Chris Brown an Awful Kid's Choice?

Despite allegedly engaging in some very un-family-friendly behavior, Chris Brown is still a contender for Nickelodeon's Kid's Choice Awards.

Chris Brown

When it comes to being a teen role model, lately Chris Brown falls short. The 19-year-old Radio Disney sensation was recently charged with beating up his girlfriend Rihanna -- although, according to reports the couple has reconciled.

It's the kind of tawdry story parents often use as a cautionary tale, and is hardly behavior that should be rewarded. Yet the children's network Nickelodeon still plans to feature Brown in their upcoming Kid's Choice Awards.

Parents, particularly moms in the blogsphere are voicing their disapproval. Twitter and message boards have been inundated with calls for Nickelodeon to remove Brown from the award ballots. Both Rihanna and Brown are up for multiple awards.

Nickelodeon executives, however, stand by their decision."Like all our KCA nominees, Chris Brown was nominated by kids several months ago based on his work as a performer, and the kids who vote will ultimately decide who wins in the category," Nickelodeon said in a statement.

Clinical psychologist Dr. Cara Gardenswartz questioned Nickelodeon's decision to keep Brown on the ballot. "Nickelodeon is an adult-run network that is saying we are letting the kids decide. They are saying we don't need adults to step in and say that this is inappropriate," Gardenswartz said. "It's setting a horrible precedent and it's damaging. Kids can't differentiate between [Brown's] actions and his songs."

Despite Nickelodeon's determination to go ahead as if nothing has happened, an online petition has been circulating to remove both stars ballots. "We are appalled that Chris Brown and Rihanna are still listed as a nominees on the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards show."

The petition explains why Rihanna, the victim of the alleged abuse, should also be removed because she "refused a no-contact order and plans to continue the relationship in spite of [an alleged] violent attack by Brown."

What's making the toxic union of Brown and Rihanna even more troubling is the recent report that the couple are recording a song together.  According to the Insider, "The seemingly reconciled duo have been working on a duet that Brown is hoping to include on his new album."

Do you think Chris Brown and Rihanna should be removed from the Nickelodeon ballots? Sound off in the momlogic community!!

next: Iron Chef and Wife: BOTH Pregnant!
Kathi March 10, 2009, 3:07 PM

Someone who beats women is NOT someone you let kids choose for ANYTHING!

Sophia March 10, 2009, 3:15 PM

Not only will our family NOT watch the Nickelodeon Kids Choice awards, we will not watch any Nick Jr, Nick toons or any other Nickelodeon associated sponsored shows.

pete March 10, 2009, 3:42 PM

As a dad of two daughters, I know for a fact that if we do watch the KCAs this year, they will definitely know who Chris Brown is and what he did to his supposed girlfriend. I’m shocked at the stance Nickelodeon has taken on this.

Former Abusee March 10, 2009, 4:05 PM

How about displaying the photo of Rihanna’s bruised, bloody and swollen face instead of the “better times” photos for an impact? Rihanna should have it taped to her refrigerator door so she’d never forget what that sorry excuse for a man did to her. Now that she is back w/him I blame them both and think neither should be rewarded w/a People’s Choice award…hopefully their careers will fizzle out after this.

C_J2 March 10, 2009, 5:11 PM

My boys will not be watching this!! And I think it’s very sad for Nick to allow him to be on this show! There is so much more I would like to say, but I will just leave it at that!

Peggy Gorman March 10, 2009, 7:33 PM

They just don’t get it! There is no reason for a man to hit a woman and if you do you are and will be responsible for your actions!
Nick allowing him to be involved is very wrong and giving the wrong message to our children! When Nickelodeon made this choice to keep Chris Brown on the ballot they are telling the world they support men who batter woman.
Shame on Nickelodeon for rewarding Chris Brown . What next Nickelodeon,
Nayda showing up for her TV show??

