Dora the Tween Explorer ... Revealed!

Last month, we told you about Dora the Explorer's extreme makeover. She's now a tweenager, goes to middle school, and has moved to the big city. Here's a sneak peek of her new look.

Dora the explorer

Gina Sirard, vice president of marketing for Mattel, says: "Girls really identify with Dora and we knew that girls would love to have their friend Dora grow up with them, and experience the new things that they were going through themselves."

As a tween, Dora has moved to the big city, attends middle school and has a whole new fashionable look. She will also have a rich online world, a la Webkinz, in which girls can explore, play games, customize, and solve mysteries with Dora and her new friends.

Here's a sneak peek of Dora's new look. What do you think?

Are they seriously making Dora a TWEEN?! Sound off!

See Also:

next: It's a Jungle Down There
Tanya March 18, 2009, 6:37 AM

She looks better, and yes, she is a great example to tweens, instead of seeing your kid’s favorite cartoon character in slutty clothes, Dora’s redesign really showed much decency for todays tweens

Cynthia March 18, 2009, 12:35 PM

I hate this idea so much. WHY does Dora have to grow up? Why take a concept that’s not broken and try to “fix” it. Who thought this was a good idea? Some Nickelodeon executive who’s a man with no children? Grrrr.
I’m stickin’ with Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo.

Amber March 18, 2009, 12:39 PM

Don’t they know that kids in middle school dont watch Dora? So why does she need to grow up?

amanda March 18, 2009, 12:58 PM

i don’t think it’s a bad idea…my kids watched dora when they were little and loved it but are at the inbetween stage right now where they’re too old for it but not old enough for the older kids shows…i’m sure they’d love tween dora because it’s not so ‘babyish’ but not too old for them to understand.

Uly March 18, 2009, 12:58 PM

So that kids in middle school *will* watch Dora, Amber.

Stephanie March 18, 2009, 1:37 PM

THE NEW DORA IS CUTE~I hope they do make her and don’t listen to all the silly controversy. My daughter who is 8 used to like Dora but now feels to grown up to like her or admit that she still does. We had the talking Dora and boots the monkey dolls for her when she was younger and the dora playhouse. If she likes this one I will get it for her~it is cute EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING gets older/grows up. Barbie had skipper. I like the new doll and I hope that they make new cartoons that my daughter will watch.

Mandy March 18, 2009, 1:38 PM

What about the next generation of little ones that could have been taught by the original Dora, all the classic cartoons never grew up and yet they are classics generation after generation. I think this may be the downfall of Dora’s populairty in the end. What happens when the tweens are 18 is there going to be an 18 year old Dora sitcom?

birdsfly March 18, 2009, 1:58 PM

i think people are missing that this is only for a doll, not a new show and even if they did launch a show they wouldn’t get rid of the several hundred (thousand?) episodes of the old show.

Gail Cooke March 18, 2009, 2:44 PM

I think that it’s really cute. Awesome Job!!

Christy March 19, 2009, 1:00 AM

It’s amazing how worked up people have gotten over this. The original Dora isn’t going anywhere, her show and doll and everything else will remain.

And the new Dora will be wholesome, solving mysteries with her new friends, that concern the environment and such. She won’t be a boy-crazy, appearence obsessed, shopaholic like so many people fear.

nihaya March 19, 2009, 2:38 AM

i think its good for our growing kids but for the younger is not because our younger kids will start searching for the new dora which is not good for there ages so it should be agood study for that.
nihay

Robin Barrett March 19, 2009, 6:09 PM

Yuck………..she looks like she is 25 and is she wearing lipstick? did she have a nose, chin and lip job………..Pullease……..

Rob March 20, 2009, 12:07 AM

She looks fine I think its good for her to get older and its not for a show its a doll for Dora Interactive where kids can go online and solve mysteries with and change her clothes and stuff

TNMom March 20, 2009, 8:33 AM

I think she looks fine. I would much rather my daughter play with Tween Dora that those trashy looking Bratz dolls!!

Claudia March 20, 2009, 2:47 PM

I think this change is great! my daughter grew up with Dora and lost interest now that she is a tweenie herself so I belive this will bring back that interest in Dora and her adventures! Kudos Mattel!

a girl wit a hedgy hog March 21, 2009, 10:46 AM

make dora have a pet hedgehog instead of boots

kelly March 21, 2009, 11:35 AM

i think she looks so much better she used 2 b sooo ugly i dont know y u guysz r complaining

kelly March 21, 2009, 11:44 AM

also they are not slutty clothes she growin up like everything else and if u guys want to complain the old dora’s stomach used 2 pop out what little kid should wear that?? her new clothes don’t show that!!!

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 12:52 PM

i think she is awesome! Very pretty and neat. The way us mom’s want our tween’s to look. Thank you for the example!

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 12:54 PM