Dora the Tween Explorer ... Revealed!

Last month, we told you about Dora the Explorer's extreme makeover. She's now a tweenager, goes to middle school, and has moved to the big city. Here's a sneak peek of her new look.

Dora the explorer

Gina Sirard, vice president of marketing for Mattel, says: "Girls really identify with Dora and we knew that girls would love to have their friend Dora grow up with them, and experience the new things that they were going through themselves."

As a tween, Dora has moved to the big city, attends middle school and has a whole new fashionable look. She will also have a rich online world, a la Webkinz, in which girls can explore, play games, customize, and solve mysteries with Dora and her new friends.

Here's a sneak peek of Dora's new look. What do you think?

Are they seriously making Dora a TWEEN?! Sound off!

See Also:

next: It's a Jungle Down There
Anonymous March 21, 2009, 12:56 PM

i think she is awesome! Very pretty and neat. The way us mom’s want our tween’s to look. Thank you for the example!

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 1:00 PM

Charlie March 22, 2009, 2:58 AM

i dont think its a big deal… its a doll… she looks fine… not slutty…. when u was grownin up u wished that some of the characters u watched grew with you.. i know i did.. if u say u havent your lying…i think its a great idea….

nateli March 22, 2009, 11:53 AM

i think this is a great idea cause i am a teen myself and i would watch it.
SHE LOOKS REALLY CUITE.

Kenzie March 22, 2009, 4:37 PM

Y is everyone getting mad….there isnt going to be any replacements.In my opinion I like this one better because old dora has her belly sticking out!!!Who would want there kid to look like that???I am only 9 and I still watch Dora and I know my mom wouldnt let me go out in public with my stomach hanging out.I know my mom would let me dress like knew Dora…So you should let your child also…But just remember we are not replacing Dora!!!

jenna March 22, 2009, 4:37 PM

ok i think doras new look is so much better.The old dora used 2 have her stomach pop out and parents arnt complaining about that.Its a nice little outfit she has on and nice long hair.Why are parents comlaining about all this.she needs 2 grow up she has had that old look for a long time.and if kids do start wearing this outdfit or want to o well its not bad but again thats my opionion!!!!

jenna March 22, 2009, 8:40 PM

i think the new dora looks great!!!!!

Amy March 23, 2009, 12:08 AM

I’m bummed. My son, who is 2 1/2 loves Dora. I don’t think ‘tween Dora will be a show that will relate to the audience she’s always related too … the toddlers and preschoolers. I’ll be very sad if we have to lose this show (and are forced to just watch on dvd).

Serita March 23, 2009, 9:56 AM

I don’t have kids, but I was one not too very long ago, but before Dora. I see nothing wrong with Dora evolving. The kids that watch her show are growing up and most likely growing out of her, so why can’t their bilingual friend that they’ve watched for as long as they can remember grow up with them so they can still enjoy adventuring with her? If they do make her interactive, then it’s a bonus. Kids are learning how to use computers much earlier in life these days, and to expose them to positive internet experiences where they can have fun and learn at the same time is invaluable. And I have to agree with what TNMom said, I’d much rather have my children play with a tween Dora doll as opposed to those nasty Bratz dolls. And people thought Barbie’s unrealistic body proportions were bad…

Anonymous March 23, 2009, 1:05 PM

I think this is crap!! Dora isn’t for the tweens! Dora is for little girls, say 2-5. After age 5, girls move on to Hannah, or HSM, etc. Keep Dora the way she is!!

Parent March 24, 2009, 6:04 PM

I disagree with the enraged parents. This is what typical, happy-go-lucky tween looks like. But I have one question, is this TV show going to fit the recommendatons for preschoolers?

anonymous March 25, 2009, 9:18 AM

I think it is great. My daughter loves Dora and she loves the new look. Dora looks more up to date and my daughter will relate to her better. She has always been a positive role model for kids and just because her hair grew and she has up to date clothes doesn’t make her bad. We are really excited about the new look

lisa March 25, 2009, 12:55 PM

i dont see wat the bigg deal is about it she looks okay i mean evry body gots to grow up some time

peaches March 26, 2009, 12:30 PM

just when my daugther ms pooh throught she was getting to big for dora now dora is growing with her good for dora

Kid March 26, 2009, 5:10 PM

OMG, DORA LOOKS LIKE SHE’S IN 3RD GRADE.. But she doesn’t have a Waterlemon head! (Atleast She doesn’t have a waterlemon head XD

user50tarheel March 27, 2009, 6:38 PM

I feel as if this is a dream no one in middle school or 5th graders watch this show also this show was met for todlers so it should stay that way.

Jainey March 28, 2009, 12:24 PM

I’m a kid, and I think u should get a kids upinuion instead of the parents upinuion, because THEY aren’t the ones who are watching it, US KIDS are. So anyway, I LOVE the new Dora look any parent who doesn’t should look at the old Dora and find her BELLY stciking out! What parent wants to have their say, 2 year old looknig like that?!?!?!

Jake March 28, 2009, 12:31 PM

It gave me the shivers when I saw Dora like that but I think it’s pretty cool. My sister loves Dora and she might love Dora even more if she saw her new look. I wonder if Boots is going to get older?

Nichole March 28, 2009, 1:15 PM

I think that this is so stupid. I mean im 13 and a dont watch Dora but there is no point in changeing her. What makes you think that if teenagers dont watch the show now that there going to watch it when the new version comes out?? Teenagers are interested in other shows like Family Guy and MTV..there not interested in Dora (even if she’s all grown up). I dont care what anybody says unless they agree with me and say that the new Dora is stupid!

DOrAfANN March 29, 2009, 8:49 PM

I THINK THAT THIS DORA LOOKS WAAY COOLER THEN THE OTHER ONE AND IM IN MIDDLE SCHOOL I GREW UP WATCHING DORA AND WHEN I GREW OLDER I THOUGHT SHE WAS BORING PLAYED OUT OLD! BUT NOW I THINKK PEOPLE WILL START TO LYK HER AND KNO THT DORA GOES THRU THE SAME THINGS THAT THEY GO THRU. BOTTOM LINE DORAZ NEW LUK IZ GREAT
2 THUMZ UP!!