Barbie Gets a Tramp Stamp

Now, if little girls want to be just like Barbie ... they can just get a tattoo!

barbie-tattoo.jpg

Barbie celebrates her 50th birthday next week, so maybe it's just a midlife crisis, or she had one too many white wine spritzers. In any event -- Barbie got inked.

Her new "Totally Stylin' Tattoos" comes with tattoo stickers girls can stick anywhere -- and we do mean anywhere -- on the plastic icon's impossibly-shaped body. And that's not all, kids! The set also comes with a tattoo gun so girls can give themselves (washable) tattoos. Will "Tattoo Removal Artist Barbie" be hitting shelves next year?

Despite some controversy, the doll appears to be hit. As of now, Mattel says it has no plans to discontinue the doll -- like it was forced to do back in 2002 with Midge, Barbie's pregnant friend who had a pop-off tummy revealing a little plastic infant.

Controversy is nothing new to Barbie. Just yesterday, a West Virginia lawmaker introduced the so-called "Barbie Ban Bill" that would ban sales of the doll. "I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart," said state Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge.

Are dolls like Barbie a bad influence on young girls ... or is this no big whoop?

next: Our Nation is OctoCrazy!
MINDY March 5, 2009, 8:13 AM

Wow that’s so nice what barbi is teaching our little girls in this country..what about college barbie who dresses decent and is carrying books instead of a tattoo, whats next barbie holding a bottle of beer and dressing like a crackwhore? whats wrong with people these days

aerialla March 5, 2009, 9:38 AM

I am offended by this top title and it’s generalization. Just because you have a tattoo doesn’t make you a tramp and neither does it mean that you are out drinking and doing drugs. I have several and each of them means something to me. I have gotten them in different stages to remind me of a special time in my life. Don’t generalize everyone who has a tattoo by the actions of some. Poor Barbie can’t win, I understand how she feels.

tiffany March 5, 2009, 10:25 AM

I agree… just because you have tattoos and/or piercings does not mean that you are drugged out or a ‘crackwhore’or a ‘tramp’. I have piercings and tattoos and i hold a wonderful professional job where no one judges me or patronizes me. College barbie is super and there is NO reason why you can’t have tattoos AND go to college….. Let’s ALL stop being soooo judgemental because someone does not look like YOU. :)

Anonymous March 5, 2009, 2:42 PM

A “tramp stamp” is urban slang for a tattoo at the base of your back. Lighten up, previous posters.

Chika March 5, 2009, 3:45 PM

I think there is no reason to ban this barbie. young girls and boys find fun in their washable tats. As long as the tats are in good taste who are we to complain?

Mia March 5, 2009, 4:07 PM

It’s a toy for goodness sakes. I had Barbies when I was growing up and I don’t have body issues or think that I can just be beautiful and not smart. I don’t think that “tattoo” Barbie will be any different. After all, a lot of perfectly well-adjusted people have tattoos. I don’t personally have any but I know a lot of people who do! I think the real issue is that no one is teaching kids how to love and honor themselves as imperfect individuals. They pick up on everyone else’s self-hatred and apply it to themselves. Heck, focusing this much on what a TOY can do to someone’s self-esteem is like giving them a license to blame everything “wrong” on something outside of themselves and not on the choices they made.

Amber March 5, 2009, 5:35 PM

I must fail then because ever since my twins got Kung Fu Panda Valentines for school that came with washable tattoos they are hooked and I just bought a set of pirate ones for them. They think they are so cool.

Jennifer March 5, 2009, 7:26 PM

Wow this is amazing that this would upset so many people to this extent. Just because the barbie is out there for you to buy, does not mean you have to buy it. I personally believe that little girls don’t look at barbie and think “Oh I’m fat and I don’t have breast, therefore I am no good.” I grew up playing with barbies. I own at least 100 if not more. These toys are here to play make believe. It is a chance for a little girl to pretend she is the mommy or the teenager with responsibilities. If your child has issues because she looks at a toy and thinks that is how she is supposed to look then maybe you should take a look at how you are raising your child to think and feel. They learn more from their parents than they will from anyone else in their lives. Don’t blame this on a toy who is trying to keep up with the new age. If you are going to get mad at this doll for having tattoos, then you need to not buy some of the other products that are found for children like the fake fingernails, lipstick, and things like that because they also come with stick on tattoos. Lighten up a little, just don’t buy it. No one says you have to.

Chrissy March 5, 2009, 11:53 PM

Amber - lol! I was just thinking about the temporary tatooes I used get as a kid from the cracker box! I saw the news report on this - the washable tattoes of all pink or white, glittery and tiny. They can be palced on clothes as well.
What next? Banning little girls from playing dress up? And wearing mom’s heals and lipstick?
Good grief!
And Anonymous is right - a “tramp stamp” is on the lower back right above the butt. The Barbie doll is shown with a tattoo on her arm.
Misleading article headline.

