Bath Time Can Lead to Cancer

Bath time is supposed to fun and relaxing for kids so how would you feel if you found out the the products you are using on them may cause cancer?

mother bathing baby

Well, according to a recent study, that's exactly what's happening because many children's bath products contain chemicals that may cause cancer and skin allergies.

According to the study, which was released earlier this week by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, 23 of 28 products tested contained formaldehyde. For those of you only familiar with formaldehyde as an embalming agent, it's considered a probable carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency and is released as preservatives break down over time in a container.

32 of 48 products contained 1,4-dioxane, also considered a probable human carcinogen by the EPA, which is a byproduct of a chemical processing techniques used to make petroleum-based ingredients gentler to the skin. Nearly two-thirds of products tested, including Johnson's Baby Shampoo, contained both chemicals, according to a coalition of environmental and health groups that includes the Breast Cancer Fund and the Environmental Working Group.

A spokeswoman for Johnson & Johnson says the company's products are safe, meeting or exceeding all regulations. And a spokesman for the Personal Care Products Council says the study's results are old news.

Apparently, manufacturers have known for years that bubble bath, shampoo and other products contain small amounts of formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane, and have already reduced theses levels significantly, says John Bailey, the council's chief scientist.

A new study from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics found that many baby bath products contain formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane, which are both linked to cancer and skin allergies. The campaign notes that products with formaldehyde levels over 500 parts per million require warning labels in Europe, although not in the USA.

See Also:

next: What the Heck is a Ponzi Scheme?
NANA March 13, 2009, 6:56 PM

CRAP- what do we bathe with then>

Kristen March 13, 2009, 7:53 PM

Nana,
You should try things like Dr. Bronners all natural soap. Also when searching for bath products you should look for labels that state EU compliant, the european union(EU) has much stronger rules for beauty products.
YOu can also use the skin deep cosmetics database to look up how toxic your stuff is. It also gives you a list of nontoxic.

Kelly March 22, 2009, 2:28 PM

So the Johnson’s stuff we all grew up havingused on us, then using it on our kids is going to kill us all? Sure, OK.

A.M.C March 26, 2009, 1:26 AM

Perhaps its just another way of making parents spend EVEN more money on stuff.. That “all natural” stuff is WAY more expensive then johnsons and johnsons, or huggies brand… I suppose its worth it if its true tho…hmmm..something to think about!

Carolyn March 26, 2009, 3:47 PM

I buy all my household products through a catalog company based in Idaho. In the U.S. there is no regulation of personal care products like there is in Europe so you have to be very careful. This company is very strict with its ingredients. I haven’t had a sinus infection since I started using their products almost three years ago and threw away my Astelin, Flonase and Allegra products about a year and a half ago. I’m hooked and even have a website that talks about wellness that I share with friends. It’s Cincy.WhyWellness.com. The Toxic Video is very informative. Maybe it will be helpful to you, too.

Sally Ann May 28, 2009, 8:36 PM

What does this mean for Johnson &Johnson??
I thought this company was the BEST in terms of baby products!!!

Sandy May 28, 2009, 8:49 PM

I am a person with very delicate skin
(Lupus). The only products that I am able to use is Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil, power, and lotion. For twenty-five years, all I have been able to use and smell is the products produced by Johnson
& Johnson. I have had no negative effects from the products. I think every time researchers want to find something negative they will find a way to do it. In my opinion, I feel the products are safe or else using it on a daily bases I would already be DEAD!!!

Forum grossesse March 5, 2011, 8:21 PM

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If attainable, as you turn into experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with more details? It’s highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this weblog publish!