Dora the Knocked Up Teen Explorer

Dora has recently gone through an extreme makeover from kid to tween. Are her teen years far behind?

dora-little.jpg
It happened to Barbie when she got mid-life tramp stamp at 50. And now Dora the Explorer has gone through her own transformation from kid to tween. Some moms have voiced disapproval. Watch out. It might not stop there. What if Nickelodeon rolls out an even older teenage Dora? As we all know the teen years can be rocky. Especially if you're gallivanting all over the world with a monkey who doesn't wear pants.

And then what would happen if Dora got pregnant? According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, teen pregnancy is on the rise. You don't have to look any further than Jaimie-Lynn Spears or Bristol Palin for evidence of the Juno Effect. But how on earth would Dora support herself? Don't ask Diego for help. He probably wouldn't be the baby daddy anyway since they're cousins. That leaves Tico, Benny, the Map or Swiper. Honestly, would you trust your daughter alone with that sneaky fox? "Swiper, 'no' means no!!"

Could this possibly be Dora of the future? Gosh, we hope not.
dora-the-explorer.jpg

See Also:

next: Sex and the Single Mom
Kelly March 21, 2009, 4:15 PM

Obviously, I’m a horrible person with a horrible sense of humor…but I saw the fact that this was meant to be funny. Yes, offensive if you want it to be so, but then again just about anyting is offensive if you want to make it that way.

Worldwalker March 21, 2009, 9:25 PM

I have to agree that there are bigoted and disturbing overtones to the “teen Dora” picture. The implication, intended or not, is that the it is impossible for a Hispanic girl, even one as squeaky-clean as Dora, not to become a welfare-collecting, smoking, drinking teen mother. No, it’s not funny. It’s not clever. It’s just offensive, and no, I’m not Hispanic, so don’t even start with that.

disgusted March 21, 2009, 11:49 PM

Whoever wrote this article and drew that picture needs to get is/her head examined. There’s nothing wrong with an older, tween Dora. She’s appropriate and would probably be a great role model character based on her toddler show. Shame on you. You’re part of what’s wrong with this world.

kk March 22, 2009, 6:16 PM

I hate dora she’s wayy lame.BOOO DORA STINKS!!!!

meghan March 22, 2009, 6:21 PM

You guys are crazy. This is nickalodean. shes animated————-how would she get preggo

Delilah March 23, 2009, 3:39 PM

My children enjoy Dora the Explorer. So I do believe they will enjoy her as a tween. On second thought who ever had the time to draw her out as a pregnant smoker on Welfare does not have anything better to do than act stupidly. I am hispanic and proud to say I DO NOT live on Welfare!!!! Some of us hispanics do want to better our lives. This was very offensive and extremely inappropriate.

sam March 23, 2009, 7:12 PM

ok this is totally messed up!!!!!!!!!! >:Z there is no reason to make our fav cartoon characters grow up :I

Teresa Soles March 23, 2009, 8:28 PM

My daughter likes the idea of Dora as a tween, but lets stop there and not make her holder. When she heard Dora was a tween she instantly started brainstorming the adventures Dora could do as a tween that would be different from toddler Dora. She also though more Spanish in the tween version would be great.
-Teresa

Kim March 24, 2009, 7:32 PM

This is not right you people are over reacting she looks beautiful. Her clothes are appropiate for her age. what is the diffrence between Dora growing up and pebbles from the flintstones; no one quetioned when she did it. I really dont think it is right it was ok for others characters like pebbles to grow but Dora has to stay a child.

Kim March 24, 2009, 7:32 PM

Anonymous March 24, 2009, 10:43 PM

I really think that its great that Dora
is growing up! they want to make a teen
Dora because when girls hit the age of
seven or eight they don’t like dora
anymore.And they’re right I’m nine
and in my younger years I LOVED Dora
and right now I really want to get the teen Dora!And those of you who don’t
like the idea of this I’TS OKAY!Dora will still be Dora and besides little girls who like Dora will grow up and like the teen Dora even more! EVERYONE HAS TO GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carry March 25, 2009, 2:22 AM

maybe a teen Dora could be a good example for children and make mature choices, not all teens get knocked up, I didn’t.

cheyenne  March 25, 2009, 11:35 AM

i think the new dora is awesome i mean im 14 years old and i still love dora and the teenage dore is fine i want to see a new side of the loveing cartoon i mean the rugrats grew up and no body made a big deal out of that and that became a show so if the new teen dora has her own show then that great i mean i think that they should still play the dora show they have now because i love it but they didnt have to make a big deal about her being a teen and saying she going to be pregnet that was just a little over the top but i think dora looks great both ways

Enrique Perez March 25, 2009, 9:51 PM

isnt it wierd how she has anime eyes but she is still mexican…..those 2 things dont blend…….so jacked up how they put the cigarette and made her look like Benny from George Lopez (show)

ah March 25, 2009, 10:23 PM

I think this article was hilariously funny. If you don’t like the media portrayal, you have ultimate power — don’t watch the boob tube — we don’t.

C.J.  March 26, 2009, 8:41 AM

I can not believe this…and this example is the reason why ignorance is existing as of now……wow you are displaying your fear of change and took it to extreme…..there’s alot of issues that you can try to advocate that is harmful towards children and their future. This is blog or argument is stupid…this a cartoon for kids…sheesh….

-amanda March 28, 2009, 12:10 AM

I think you are just racist and too bored with your own life that you have to find crap to complain about. I think the new dora is cute and that DOES NOT look like skanky cothes or anything. why would you assume that she will get pregnant, do you honestly think 10 yr old girls will be wondering about that. and the welfare picture was too far!

Vicky March 29, 2009, 12:15 AM

Get over it she is not sexulized.You people are overreacting

Dakota March 29, 2009, 2:05 AM

dora has not changed she is still dora your children wont stay the same age

Probitas March 29, 2009, 10:19 AM

Adults - funny bunch.

There is a book I have used in my classes for years, The Undergound Guide to Teenage Sexuality, and in Spanish, La guía esencial sobre sexualidad adolescente, and we have enjoyed lower rates of teen pregnancy and STDs than other lower income, multi-ethnic communities. How about one DORA holding a good sex education book?