Dora the Knocked Up Teen Explorer

Dora has recently gone through an extreme makeover from kid to tween. Are her teen years far behind?

dora-little.jpg
It happened to Barbie when she got mid-life tramp stamp at 50. And now Dora the Explorer has gone through her own transformation from kid to tween. Some moms have voiced disapproval. Watch out. It might not stop there. What if Nickelodeon rolls out an even older teenage Dora?  As we all know the teen years can be rocky. Especially if you're gallivanting all over the world with a monkey who doesn't wear pants.

And then what would happen if Dora got pregnant?  According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, teen pregnancy is on the rise. You don't have to look any further than Jaimie-Lynn Spears or Bristol Palin for evidence of the Juno Effect.  But how on earth would Dora support herself? Don't ask Diego for help. He probably  wouldn't be the baby daddy anyway since they're cousins. That leaves Tico, Benny, the Map or Swiper. Honestly, would you trust your daughter alone with that sneaky fox?  "Swiper, 'no' means no!!"

Could this possibly be Dora of the future? Gosh, we hope not.
dora-the-explorer.jpg

See Also:

next: Sex and the Single Mom
Emma March 19, 2009, 9:06 AM

You know is really funny how when you had an article about Barbie getting a tattoo you didn’t put a welfare sign next to her, but yet you do it to Dora, a hispanic character. That’s really interesting.

Tonya March 19, 2009, 10:35 AM

I think the remaking of Dora is stupid. Who wants their favorite characters to really grow up? :(

Gail Cooke March 19, 2009, 10:43 AM

I think this article is ridiculous. I think the make over for Dora is awesome. What’s this garbage about pregnancy though? Spare me. Just because whoever wrote this article is displeased with what’s going on doesn’t mean that inflammatory comments and offensive inferences about the character’s future are in order. Maybe the person who wrote this article should grow up. How uncouth.

Sherry March 19, 2009, 10:49 AM

I think the Dora is awesome! My six year old daughter drew out of her and now may get back into her (and all the learning aspects of her show) rather than watching Hoochie-fied bratz and barbies….IMO

JB March 19, 2009, 11:03 AM

Uhm…. You do remember Dora is a fictional character.. She…is…not…real. So it is only a pretend welfare check and pregnancy. Get a grip!

Jessica March 19, 2009, 11:38 AM

I think that when that starts to air She will not watch it,we need to keep our children and treat them like little girls and have them not grow up so fast!So far i have not seen it, but my daughter is 2. I will still find the little kid dora for my child to watch. Where is the Morals theses days. I know kids grow up and all but my sister saw her with short mini skirts, that is not ok. I am disappointed what has this society come to?

Noah David Simon March 19, 2009, 11:42 AM

they made this into an ethnic issue here in the comments. geez as if Britney Speers and her sister weren’t real. The only shock is in seeing children characters in adult situations. no point in bring race in on the story.

I think it is nasty the way our society has made having children a bad thing. yes 12 kids is questionable. my girl was pissed when she got pregnant. she was almost 30 too. she called the police on me and went post pardon. water under the bridge, but I said to her… look if you don’t want our son I do. and started to leave with the baby. her sister called the police on me. our priorities are sad. my son is now five… and my girl has grown up and become a better person because of our child. I’m tired of career women like her sister looking down on her.
of course the police give the child back to crazy post pardon women… messed up system.

you will notice my profile says I’m not married. I wanted to get married. my girl didn’t. people look down at me because of it. I don’t like that either. I have always been faithful to her and especially since my son was born. marriage I support… but I don’t like the snobs about it

if someone said to me do you want to marry your girl today. I’d say yeah… but that is not what she wants. child or not. the system isn’t always compatible with people’s reputations

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 11:51 AM

I hate that they have done this to Dora. My toddler loves her. I don’t think she’ll care too much for the grown up Dora. This is ridiculous. Come on dump this idea and bring back the Dora we all love and know!

CC March 19, 2009, 12:28 PM

I think Dora is a great character. Now who ever went to the trouble to bring her character down.You are waisting your time. Kids are gona LOVE her regardless. Troubled minds always wonder off….My kids enjoy watching her and they will continue watching her!

Dora is my neighbor March 19, 2009, 1:44 PM

She looks like a soccer mom in your version. In fact, I think she lives three streets over from me.

Jan March 19, 2009, 7:33 PM

Tween Dora is okay. My sister grew up watching Dora and now she’s 13. She saw the transformation and loved it! I hate the fact that whoever wrote this article had to stoop down so low as to draw Dora pregnant, with a tattoo, a beer and a cigarette. That’s horrible and I agree it is because she is hispanic, if it were Kai-lan, I bet this wouldn’t have happened.

Ju March 19, 2009, 7:36 PM

Do you really think they’ll stop all the “Toddler Dora” episodes just because there’s one for an older crowd?They never said they were doing away with the younger Dora, just that there was one for girls to follow once they were older. Though I think they should have introduced her as a cousin or something.

tamara March 19, 2009, 8:01 PM

leave dora the way she is changing her will only give younger children ideas that will not be good for my daughter who is only in K4 and she dont need any ideas in her head

Bukika Holmes March 19, 2009, 11:51 PM

I think she looks cute. She is not dressed inappropriately. Barbie has worn worse and have gotten away with it. Drawing her with a welfare check, smoking and drinking was uncalled for. Unlike Barbie, she does not have a man next to her. Some people take things too far.

maeby March 20, 2009, 9:20 AM

that is completely racist and offensive.

Eva March 20, 2009, 9:21 AM

First of all most of you are looking way too far into the references and comparisons to barbie….Its just saying that why change whats not broken look at the rugrats they did fine for almost 15 years or something they become big kids and poof theyre no more. The joke is about Dora getting pregnant not Barbie and the article says how would she support herself if she were to get pregnant hence welfare having nothing to do with her race…WTH

K March 20, 2009, 1:06 PM

this is outragous. simply racist and ridiculous in every single way imaginable.

you ppl that write this crap need to find better hobbies to occupy your time

Anonymous March 20, 2009, 4:00 PM

WOW! How a change to a character can be turned into something so offensive and racist.

Hilary March 21, 2009, 12:37 AM

I love how anything “teenage” nowadays is automatically about sex/pregnancy, alcohol or anything like that. What about teenage Dora that studies in high school, volunteers in her community, plays on sports teams or sings in the choir, or learns to be a responsible driver? My nieces and nephews adore Diego and Dora, and it’s nice to know that they’ll still be able to enjoy them as they grow up. I’d rather they watch Dora the tween wearing leggings than the Bratz dolls wearing tube tops and mini skirts

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 10:05 AM

does anyone honestly think they’d make dora pregnant? no.