Bachelor: 'We Were Split Before the Show'

Bachelor Jason Mesnick comes clean to us about his shocking breakup.

The Bachelor

Just like the rest of America, our jaws dropped when we watched the drama that went down the other night on "The Bachelor." As moms, we had a lot of questions for single dad Jason Mesnick ... and some of our thoughts were not so nice. We wanted to know the truth, so we sat down with Jason for a candid, one-on-one interview. We learned that, for him, this was a terribly difficult decision that he did not take lightly, and he says never meant to hurt anyone.

Do you think Melissa knew your relationship was over?
Melissa definitely knew before going on [the show]. I mean our last conversation was: "Are you gonna to wear the ring? Because you know we're not together." And I think that she probably had some hopes still that maybe I was gonna change my mind, 'cause she was really upset. We didn't talk a couple of days before we shot. And that's OK. No matter what I said, she was going to be upset. We've talked about not being together over the phone but I had to tell her stuff in person, too. I'm not as cowardly as it might seem or as much of a jerk as I might seem for doing it on camera. But that was my only chance to do it.

Why did you propose to Melissa if you were that torn?
If I could go back again obviously -- yeah, I'm the stupid one. I shouldn't have proposed. But at the moment, I thought I was doing the right thing because she [Melissa] was the right one. She was the person I always dreamed of. Why wouldn't I propose to the person I've always been dreaming of?

Who do you think your mom preferred?
My mom wants me to be happy. And she met both Melissa and Molly and liked both of them. I know they spent one day together. She didn't really have a great judge of who she thought I should be with. She said as long as I'm happy, that's what's most important. But she said, "You know if you go through with [this breakup], people are going to really look down on you." And I said, "But it's the truth, and if people judge me for following my heart, I can't control that."

How does it feel to have all this criticism?
I think it's fair for people to have the right to judge me. But it was the truth.

How has your son Ty been handling all of this?
Ty has no idea what's going on. His experience with the show is: Yes, he did meet Melissa and Molly. But that's for one day, but through the experience when he was with me. It's not like it was just him and I playing and going to the beach and stuff. It's audio people, it's camera people, it's producers. And some of the girls even look like Melissa and Molly. You know, they are young producers and what not. And he has no idea. So he goes into it making a bunch of friends. The coolest guys are probably the camera operators that let him kind of get behind the camera and see how they work. That part was fun for him. But as far as the girls, I don't think he's able to kind of draw a conclusion from that.

Want more? Check out momlogic's RAW AND UNEDITED interview with Bachelor Jason Mesnick -- only in the momlogic community!

btm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpgbtm_ad.jpg

next: Jon SHOULD Cheat on Kate
mb March 6, 2009, 8:25 PM

Ok let’s get this straight. In the last 18 months this guy has been ready to marry 3 count them 3 women and bring any of them home to his son. Molly step back and look at the whole picture

kj March 6, 2009, 8:58 PM

I actually think it was a brave and honorable thing for Jason to do. When the cameras stopped and they had quiet time he finally realized that Melissa was just not the women for him. My heart goes out to her but the worst would have been for them to marry and then divorce. That would have been bad for Ty. As far as Molly is concerned, if it is meant to be then they will know. Good Luck to all three. They deserve happiness.

pj March 6, 2009, 9:14 PM

I think what Jason did took a lot of courage in light of the obvious criticism he knew he was going to recieve and I think he deserves credit for being brave enough to stand up and take responsibility for his actions especially on this platform. I feel for Melissa and my heart goes out to her because I think she is a great person and handled herself well in a difficult situation but so did Jason.

Georgi March 6, 2009, 9:19 PM

Weren’t Melissa’s parents the ones who refused to be a part of the show? Maybe they knew a bit more about reality than their daughter did.

Jason's wfie March 7, 2009, 6:48 PM

He deserves to be happy… I am glad he changed his mind.. for him and Ty both

Friend March 7, 2009, 11:09 PM

Woule everyone be realistic and give the guy a break. Have none of you ever made a mistake - even in love and relationships? Of course you have - He should have picked Molly to begin with - couldn’t you see that Melissa was a little immature girl? He just realized his mistake - had to admit to it on air - and was fortunate enough to get a second chance. Sure it was hard for the dumpee - it always is. But better to realize the truth before it went even further. Good for you, Jason!!

