Chris Brown an Awful Kid's Choice?

Despite allegedly engaging in some very un-family-friendly behavior, Chris Brown is still a contender for Nickelodeon's Kid's Choice Awards.

Chris Brown

When it comes to being a teen role model, lately Chris Brown falls short. The 19-year-old Radio Disney sensation was recently charged with beating up his girlfriend Rihanna -- although, according to reports the couple has reconciled.

It's the kind of tawdry story parents often use as a cautionary tale, and is hardly behavior that should be rewarded. Yet the children's network Nickelodeon still plans to feature Brown in their upcoming Kid's Choice Awards.

Parents, particularly moms in the blogsphere are voicing their disapproval. Twitter and message boards have been inundated with calls for Nickelodeon to remove Brown from the award ballots. Both Rihanna and Brown are up for multiple awards.

Nickelodeon executives, however, stand by their decision."Like all our KCA nominees, Chris Brown was nominated by kids several months ago based on his work as a performer, and the kids who vote will ultimately decide who wins in the category," Nickelodeon said in a statement.

Clinical psychologist Dr. Cara Gardenswartz questioned Nickelodeon's decision to keep Brown on the ballot. "Nickelodeon is an adult-run network that is saying we are letting the kids decide. They are saying we don't need adults to step in and say that this is inappropriate," Gardenswartz said. "It's setting a horrible precedent and it's damaging. Kids can't differentiate between [Brown's] actions and his songs."

Despite Nickelodeon's determination to go ahead as if nothing has happened, an online petition has been circulating to remove both stars ballots. "We are appalled that Chris Brown and Rihanna are still listed as a nominees on the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards show."

The petition explains why Rihanna, the victim of the alleged abuse, should also be removed because she "refused a no-contact order and plans to continue the relationship in spite of [an alleged] violent attack by Brown."

What's making the toxic union of Brown and Rihanna even more troubling is the recent report that the couple are recording a song together. According to the Insider, "The seemingly reconciled duo have been working on a duet that Brown is hoping to include on his new album."

Do you think Chris Brown and Rihanna should be removed from the Nickelodeon ballots? Sound off in the momlogic community!!

next: Iron Chef and Wife: BOTH Pregnant!
Lori March 25, 2009, 12:08 PM

I think they are nuts to

Lanye March 25, 2009, 12:10 PM

I think they are nuts and they should not let him be on it. He is a DISGRACE

shanequa morris March 27, 2009, 9:20 AM

Chris Brown mess up one time and he cant be in the awards show why Rihanna in it she threw his keys out the window and gave him herpees he hit her that mark can go away btu herpees cant yall shhould be ashame of self

shantal April 26, 2009, 10:24 AM

YES CHRIS BROWN SHOULD BE NOMINATED…i dont like Rhianna but she should be 2. i disagree that any man OR woman should put there hands on each other but every1 makes mistakes. do they not? in my opinion chris n rhianna should be nominated…if these 2 were a normal coulp who were not a big star n every thing it wouldnt be all over the world but com on the are 2 normal people evry one makes mistakes so juz give them a chance and make them live live to the fullest PLEASE!

Light Ash Brown Hair Color November 24, 2010, 11:37 PM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 28, 2010, 12:58 AM

Excellent site. Thank you, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:11 PM

Your blog is fine. I just want to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way too much and it takes away from what youve got to say —which I think is really important. I dont know if you didnt think that your words could hold everyones attention, but you were wrong.

Gel Nails With Tips Tutorial December 15, 2010, 1:39 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

spy cell phone  December 23, 2010, 2:29 PM

Many thanks for getting some time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and adore understanding much more with this topic. If doable, as you acquire expertise, can you mind updating your blog with far more info? It’s extremely helpful to me come to think of that , i never considered it in that way before.

William Heisler December 29, 2010, 6:27 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Boston Cabs January 6, 2011, 10:32 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

Celtic Wedding Ceremony Entrance Song January 6, 2011, 3:03 PM

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 5:57 AM

There are actually lots of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up where the most important thing might be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys feel the impression of only a moment?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Unlock iPhone 4.0 January 13, 2011, 4:50 PM

I carry on listening to the rumor talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

zespół na wesele February 19, 2011, 2:11 AM

Interesting and usefull for me, i’m agree with this.

funny quotes about life lessons March 8, 2011, 1:14 AM

You know that children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.

the sorcerer of the north pdf March 15, 2011, 7:28 AM

Thanks for posting. %WEBSITE%

Naomi Keeling March 17, 2011, 9:02 AM

lengthy logbook you’ve possess

do followers March 29, 2011, 1:39 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Clarice Lampron March 29, 2011, 4:03 PM

I have been checking out some of your stories and i can state pretty nice stuff. I will surely bookmark your site.