Peggy Gorman March 10, 2009, 7:46 PM

I have to say one more thing,because this is so important.
What will happen next time he does this,because it will happen again! I hope for both of them that he doesn’t kill her.
Here in Ct. there was a woman that had a restraining order,went to the police,tried to get help hours before her ex- boyfiend killed her on Valentines Day.
We hear so many stories of abuse everyday,woman trying to get away ,this is a cycle that has to stop!
When it happens to stars and kids see it. Now they are going to feel its ok,because “look at Chris”.
No woman should allow herself to be abused!

Mike March 10, 2009, 8:36 PM
me March 11, 2009, 2:47 AM

Sophia your ridiculous.Rhianna isnt even that great! if it was some stranger woman no one would care! everyone should mind their business and let the two be! its not your life.

Dennis March 11, 2009, 8:10 AM

I guess if Nick goes through with it then we will know they place their ratings above their values. I for one do not need my children learning those values.

GIVE ME A BREAK March 11, 2009, 8:21 AM

We make these people who they are.He beat up his girlfriend and thats all I’ve hard about on the radio.Who cares, she took him back ‘she deserves what she gets.We make them the people they are.Our kids look up to all kinds of terrible people because of the media.If he gets a kids choice award let it be!!!!

Argell March 11, 2009, 10:25 AM

Never heard of a petition against Brittany Spears, her litter sister or
Mylie C for their behavior. I wonder why?

Amy March 11, 2009, 10:45 AM

“Give me a break” and “Me” -
Your ignorance makes me want to cry. She does not deserve what she gets. That is ridiculous. And yes, I care about any woman who has the crap beat out of her Rhianna or not. I am not even a Rhianna Fan however I still think it’s awful.
I love the argument “Me” has:
“Rhianna isn’t even that great”. As though it’s ok to have her beat because she isn’t “that great”. I can’t believe woman like you exist in this day in age…It makes me sick. Grow up.

tara March 11, 2009, 11:02 AM

My daughter just went out and bought the chris brown cd I took her myself 2 go get it…I’m glad nickelodeon is not removin them from the awards!!!we were not there u people need 2 get a life its none of our buisness!!!

tara March 11, 2009, 11:07 AM

Iam glad nickelodeon is not removin them from the show…I just went and took my daughter 2 buy the chris brown cd!!we weren’t there people need 2 mind there buisness and get a life!!!my daughter and I stand behind both of them!!we are big and always will b chris brown fans!!!

tara March 11, 2009, 11:12 AM

Amy March 11, 2009, 11:12 AM

That’s great, Tara…nice work.

JD March 11, 2009, 11:14 AM

As a father of two girls I find it ridiculous that anyone would want to praise Brown or Rhianna with any kind of award. It’s also unbelievable that Brown is accused of beating a woman, Rhianna has acted with the poorest judgment of a battered woman and we are talking about whether our kids should give them an award for their achievments. You are judged by your words and actions and that is what I will continue to teach my kids. If you beat a woman then you are a “Woman Beater”. If Nick allows Suspect Brown or Victim Rhianna to be a part of the Kids Choice, my family will never watch your network again. “Goodbye” Spongebob

Tom March 11, 2009, 11:24 AM

I am a single male and i am as outraged as all of you make sure your children arent allowed to watch or listen to chris and explain why, he hits women and is a bad example to all people about violence we cannot support him

mary March 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

I’m new to this website, so could you tell me-did you call for Britney or Miley to not be on the shows or nominated? It’s time for parents to face reality that none of these people are role models for your kids, YOU are their role models!! Teach your kids not to take anything at face value. Just because he sings “clean lyrics” and doesn’t have “undressed” girls in his videos does mean he’s that way in real life. It’s an image he projects to MAKE MONEY. If your child is old enough to watch the awards then they should be old enough for you to explain the situation. One more thing to think about- and think hard- if this was your son, would you honestly say he could never change? Would you write him off, or would you be trying to get him help?