what's going on. His experience with the show is: Yes, he did meet Melissa and Molly. But that's for one day, but through the experience when he was with me. It's not like it was just him and I playing and going to the beach and stuff. It's audio people, it's camera people, it's producers. And some of the girls even look like Melissa and Molly. You know, they are young producers and what not. And he has no idea. So he goes into it making a bunch of friends. The coolest guys are probably the camera operators that let him kind of get behind the camera and see how they work. That part was fun for him. But as far as the girls, I don't think he's able to kind of draw a conclusion from that.

Want more? Check out momlogic's RAW AND UNEDITED interview with Bachelor Jason Mesnick -- only in the momlogic community!

btm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpg

next: Jon SHOULD Cheat on Kate
Noname March 6, 2009, 4:49 PM

The only difference between this breakup and all the other previous breakups of the bachelors and bachelorettes is that this was done on t.v. announcing the breakup - all the rest still made media attention.

Melissa should have known something was up when they called her for the “After the Final Rose” shows. She had to have known that her relationship with Jason was not the same and this show would probably involve that. That is where I would have declined to appear to save myself the embarrasment and humiliation.

This “After the Rose Show” was not handled with any regard to any of these peoples feelings - probably just for ratings for the network and because “this is the first time anyone changed their mind” before the last episode aired - but I do think that Jason had a right to change his mind. Everyone deserves to be happy in their personal life. It is better to make this decision now then to prolong it. If he would have stuck with Melissa feeling the way he does, he would have hurt her more in the long run.

I wish them all good luck and happiness.

HEATHER March 6, 2009, 4:51 PM

Jason is a huge disappointment. It made me so mad when he hurt Melissa. Personally I feel he needs to stay away from any relationship. Obviously he has no idea what it takes to make a real relationship work. He needs to concentrate on his son.
Well what goes around comes around.
Next time he gets hurt, he can’t play the pitty card, just the karma card.

Meez March 6, 2009, 5:07 PM

Here is one for you!!!!! Did he get to meet the family and find out there was no money there???? When he went to Molly’s she seems like a country club type and she did seem to have the better house???? Hummmmmmmmmmmm gold digger???

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 5:24 PM

what about Melissa she already has a new boyfriend did that just happen last week I don’t think so. Something tells me Melissa was having fun with someone else the last 6 weeks while with jason

shirl March 6, 2009, 5:30 PM

I thought the show was great.i feel for malissa,but they were not a match he should of picked molly from the first.i thought jillian had a chance.but she will find her true love.she will make a great bachleorett

GCD March 6, 2009, 5:32 PM

Obviously if Molly is with Jason it speaks volumes about her character just as well.

Winner March 6, 2009, 5:39 PM

When he dumped Molly on the show and first proposed to Melissa, Molly seemed really insulted and said he would totally regret not picking her and that Melissa would end up dumping him and he made the biggest mistake by not picking Molly. It seemed like she cursed him and threatened him. Jason then went off crying like a little girl. I am not surprised he freaked out on poor Melissa and went back to the abusive Molly. I guess men like to be abused.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 6:04 PM

Loser

Nancy March 6, 2009, 6:25 PM

I read these posts and just wonder what some of you people are thinking. Would you want Jason to go ahead and marry Melissa and let it end in a failed marriage just because he put that ring on her finger. Sometimes in a fairy tale setting you just get carried away with the moment. I think that is why these romances don’t last because when they get back into the “real world” things change dramatically. I hope He and Molly can make things work. I am hoping all the best for them. I hope Melissa finds happiness too but remember Melissa said she has had many failed relationships and in my mind that was a “red flag” from the beginning.

annie March 6, 2009, 6:46 PM

Molly you better get to Seattle promptly because he doesn’t know how to deal with long distance relationships. Better be in control of his life to avoid him leisure time when he could start thinking about his good times with Melissa. You can’t trust him at all.

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 7:02 PM

Jason, good for you for doing what is right in your heart! No matter what someone was going to be hurt with your decision. Better to decide when you did , then down the road… Hey no one is perfect, we all do things that hurt others at some point. Wish you and Molly all the best in getting to know each other. Melissa is such a beautiful person , I wish her all the happiness in the world.

Midwest girl March 6, 2009, 7:04 PM

I’m OK with Jasons decision. Yes, he ended up hurting Melissa, but in the long run he avoided a life of misery for both of them. This actually happened to me, only I wasn’t strong enough to break the engagement. I married the guy and we were divorced in 2 years. When it’s not right, it’s not right to stay in a relationship, no matter what.

