How Casey Anthony Dodged the Death Penalty

Why won't the prosecution seek the death penalty in the Casey Anthony case?

casey-anthony-10.jpg
Most people following the tragic story of the beautiful toddler named Caylee blame her mother Casey for her horrific death. And many would like to see her pay for her crime with the ultimate punishment.

Prosecutors, at least at this time, are not seeking the death penalty -- even though Anthony's case meets the criteria -- because, as they say, it is not in the best interest of their case to do so. But a whopping 78% of respondents to a local Orlando-area TV station poll disagree. Not a surprise. Emotions run high when an innocent little girl is found dead in the woods, mouth covered in duct tape and left in a trash bag.

Rather than public opinion, the prosecution must weigh their options based on the outcome of a trail -- particularly the penalty phase.

Could a jury or Anthony's peers be decide to end her life? Attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, doesn't think so. "The overriding reason the prosecution has not put the death penalty on the table," believes Sax, "is that Casey Anthony doesn't fit the standard profile of murderer." It's true, the young and pretty Casey Anthony isn't anyone's idea of a cold-blooded killer. Men in particular might find it difficult to judge the diminutive Anthony.

Another consideration, says Sax, is the prosecution can't seem overzealous to the jury. "It's a psychological tactic", says Sax."They want to appear as not being out for blood. It's as if their saying to the jurors 'See? We're fair.'"

Judge Jeanne Pirro believes the prosecution is ditching the death penalty because a jury would believe, for a woman who loves to party and thinks she's smarter than the rest of the world, the ultimate penalty is not death. "She's young," says Pirro, "making her live with Caylee's death for 60 or 70 years would be the real punishment." You can see Judge Pirro on lay down the law daily at 3:00 on the CW.

Do you think the prosecution should seek the death penalty?

See Also:

next: Baby Olympian? DNA Test Screens Sports Ability
GIVE ME A BREAK March 11, 2009, 8:44 AM

Well if America started killing these people the way they kill their victims,then maybe people would stop and think before they do such cruel and horrible things.In a court of law if somebody is found guilty beyound any doubt,the they should be killed right then and there in the same manner they killed their victims. Take Casey drug her,tape her mouth shut then put her in a garbage bag on the side of the road. Let her feel the pain her daughter felt!!!!! Here in America we pamper our killers ,oh sit in a cell with three meals a day . They don’t have to work or pay for anything.Tax payers are fed up with all this bull sh**. We keep these people up and pay for them.No wonder this country is broke!!! I’m tired of working my butt off to support this country!!! Our tax dollars should be used to better our schools and help the homeless,not Casey Anthony.Susan Smith is living it up in prison screwing guards and not worring about anything.She should have been strapped in a car and thrown in a lake to suffer and drown just like her two boys did.

why March 12, 2009, 1:30 PM

I cant believe this CASE! How can this woman get away with the obvious? IT IS SO OBVIOUS SHE KILLED HER.. THE LIES, THE CHLOROFORM FOUND IN “TOT MOMS” CAR. THE RESEARCH ON HER OWN COMPUTER?..IS THIS NOT ADDING UP? THE LIES TOLD IN THE POLICE INTERROGATION OFFICE. 1 PLUS 1 PLUS 1 PLUS 1 EQUALS FOUR PEOPLE…. ADD IT UP. DEATH PENALTY FOR CASEY ANTHONY. LETS NOT TEACH OUR VERY OWN THAT CRIME PAYS. AS SHE REAPS IN THE MONEY ON HER OWN CRIME. HOW VERY SAD THIS COUNTRY HAS BECOME.

Anonymous March 15, 2009, 4:47 AM

I think this was a crime of passion. If Casey had had a better mother herself she would never have killed her child

Anonymous March 15, 2009, 5:01 AM

I know whereof I speak. There is no greater hell for a daughter than to be held in total disregard and contempt by her own mother. When the bane of your existence tries to usurp the affections of your own child it is too much to bear. If I had any say in it, that dear old grandma, Cindy, would be the one sitting in jail for the rest of her life!

Deborah Merritt March 15, 2009, 7:03 PM

Only a portion of the evidence has been released! How Caylee was murdered has not yet been revealed-I hope the information is not revealed until the trial. I pray that as more and more
information comes in about Caylee’s murder that on the day of the jury selection the prosecution announces they are seeking the death penalty!

Julia March 25, 2009, 5:46 PM

I think the evidence is clear and I am sure she will be found guilty as she should be. But think sometimes in some cases the dealth penalty is too easy that life with no chance of parole might be a better punishment. it’s clear she cared more about going out and having a good time then her daugther so think maybe knowing she would never see the out side of a jail cell and never party again would be harder on her then the death penalty. I also think her family is not telling all they know they don’t seem like stupid people they have to know she is guilty and there support should be with Caylee and getting her justice she deserves that much from her grandparents and Uncle

just another voice April 7, 2009, 1:20 AM

she don’t care what she did, she shows no remorse.shes a waste of the tax payers money and should be put to death.I only wish i couldn’t push the button myself.

