Dr. Phil Steps In, Gets Octomom to Accept Help

Just a week after octomom Nadya Suleman turned up her nose at help raising her 14 kids, Dr. Phil says he's convinced her to take the free help handout.

Nadya Suleman, Dr. Phil

In a press release issued today from the Dr. Phil show, producers say "at the urging of Dr. Phil," Suleman has agreed to allow the non-profit group Angels in Waiting to help her care for her 14 children. In addition, TMZ is reporting that Suleman's father Ed Doud has nearly finalized the purchase of a new home for the family in Orange County, CA. The house is 2,600 square feet, and has a large fenced-in backyard and a two-car garage. The listed price for the beige and red-tiled home, built in 1978, is $564,900.

Last month, attorney Gloria Allred, working with the founder of Angels in Waiting Linda Conforti West, made the initial offer of help to Suleman. After a deadline passed, Allred announced the offer was no longer valid. Now -- thanks to Dr. Phil -- that offer is back on.

West says Angels in Waiting's volunteer nurses, skilled in neonatal intensive care, will be providing around-the-clock care to the octuplets, as well as providing psychological and physical therapy to help enhance all of Suleman's children's development and well-being. The care will begin once the infants are released from the hospital, and their care "will be reevaluated every six months."

Dr. Phil says, "From the beginning, my interest in this story has been guided by my concern for these children. Nadya realized that she had to make every effort to care for the octuplets as well as the six children at home in a way that proved that she understood the enormity and complexity of the task ahead."

Angels in Waiting was founded in 2005 to "meet the needs of the most vulnerable population of America's foster children, the forgotten medically fragile preemies, infants and children." Their mission is to move medically fragile foster care infants and young children into private residences under the care of Registered and Licensed Vocational nurses as their foster parents.

Allred claims Angels in Waiting will not use taxpayer funds, but is dependent on donations from the public.

Did Nadya make the right decision?

next: Maytag Recalling 1.6 Million Refrigerators
ocbody.com doc March 9, 2009, 8:05 PM

What a joke. He helped her right into her new house. Talk about staged. That was likely her plan the whole time.

Mama March 9, 2009, 8:31 PM

I cannot help but notice that the new house is legally in her fathers name, that way she can claim poverty to get all the med bills paid and reenlist her lazy self back on the welfare roles as soon as the bucks run out…no asset problems if she does not own anything.

TRo March 9, 2009, 8:45 PM

Mama — I thought the same thing (in addition to her filing for Section 8 and paying her dad rent on a house he purchased using donations and tabloid $$ that is also bypassing her soon to be bankrupt mother…. this whole family is a pack of theives!) It really is time for Welfare Reform in this country. Enough is enough!

P.S. I’ve always hated Dr. Phil… what a pompous jerk!

aerialla March 9, 2009, 9:58 PM

At least now the proper authorities can see how worthless she is as a mother. Just wait she’s going to use the Angels nursing as glorified babysitting and will have little to no interaction with her children just as she has now.

Shame on you Dr. Phil for letting this woman get away with more atrocities against these innocent lives. You should have been fighting for the safe homes for these children away from their psycho selfish mother.

Susan Oliver March 9, 2009, 11:10 PM

The only reason she agreed to this was because the babies were not going to be released to her. No babies-no bucks. She makes my skin crawl. Imagine when the neighborhood folks see the moving van pull in and see the the circus emerge.I am only worried about the out of control older kids biting, smacking and hitting the babies like they do to her. She is one of the worst media whores I have ever witnessed. She should have Tatiana move in with her.

Debra March 10, 2009, 12:10 AM

I truely dislike what this women has done; I hate what she has done too her babies [all 14 of them]…Whatever her game plan is “NOW OR LATER” She need to be watch; For the children sake. PLEASE EVERYONE REMEBER THE CHILDREN!!My GOD! Your GOD will watch over this MOTHER and her CHILDREN. It is what it is at this point in time.Please HELP; YOU WILL GET YOUR BLESSING DOWN THE ROAD….

teri March 10, 2009, 6:34 AM

All the children need to be taken away and put with real families. The mother should be locked up in a mental institution ASAP. If the hospital releases those kids to her, it will be a huge mistake.

lynne March 10, 2009, 7:04 AM

she didn,t want angels in waiting to start with because they would be able to monitor the money and expect spending to be on the kids. this witch only had these kids to make cash for all her surgeries and manicures and things for herself. she doesn,t even take care of the first 6, her mother is raising them. that mouth surgery is tragic. she looks like the joker now, and she is a big joke.

Karen March 10, 2009, 11:03 AM

“Their mission is to move medically fragile foster care infants and young children into private residences under the care of Registered and Licensed Vocational nurses as their foster parents.” Does this mean the babies will NOT be living “at home” with Nadya and the other six children until they are well enough for her to handle on her own? Sounds good to me!

Gigohead  March 10, 2009, 1:05 PM

This is only a bandage solution for now. What happens in a few years? She will have to rear her kids on her own. The nurses will need to leave once the kids are grown. It’s going to be havoc. Poor kids!