Terri March 6, 2009, 7:12 PM

You did the right thing. No doubt about it. I have a feeling that maybe Melissa wasn’t who she appeared to be after you proposed. Maybe I’m wrong but she’s a little too young (not necessarily about numeric age) and naive. I think once she got the ring she possibly became a little bossy, controlling and suddenly the role of stepmother - the reality of putting a child above all your own needs - wasn’t so appealing to her. It could be this is the reason she is always the “dump-ee” and never the “dump-er.” Hopefully she will grow and mature through this experience. I think her family refusing to appear on the show, the fact that they didn’t care enough to meet the man she was in love with, was a huge sign of what was to come.

I love Mollie. Melissa seems like a nice girl and will find love at some point. And, who knows, maybe Mollie and Jason won’t work out - but Jason and Melissa definitely wouldn’t work out. If you have to work that hard on something this early in a relationship chances are you’ll never get past the really hard stuff that comes later in a marriage…10 - 15 years down the road. Melissa is too immature to figure that out but when the real thing comes along she’ll get it.

Mel Fan March 6, 2009, 7:14 PM

Melissa is hot! She could eat crackers in my bed anytime!

Eliza March 6, 2009, 7:36 PM

Jason really is deluded, if he thinks his son Ty didn’t draw any conclusions from his father being on the Bachelor and ‘meeting’ the women! I pray that child spends a lot of time with his mom!

Jennifer March 6, 2009, 7:38 PM

First of all, I feel bad for Melissa as I would feel bad for any girl who has to deal with heartache. She is a sweet loving person and to go through this must very painful—as most breakups are. However, none of us know what really happened. And the truth was that Jason had fallen in love with two women…we could all clearly see that. And Molly had fallen in love with him as well. So because it wasn’t working out between Jason and Melissa, they broke up…just like people often do. And as far as he and Molly getting back together—this sort of thing happens EVERYDAY. Unfortunately, they are in the public eye, so it all gets extremely scrutinized. Bottom line is, if Jason and Melissa weren’t right for each other, a breakup was inevitable anyway. And if you’re in love with someone and they want to be with you, why not take them back…I hope Jason and Molly are all happy. I wish them all the best. All of this is very ordinary, real life situations…The tv show just gives it a different spin—which should have been expected because to be on the show is opening up a new world of possibilities. And letting all of America into that world. Good luck to all of them! Remember, we all make mistakes and wrong choices…it’s what helps us make right ones in the future.

Sarah inAz March 6, 2009, 7:40 PM

Well I wish him the best…they both Molly and Jason, need prayer…well if Melissa was so in love with him she would still be single, because she is with an old boyfriend of hers right now. Well God Bless them all…things happen for a reason, just be nicer next time. He looked real torn when he let Molly go anyway. They will be o.k

Anonymous March 6, 2009, 7:50 PM

You don’t break up (when engaged) with someone one minute, then go to making out with someone minutes later. I don’t care how you explain it - it’s just not cool. And, Jason is a walking cliche. Enough! He was wrong - and that’s that! I wouldn’t have taken him back. Geeze - at least give it a week or so before you’re making out with someone else! Seriously?!? No class!

Meez March 6, 2009, 8:21 PM

It all boils down to the way it was done. You just don’t break up one min. and turn right around and throw another woman in the face of the one you broke up with. He should have ended it with Melissa if he had a change of heart, but to think about her feelings and waited some time before letting Melissa and the world to see the other woman.
Melissa I was hoping you would win but things happen for a reason I think you lucked out and it didn’t go any longer, take your time all good things are worth waiting for. Molly I do hope you give it a lot of time before you make that big step, and I think you should meet Ty’s mother first to see how you two will get along, she will be in your life for a lomg time.

Beatriz March 6, 2009, 8:24 PM

OMG I can’t believe the things I am reading. You people are all NUTS! The ones that are trashing Jason. Hello? this was a REALITY SHOW. Why are you so caught up in these people’s life? Jason, did what was righ for him and his son. Who are you to say otherwise. NO ONE but Jason, Melisa, Molly and the people involved with the Bachelor knows exactly what went down. We are hearing what they want us to hear. It seems to me that when people agree to go on these type of shows all bets are off. It is what it is. I saw Melisa on the Ellen show yesterday and according to her she already has a BOYFRIEND!!! She certainly did not waste anytime. I saw all of the episodes of the Bachelor and from what I can see he was always more into Moly than he was Melisa. The man did not meet Melisa’s family.I felt Molly was his choice from the beginning.But guess what? I don’t really care. I just enjoy watching the women and men make fools of themselves doing and saying whatever they thing will get them to that fina rose. GROW UP people its REALITY TV. I wish Jason, Molly and Ty all the best. Still a fan of the Bachelor!