Nikki March 8, 2009, 12:53 AM

I don’t normally write on these kind of things but I have some things to say about this situation. Who are we to judge him about what happened and how it was handled? Are we producers, I’m sure it was a shock for everyone at first but then the show and network was probably having a hay day with the kind of ratings a situation like this would bring in. Like Jason said he had to follow his heart, and Melissa already knew it was over before it ever really started, as far as the viewing audience is concerned. Who really gives a damn if the break-up was done on TV, that is one of the whole purposes of the show is to do it in front of the public! If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen! No, it wasn’t the best outcome but no one can change the way they feel and I commend him for having the nerve to point out that he screwed up and picked the wrong girl. In the end, whether or not he did it on TV or at home it is his life and he has the right to be happy. Look back through all of the past bachelor shows and think about some of the stupid things that have been done. Everyone needs to take a step back and put themselves in his shoes, what would you do? He thought that he was being screwed over by the last bachelorette but until you are put into this type of situation you can’t possibly feel how hard it is to make these kind of decisions this fast. I think that the Bachelor track record can prove that statement. What everyone should realize is that things happen for a reason and I wish them happiness and I hope that they can withstand everyone’s nastiness and come through this stronger in the end because of it.

Stephanie March 8, 2009, 10:09 AM

I was rooting for Jason like everyone else…until he pulled his stunt with the switcheroo. I don’t blame him for following his heart and wanting happiness, but he went about it completely incorrectly. As far as I’m concerned, Melissa is much better off without him and Jason and Molly deserve each other; they give a bad name to men and women everywhere.

bunncat March 8, 2009, 2:36 PM

and we all care about all of this bullcrap, WHY? Let it die now. Enuf said.

Ana maria March 9, 2009, 1:33 PM

This is TV girls!!! What do you expect?I do not believe in any of it. And sharing a guy all that time with all those girls and going until the end without knowing for sure if you are the one he really likes? That is absurd. I would not waist a minute of my life in a competition like that. I would feel like a piece of meat in the market waiting to be picked. Enough already.

Anonymous March 9, 2009, 6:56 PM

I watched the show and thought it was in bad taste the way Jason AND the network handled the entire ending, including the dramatic After the final rose episodes, all in the name of ratings.

I will not watch another season. This show is too exploitive and I hope that Jillian thinks twice before her season starts.

Some of you here need a refresher course in spelling, btw. Atrocious!

Anonymous March 10, 2009, 9:56 AM

I am the most worried about Ty. I hope he is not screwed up by all this.

Ed March 10, 2009, 10:52 AM

….I want to know how much money he was paid to add this “twist” to an otherwise boring program! They both deserve one another. How could she take him after he embarrased her on national TV! Wow, when you have no self-esteem, I guess you are capable of doing anything!

April March 11, 2009, 3:51 PM

I think he’s a jerk. Regardless of the contract you don’t do something like that on live TV. And in all reality how much of a catch is he if in less than 6 weeks ( keep in mind you have to deduct the time he did spend with Melissa during that time) you change your mind and jump on the next thing in line. That means the man doesn’t know how to work at things.. when things get bad move on is his motto. Molly if you are stupid enough to marry him.. you’ll be his next divorce.. although how much respect do you have for yourself to jump right into that after he just dumped you and Melissa in less than 6 weeks…. argghh what are women becoming.. I’d rather be single and happy than desperate!

Nktecnia June 27, 2009, 11:10 AM

AUHE4c comment5 ,

MOfuediaref July 28, 2009, 6:01 AM

Valium Medication
You can order Valium medication right now.

Bank online with Chase October 18, 2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks for sharing this helpful info!

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 8:19 PM

I really like your website. Thank you, you describe the topic very well

diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:46 PM

I wonder how you got so good. HaHa! This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your design is so perfect! You certainly know how to get a girls attention! Im glad that youre here. I feel like Ive learned something new by being here.