Sharon March 10, 2009, 4:31 PM

I have always had an issue with people trying to capitalize off of their children through means such as this. The fact that there are so many couples out there that can not conceive on there own for whatever reason and has to put out thousands towards fertility clinics just to see if that procedure actually worked and chances are it didnt causes me to think that something is absolutely wrong with this whole fertilization clinic thing with Suleman. How in the world did she come up with the money for that type of procedure?? I really feel as if the doctors at the clinics were very irresponsible to allow her to become pregnant this way. People have to be mature about this and take blame for there mistakes and hopefully there will be some reform in the way these clinics run their business. Not to mention if you do not have the means of financially taking care of children one should not expect for the taxpayers to take care of your children or shall I say your responsibilty and clearly this definitely is the case for this family. Taxpayers are always going to have to pay for this since she will no doubtly claim welfare as she has done before. Sad isnt it.

Dorothy March 10, 2009, 7:01 PM

How many breast does a woman have.That should tell you that 2 legged split is not normal.If she was fighting a Bear I would Help the Bear.She had a motive to her madness from the beginning. And further more,I will take donations I want my Basement done This message is for Dr.Phil I didn’t think he would have fallen for a scam like that

Peggy Gorman March 10, 2009, 8:08 PM

I watched her on Dr. Phil today and what an ungrateful person. She never said that she was so indebted to Angels in Waiting.I really don’t understand that she has good money in the bank and still getting food stamps??
I applied for food stamps when my kids were younger and was told I was .50 cents over on my gross pay . It upsets me so much that she is just out for money, a house and she is getting it. What is wrong with our society for allowing this to happen and be rewarded. So many kids are needing help,so many families needing a home and she gets a 569,000.00 house for free.If that could of been broken down so maybe 5 families could have a home.
I believe in helping many not just one.

Anne March 10, 2009, 10:30 PM

How long will it take before she gets piffed and fires the “angels?” How long will it be before one of the older kids accidentally (or otherwise) drops one of the infants? They are going to be bigtime jealous of all the attention those babies will get. The whole thing scares me to death. Dr Phil, you have met your match. It remains to be seen which of you is the biggest media wh@re.

Jodie March 10, 2009, 11:51 PM

The last I read, Angels-in-Waiting has NOT agreed to help with her children.

Also,the house and the cash donations have been put in her fathers name. That way, the state can NOT put liens on the property to pay the huge hospital bills,
the mortgage company can not go after her mother for the forclosed home, and Octo-Rilla can still get her food stamps,
SSI, disability, and perhaps even AFDC. It would not surprise me if she claims to pay her father rent, so she can get an even larger food stamp allowance.Isn’t welfare fraud great? She sure knows how to milk the system.

This woman and her family sicken me.
Way to go, being rewarded for utter irresponsibility!

Anon March 11, 2009, 12:48 AM

Hey, it sounds like there will be a support system for these children, because like it or not, they’re here, they’re not going anywhere, and someone needs to care for them. And since it’s pretty obvious their mom is nuts, I’m glad someone is caring for them. I wish those kids the best, none of this is their fault and they’re going to need all the help THEY - not HER - can get.

TAMARA2 March 11, 2009, 12:44 PM

go back to iraq and take oprah and dr. phil with ya

gottabeme March 11, 2009, 6:39 PM

“Extra” has learned that Angels in Waiting, the charity offering to give Octomom Nadya Suleman $135,000, is having financial issues!

The charity graciously offered care for the octuplets that they estimated will cost $135K per month, but an RRF-1 form obtained by “Extra” reveals that Angels in Waiting doesn’t have anywhere that kind of dough.

According to the form from California’s Office of the Attorney General, the charity didn’t have any assets or revenue at all in 2006. In 2007, their revenue hit $100, but they still had zero assets. In 2008, the charity was up to $5,000 in revenue and only $600 in assets. The form was filed on February 26, 2009.

Looks like the charity might not last long, if this is true they have enough cash for 32 days

Opposed March 12, 2009, 7:45 AM

I am angered with the whole ordeal-I shut my TV off when there’s anything about this story-I feel that by listening to it only buys into her manipulation of people-I think the doctor who agreed to go along with her scheme should pay child support on all 8 babies for the next 18 years-not us the taxpayer-the doctor must have thought it also was a wonderful idea, despite the Grandmother’s pleas to him not to ever implant her again-I think she is trying to be Angelina Joile-the whole situation is unbelievable-the kids need to be removed now before they fall through the cracks of the system-my daughter paid thousands out of pocket to have inVitro done-but only after she lost 2 preganies did her doctors conclude inVitro was her only answer-all other methods had been exhausted this was a 2.5 year process before this conclusion was made -then she and her husband were sent to talk to a psychologist about the loss of previous pregnacies and to see if they were ready for all that comes with the inVitro process, it didn’t happen in one office visit-can you tell I’m so angered, her master manipultion tactics she uses her kids to get what she wants-in my opinion she’s more than mentally unstable

lilangel March 12, 2009, 9:36 PM

Hello world, wake up…Anybody remember the lady who had like 6-8 kids years ago. How did people react then? Companies and regular people donated truckloads of diapers, formula, and other baby things, she was given a new house, nannies lined up to help. Did anyone criticize her? NO everyone was so happy and wanted to help. So why doesn’t anyone want to help this woman, especially if what she really wants to to be a mom and take care of her kids.
How can one mom criticize another for wanting to be a mom? People criticized me for having a baby so soon after getting married and with a husband in school, they said I couldn’t afford it, I wasn’t ready and loads of other things. But it was the best decision I have ever made and would never change. it.