Barbie Gets a Tramp Stamp

Now, if little girls want to be just like Barbie ... they can just get a tattoo!

barbie-tattoo.jpg

Barbie celebrates her 50th birthday next week, so maybe it's just a midlife crisis, or she had one too many white wine spritzers. In any event -- Barbie got inked.

Her new "Totally Stylin' Tattoos" comes with tattoo stickers girls can stick anywhere -- and we do mean anywhere -- on the plastic icon's impossibly-shaped body. And that's not all, kids! The set also comes with a tattoo gun so girls can give themselves (washable) tattoos. Will "Tattoo Removal Artist Barbie" be hitting shelves next year?

Despite some controversy, the doll appears to be hit. As of now, Mattel says it has no plans to discontinue the doll -- like it was forced to do back in 2002 with Midge, Barbie's pregnant friend who had a pop-off tummy revealing a little plastic infant.

Controversy is nothing new to Barbie. Just yesterday, a West Virginia lawmaker introduced the so-called "Barbie Ban Bill" that would ban sales of the doll. "I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart," said state Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge.

Are dolls like Barbie a bad influence on young girls ... or is this no big whoop?

next: Our Nation is OctoCrazy!
Gail Cooke March 10, 2009, 6:18 PM

An issue with Barbie having a tattoo. My God, are people so bored that this is actually an issue? Is there not anything in the news that is far more important than this?

Half the ladies in the office I work in have tattoos. I assure you, they are far from tramps. In fact, I have two tasteful tattoos, which I am very happy with. The tattoos do no one any harm and I’m glad I got them.

Society, I appreciate your Victorian attitudes, but please realize this is the year 2009. Women aren’t relegated to wearing petticoats and pinafores anymore. We also vote, which, in the old days, was considered unladylike and absurd. Or maybe you just know a lot of tramps that happen to have tattoos. I don’t know.

Perhaps talking with women with tattoos would overcome your biases regarding them.

Vanessa Y. March 11, 2009, 10:52 PM

Uhm….Bratz dolls should be removed before Barbie. We should ban a lot more things before this doll that has been around for 50 years.

I do think nipple piercings are nasty, “society” but tattoos do not make you a tramp. Your behavior does.

Stephanie March 12, 2009, 3:21 AM

Not the worst thing that can happen to our country… Girl Scouts even make tattoos. I have been a girl scout for 17 years an I have a tattoo does that make me a bad influence? Barbie is 50… older then some of us…let her make her own choices and get over it… BTW I am a proud owner of pregnant midge and I wish they had a midwife barbie!!!

Rob March 12, 2009, 1:42 PM

Guess What, As a guy who played with action figures growing up I never had issues that I was never as strong as GI-Joe, or that I never could swing from webs and climb up walls like Spider-man, or as smart as Mr. Fantastic.

Its no different for dolls and girls i expect, one’s self image is more influenced by the effects of their own choices and how strongly they were parented, not by the toys they play with. Let barbie have a tattoo, I’d support my kid if they wanted a tattoo and it was something responsible at 17 or 18 or so.

Alicia March 12, 2009, 8:08 PM

I personally am a Mom without tattoos. HOWEVER- I see nothing wrong with this barbie. Everytime we walk past the machine with the temporary tattoos in them I hear, “Can I have one?” I don’t not buy them for fear that one day my children would want tattoos. I wore temporary tattoos when I was a child too. The barbie comes with tattoos for Barbie and/or the child. I don’t see where this is an issue at all. If you don’t like it don’t buy it. I don’t like peas and I don’t buy them! I don’t start a controversy about them. In fact I am considering going to Target and buying this barbie!

coffee March 21, 2009, 2:15 AM

legislators had to realize proposing a Barbie ban would cause a big media stir but, then again, maybe this was strategic…

confused April 10, 2009, 7:47 PM

I really don’t understand the brouhaha over this Barbie - they came out with one just like it over 10 years ago, with butterfly tattoos, low cut jeans and a belly shirt.

vrocks May 4, 2009, 11:34 AM

@aerialla - I agree, completely. I love how these “holier than thou” types like to sit up on their high horse and generalize or stereotype the actions of some people. I guess receiving my Master’s in Accounting as well as acquiring my certification after taking both the CPA and CFE exams in hopes of becoming a forensic accountant (pfft… I don’t have to hope) don’t mean anything because I have a few tattoos on my arms. Hmmm… I should just quit my internal auditing job and go sit on a corner huffing smack because that is my trashy fate as a person with tattoos.

You people need to get out of the house once in a while. The walls surrounding you are destroying your common sense. :D

Heather May 11, 2009, 3:07 PM

Okay, really this is getting a little ridiculous!! Parents I don’t think children are going to look up to a 12 inch tall peice of plastic and if they do that means someone (meaning YOU) is not doing their job as a parent. Our children are supposed to look up to their parents not a piece of plastic. Are they fun to play with? Absolutely. Do all your friends have one? Probably. Is that look within a resonable reach of a child that actually plays with barbie? I don’t think so!! Let’s get serious here if you are so worried about a barbie doll making an influence on your childs’ life I would hate to think what kind of examples you are setting for them. I myself am a parent of two young children not even in school yet I have a tattoo (my childrens names) and a tongue ring. I have a darn good college degree and make quite a bit of money for a person my age but hey guess what none of that should matter to anyone because all that matters is that i am a good mother and a good role model i don’t depend on a barbie doll to give my children something to look up to, I am what they look up to!!

Debbie May 16, 2009, 5:00 PM

C’mon, I grew up with Barbies and it never pushed me into wanting to be like her. She is just a doll! like other people have said “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover”. I rememeber playing with kids tatoos that washed of, it was fun! didn’t make me want to have tattoo’s, though I do have one, and have had numerous piercings.
Lighten up

nini November 30, 2009, 3:44 PM

shes not cool shes ugly i painted her it came ugly ;C
JK SHES FASHION :D

Rania December 2, 2009, 1:51 PM

I go to university and I carry my books with arms that both have full sleeves on them. Tattoos are harmless, if getting a tattoo is the “worst” things your kid ever does you’ll be lucky.

Anonymous January 28, 2010, 7:03 AM

so qute

Raven September 7, 2010, 5:23 PM

I loved barbie when i was little and i loved the pregnant one, just like the little pregnant cat. Barbie is meant to be an older doll for girls. I loved washable tattoos when i was little also. But i grew out of it. Yea i admit barbies are getting a little more showy. But my little sister loves the movies and has a few of my old dolls that were left. I honestly dont see anything wrong.

Online Banking October 18, 2010, 2:47 PM

I was just talking with my coworker about this last week at dinner . Don’t remember how in the world we landed on the topic actually , they brought it up. I do recall eating a excellent steak salad with cranberries on it. I digress…

kejsi November 4, 2010, 5:35 AM

je shume e bukur

gold November 4, 2010, 12:20 PM

im a beautiful girl whit sexy body and hair i love to be a model

miami ink tattoos November 19, 2010, 1:40 PM

I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)

mattel tattoo barbie November 21, 2010, 5:57 AM

oh,guy,it’i realy great!

Television Cable Providers In San Antonio November 25, 2010, 1:20 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.