Finally! A Birthing Dress!

You no longer have to give birth in an ugly hospital gown. Now you can give birth in an adorable dress!

a_birthing_dress_win_it.jpg

Some of the moms here chuckled when they heard about the first "birthing dress," but let's face it -- the fluorescent lighting of a hospital isn't the most flattering, so why not wear something to make you feel cute while performing the most important duty of your life?

When pregnant with her first child, creator Daniela Corte was preparing her overnight bag for the hospital and found herself looking for something that would make her feel beautiful on her big day. She grapped a piece of soft fabric, draped it over her belly, started cutting away, and, voila, "Dar-a-luz" was born.

The gown is hospital-friendly and features ties in the back for easy access. It retails for $98, but you can win one here!

next: Mom of Special Needs Child Sounds Off
kristen March 21, 2009, 8:52 AM

I wish I would have had this while giving birth to each of my daughters. It’s cute and definately functional. It also probably fits much nicer than a hospital gown.

maeby March 21, 2009, 9:26 AM

a cute low cut dress would have been the last thing on my mind while giving birth. Besides, the straps would totally fall down and be uncomfortable while squirming around trying to get into a good position to push.

Joy March 21, 2009, 10:51 AM

Um, ya ther’re cute. But ther’re going to end up disgusting. I couldn’t even keep the socks I wore when I gave birth. Also, I ended up so hot and sweaty I chose to strip down to the sports bra I was wearing. So I’m not too sure if this is a good idea or not. I think a lot of first time mom’s might bite the marketing bullet and buy them but I doubt any one else would. Besides, that $98 bucks would sure buy a lot of diapers. Or maybe that’s just my own opinion.

Krystine March 21, 2009, 1:26 PM

I really can’t see spending 100 bucks on something that’s just going to get bloody and ruined. I agree it’s cute, but no one’s checking out your fashion statement while you’re giving birth. All eyes are down there, not up here. I agree with Joy, babies are expensive, I’d rather keep my money to spend on them.

susanhaywardphotography.typepad.com March 21, 2009, 1:38 PM

I just wanted to get my babies OUT OF MY BODY. Didn’t care if I was naked to do it. Besides, when it looked like my babies were on their way there wasn’t time to get all dolled up. It’s not like the kid will care what you’re wearing. I also found that a good nap afterwards felt better than a cute dress.

Kimberly March 21, 2009, 3:59 PM

I was so hot and sweaty after having my babe I changed my hospital gown like 6 times that day! (No way I’d spend $600 to be lovely on birth-day!) I do think this dress is cute, but I wouldn’t buy one… Besides, I think I was lovely with new mama glow!

pawsalmighty March 21, 2009, 6:59 PM

oh man, I barely remember what I was wearing, and honestly it wasn’t much and I really didn’t care. this is ridiculous. the labor room isn’t a fashion show. if you are not comfortable being seen at your worst, than don’t invite anyone in lol

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 8:56 PM

Is this not the most narcissistic thing you have ever heard? This is ridiculous.

Buffie March 21, 2009, 9:25 PM

This seems like a complete waste of money to me. Believe me, I was glad to use the hospital’s gown. Why ruin my own clothes? Besides, looking pretty really wasn’t the priority when I was giving birth, getting that baby OUT was the priority!

halley March 22, 2009, 1:38 AM

Are you kidding me? A birthing dress that’s supposed to make you look cute? Who in the hell is trying to look cute when in labor????

Vita David March 22, 2009, 9:11 AM

I guess some people are so self concious about how they look everywhere,,,even in front of your OB/GYN your husband/labor partner and nurses???—-give me a break!!!—just have a safe delivery for mother and child and just put the hospital gown on!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous March 22, 2009, 11:35 AM

They must have copied Tori Spelling.

Missy March 22, 2009, 6:37 PM

Though I did my nails and had a pedi before the big day…Hospital gowns are just fine! To be honest when the time came I loved my hospital gown and I was proud of the fact that I had it!

aerialla March 22, 2009, 10:23 PM

I wish I would have had one of these with my daughters. I fought with my nurses to let me wear my own nightgowns. I won. Comfort was a big issue for me since I was on bed rest the last few weeks of my pregnancy. I was not comfortable in scratchy hospital gowns. Yeah they might have gotten icky but that’s what washers dryers are for. I’m not a narcissus by any means but I had my sister do my hair while my hubby painted my toes. Heck I even gave birth wearing water proof mascara and lipgloss. Feeling pretty made me feel better and more positive which took away the anxiety for me.

SesshoumarusGirl March 22, 2009, 10:59 PM

Ya, know …these would be easy to make …but in the end you can’t be forced to wear a hosiptal gown, just wear what is comfy to YOU.

ame i. March 23, 2009, 12:45 AM

I’ve only given birth twice (emergency c-section and a VBAC) but I can honestly say I didn’t and couldn’t have given a rat’s behind about what I was wearing at the time.
Feeling pretty and whitty and bright didn’t factor into my birth experiences.
Getting into the OR in time to prevent the death of my first-born daughter (cord wrapped multiple times around her neck, her heart stopped beating, epidural failed seconds before the c-section), seeing the purplish-blue color of my second daughter after the doctor pulled her out with forceps before running her down to NICU were valid concerns.
If feeling pretty is a valid concern of a soon-to-be mother,good for her. I hope that petty concern is the only one she has to deal with.

sara April 14, 2009, 12:10 PM

LOL it is very cute but I feel more comfortable being naked when giving birth.

Rkpczpvd June 23, 2009, 8:57 AM

fPBi1l comment6 ,

buy valium December 1, 2010, 3:16 PM

How do you make your blog site look this good! Email me if you can and share your wisdom. I’d be thankful.

Buy Facebook Fans December 9, 2010, 5:58 PM

I just love studying your weblog! some other great post.