Marco C. April 13, 2009, 8:03 PM

Why in the world would you stoop down to the level of a murderer? Whether the mother is guilty of the crime or not, YOU have no right to take her life away. Killing her does not fix what she had done, and it does not teach anyone a lesson. Remember that even killers that kill because of “passion crimes” do not plan on getting caught therefore they do not actually understand the consequence of capital punishment. For the ignorant post above me: Capital punishment cases cost MUCH more money than life in prison. Read about the budget distribution for cases in Florida and Texas. Maintaining capital punishment forces jails to release criminals early due to lack of funds. Not to mention less funding for police. Don’t believe me? Fine go ahead an be ignorant; maybe you will be victim of one of these inmates that were released early. Educate yourselves a little, that type of punishment does not reduce crime or murders, it is just simple retribution. Feel free to look up statistics of all the states in the US that do not have capital punishment and murder rates. Not the way a modern society should be. If she is indeed guilty, life in prison is a fair sentence, not her death my fellow undertakers by conscience. :)

Mike April 14, 2009, 4:17 AM

This is not a “passion crime”. This a coldly calculated murder by a narcissistic sociopath. They do not possess normal human feelings or remorse for their actions, and are incapable of them. Normally I am opposed to the death penalty where the person may mature as they often do, but for narcissitic sociopaths, there is never any such event, the only thing that may awaken them at all is when they finally face death and their fantasy world crashes in, as we saw with Bundy for example. Only inevitable death can accomplish some realizion of what they have done for these types, not life in prison. Sometimes execution is the best human justice can offer.

Bill April 14, 2009, 4:20 PM

Most of you are a bunch of bleeding hearts. In Casey Anthony’s case, we should all consider the age old “eye for an eye”, dope her up with chlorophrom, duct tape her mouth (let’s not forget a cute little sticker) and snap her neck! I personaly would do it for free, and relieve the state of the burden for the costs of jail or the death penalty!

Abysmal April 14, 2009, 5:26 PM

Mike what exactly makes her a narcissistic sociopath? Although our opinions in this blog do not affect the case, they do represent a large portion of people that think like you. Maybe even the people that get to judge her sentence. Care to explain why as you say “when they face death and their fantasy world crashes in…” is a better solution than life in prison?
If we used the eye for an eye idea we wouldn’t get very far in this world.

Anonymous May 14, 2009, 6:28 AM

Thou shalt not kill!!! This is the only thing you can say about this stuff! The Death Penalty is the ultimate denial of human rights! Killing Casey means to punish her family also - they can’t see her daughter anymore! DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE EXECUTED?!?!!?!?!?
First think, than speak, idiots!

Kalea June 21, 2009, 12:47 PM

Hi. Never rely on the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law.
I am from Bahrain and learning to read in English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “Cream n is used to treat fungal infections of the fingernails and toenails.”

:P Thanks in advance. Kalea.

Mvdnstbg June 27, 2009, 8:46 PM

9D6eGL comment6 ,

Abina July 1, 2009, 5:02 PM

Very informative and enlightening website.
I am from Macedonia and know bad English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Pest control supplies for fleas, do your own flea control with professional products not available in stores at the same price the pros.”

With love 8-), Abina.

Hadassa September 6, 2009, 12:57 PM

Very interesting & professional site. You done great work.
I am from Emirates and also now teach English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “During the rising funds frankfurt prevented into one of the stock’s first market rules - much to london and paris, fantasy share trading.”

Regards :-D Hadassa.

Chaim September 10, 2009, 11:37 PM

Hello. Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.
I am from Croatia and , too, and now am writing in English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Beauty cosmetics shop, a value merger, or bismuth marketization, is a product taken n’t, not adversely frenetically regularly, on the own customer of its prejudices, and n’t prescribes solution, help registration, and contamination policies as given hides.”

:o Thanks in advance. Chaim.

KB October 9, 2009, 9:18 AM

As much as I would like to see her shot, hung and tortured…death is only scary for a moment, then she’s out of it all…

I think she should get solitary for life. I think they should cage her 23 hours a day and then for 1 hour a day they should take her out and beat her into a pulp.

KB October 9, 2009, 9:26 AM

My sentence for Casey:

1. Solitary Confinement 23.5 hours a day

2. Violent Beating/Gagging/Torture for 30 minutes

3. Repeat for 75 years

LEANNParks21 August 1, 2010, 11:59 PM

I would like to propose not to wait until you earn big sum of money to order goods! You should just get the business loans or consolidation loans and feel yourself free