Barbara March 6, 2009, 1:10 PM

Barbies have been around since dinosaurs if they are a bad influence what about them toy cars that smash into each other or them army guys with cigars do they influence boys to become smokers and reckless drivers. I could go on listing things other than barbie that is a whole lot worst. If you don;t like barbie than don’t buy it! I don’t think toys are the issue here it is the tv and commercials that are influencing these kids. People we have bigger issues to worry about than plastic. I have a tatto and piercing not because I played with barbies because my mom let me watch them stupid soap opras and because my mom had them. Recognize the true issue.

April March 6, 2009, 4:11 PM

Well…they have officially come out with a “trailer park trash” barbie. Nice going mattel… We will no longer be buying barbies.

N'  March 6, 2009, 10:10 PM

To April..I have 7 tattoos and I am not trailer park trash. I own a home, have a nice car, a good job and pay my taxes.
I am a Financial Advisor for a Local College, also I program databases. I have taken my kids to numerous B-day parties and almost all of them had temp tattoos and even an airbrush temp tattoo kit. I have been collecting barbies all my life. Tattoos are not as taboo as they once were. In other countries it is mandatory for some cultures to have traditional body art..men, women and children. So dont buy barbies anymore…..I for one am glad that I dont share a hobby with you.I am sure that you have a satisfying life as a wife and soccer mom.

Barbie March 7, 2009, 12:10 AM

It’s a big turnoff to see a tattoo on a female,be it a tiny butterfly,a rose,mickey mouse,whatever.It just turns me off,strike’s me as kinda selfish “hey look at my hidden super tiny pink tattoo on my ankle” bleh.

Laura March 7, 2009, 11:21 AM

I have to disagree as a mother of three children and a wife of a tattoo artist I feel a tattoo is art. Complaining about a barbie with tattoos and a fake tattoo gun is stereotypical. Tattooing is a legitamate career. My children are taught they will have the right to choose what they want to do with there bodies when they are of legal age so why not let my daughter or son play with a barbie that comes with temporary tattoos. The next thing people will start complaining about are temporary tattoos all together. If you dont like it don’t buy it that is the choice everyone has but don’t put everything down just because you don’t agree with it.

Denise Shelton March 7, 2009, 12:45 PM

I think this is a marketing ploy by Mattel. They know there will be a public outcry and the doll will eventually be pulled from the shelves. (Remember Earring Magic Ken?) In the meantime, collectors will go wild snapping up as many as they can before they aren’t available anymore so they can sell them on eBay for ridiculous prices. BTW, did you see the “Cougar Barbie” fake ad on “Saturday Night Live”? Priceless!

Allison March 7, 2009, 5:14 PM

What the hell? What is wrong with Barbie getting a few tattoos? About 50% of AMERICA has tattoos. I would think that mothers would be more concerned about Barbie’s crotch-length skirts and low cut tops, not about a few washable tattoos. By the time their children get old enough to actually get a tattoo, hopefully they will be smart enough to think the matter through. Remember, people, they’re just kids! Children deserve to be able to play with toys they like.

X.david Williams March 8, 2009, 12:09 AM

I am a professional tattoo artist and have been since 1995. The subject of whether or not a tattoo places someone into a lower class or are placed mostly on the lower class is an old argument. Having a tattoo only places some one into the category of having a tattoo and that’s all. Just like not every one that lives in a trailer park is trash, I know trashy people who live in all kinds of dwellings. The most important thing is what we are saying to children. Is it ok for children to have tattoos? I would say NO, just like it is not ok for chldren to drive cars ,drink alcohol ,0r own guns. These are adult issues that would best be handled by an adult. People need to spend more time and effort parenting there children. On a professional note the devise used to apply a tattoo is not called a gun, it is a tool ,a machine . A gun is a weapon. This is my three cents.
-X.david williams father of two girls

Kim March 9, 2009, 11:22 AM

well its not worse than having tattoos
in those vending machines. Like my grand daughter gets tattoos from them and puts them on and Barbie is trying to keep up with the times. teach your kids that you dont like tattoos and most kids will listsen to thier parents. parents are a big influance in their kids lives.

Kittie March 9, 2009, 11:04 PM

Parents really shouldn’t be worried about tattoo Barbie. I certainly never wanted to grow up to be Barbie, and I’m sure my parents would’ve perferred it if I had. Oh, no, no, noI wanted to grow up to be Tank Girl. LOL! When your daughters start wanting to dress like that (google it if you have to) THEN you can worry!

Society March 10, 2009, 1:37 AM

Actually having tatoos and peircing pretty much makes you a tramp.

Tounge ring says = Give me a BJ