I Quit ... So Let 'Em Eat Cake!

Check out Neil's "cake of resignation."

When Neil Berrett decided that he wanted to resign from his job because of a health issue in his family, he decided that rather than give his boss a ho-hum resignation letter, he'd give him an edible one instead!

"Dear Mr. Bowers,

During the past three years, my tenure at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard has been nothing short of pure excitement, joy and whim.

However, I have decided to spend more time with my family and attend to health issues that have recently arisen. I am proud to have been part of such an outstanding team and I wish this organization only the finest in future endeavors.

Please accept this cake as notification that I am leaving my position with NWT on March 27.

Sincerely,

W. Neil Berrett"

What do you think of his cake of resignation?

man holding cake of resignation

next: Dora the Tween Explorer ... Revealed!
MotherProof.com March 18, 2009, 12:04 PM

I think this is clever and thoughtful. As a boss, its always nice to have an appreciative farewell notice.

amy March 18, 2009, 4:06 PM

I just gave notice yesterday and wish that I had heard this story. I am a big baker and this would have been a great way to tell my boss.

Wow March 18, 2009, 5:09 PM

That’s imaginative and all but at the same time immature and not very professional.

Gail Cooke March 18, 2009, 5:32 PM

I love it!

Rebecca March 18, 2009, 5:51 PM

It’s not immature and unprofessional if you have a good relationship with your boss. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of humor in the workplace, and it sounds like he did not necessarily want to quit his job but had to due to family reasons. That was a good way of saying I’m sorry I have to quit, I really do like my job but family is more important

m2 March 18, 2009, 5:56 PM

I think it’s sweet (no pun intended). some people need to get the sticks out of their rears. You don’t know what sort of work environment it was, or how he and his boss related to each other. It might be very relaxed there, and many people are actually friends with their bosses. I highly doubt that you have the education to determine what is and isn’t professional, anyhow.

LB March 18, 2009, 6:39 PM

m2, what was the point of insulting someone’s education because you disagree with someone. At least the person who didn’t agree with the story kept their comment respectful. Perhaps you should follow your own advice regarding sticks and rears.

Wow March 18, 2009, 7:07 PM

Rebecca, that makes sense and you have a point, maybe he had a letter on paper as well and this was a goodbye partyish thing for coworkers alike. It didn’t occur to me at first that this was also a goodbye treat for his coworkers. I appreciate your being nice in your comment, I guess I’m stuck on my old fashioned goodbye letter ways and jumped to conclusions. :)

m2, I’m sorry you took such great offence. I’m also sorry you took such a childish route when making your snarky comments. They truly weren’t necessary and rather rude when you no nothing of me either.

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 3:11 AM