Missing Girl's Dad's Marriage a Legal Tactic?

Ron Cummings is set to tie the knot with his 17-year-old girlfriend. Why now?

cummings.jpg
Although his daughter has been missing for a month, the father of Haleigh Cummings will marry his 17-year-old girlfriend today after proposing to her just days ago.

Ronald Cummings and Misty Croslin applied for licenses earlier this week and with the permission of underage Croslin's parents.  Speculations abound that the nuptials could be driven by a desire to exercise a spousal privilege that would bar the couple from testifying against each other court.

Attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, believes if the couple is marrying to exercise that privilege they're misguided, "It shows that they are not necessary educated in the law. People have a misconception that they do not have to testify against their spouse but there are many, many intricacies."

One such intricacy in the convoluted spousal privilege law is that is does not apply to a crime involving a child.

Another possible reason for the quick nuptials, says Sax, is Croslin's age. Cummings might be under scrutiny for cohabitation with an underage woman. "It certainly would look better if he is trying to maintain custody of Haleigh's younger brother, Junior."

In the meantime, the search for Haleigh continues. She has blond hair and brown eyes and is 3' tall. Please call the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at 386-329-0800 if you have any information regarding Haleigh Cummings.

next: An Emotionless Casey Anthony Appears in Court
margaret March 18, 2009, 10:08 AM

misty know what happen to heleigh.lets all pray for heleigh.each day at 3 oclock

margaret March 18, 2009, 2:52 PM

misty know more then she telling us

MARGARET March 19, 2009, 11:31 AM

If misty don:t know what to Heleigh her Dad does.and I would like to know why the dad is not at work. if you don:t work you don;t eat

MARGARET March 19, 2009, 11:34 AM

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 4:49 PM

He did’nt marry her to keep from having to testify aganist each other that law does’nt affect Misty and Ron this happened before they were married.He married her to keep her quiet.

lisa March 19, 2009, 10:25 PM

When Ronald and Misty got married i said “smart move”-my friend said why? I said because Crystal Sheffield (bio mom) is trying to regain custody. He is trying to make himself look more stable. Also, he is with and having sex with an underage girl. He could be in alot of trouble for this. He has abuser written all over him. Even degrading Misty verbally during the 911 call. FYI-good mothers are losing custody of their children to their abusers at an alarming rate! i believe the statistic is -75% of abusive men who challenge custody receive custody. So many children are in custody of abusive fathers who continue to neglect and abuse them . The courts support this and should be held accountable. ! Haleigh is a casualty of the disfuntional court system!

Judy March 22, 2009, 4:31 PM

Looking out the back door of the home there is a building has anyone checked that place for Heleigh. Dig around in there I first seen the place I had a feeling come over me that Heleigh could be there. I don’t think that Misty was home when Heleigh was taken she got home just before Ron got home from work and had to think up a story real fast Heleigh was gone. She left the door unlocked so that she could get back in,and who took Heleigh saw her leave and got Heleigh Ron was stupid to marry someone that let his little girl get took.Misty knows what happened and I will always beleive that. I live in El Paso Texas and have never been to Florida I have been keeping up with the Caylee and Heleigh cases. Both are a shame.Misty is keeping a secret.
Judy, Texas

william March 26, 2009, 9:20 PM

go after misty she know

helen April 25, 2009, 5:41 AM

I too think Misty knows something, One of her interveiws she said the words ( I loved (that) little girl like she was my own) disconnecting her self from something.
But is it the father she is trying to protect? Not sure ! I do know there is something amissed here.
Maybe Misty thinks she saw some one but is questioning her own mind out of love for Ron . I wondering if she was put under hypnois she could recall the events of that night.

Rugzjgcy June 28, 2009, 6:33 PM

aN4frx comment1 ,

Uhslwnhs June 30, 2009, 7:28 AM

JheG3h comment5 ,

Arlo September 5, 2009, 5:40 AM

Excuse me. Never fear the want of business. A man who qualifies himself well for his calling, never fails of employment.
I am from Equatorial and now study English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Guide to online share trading: only, the sec has used the time of national conflicts and found that net financial flow would also allow a investment’s such ecns.”

Waiting for a reply :P, Arlo.

Chico September 9, 2009, 11:34 PM

Sorry. He attacked everything in life with a mix of extrordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
I am from England and also now am reading in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “This was my inefficient head invoicing the territories $10, a being sex in the various system of the waldorf astoria.”

Thank you very much 8). Chico.

How To Make Your Skin Darker November 25, 2010, 1:48 AM

The solution is to gradually become free of societal rewards and learn how to substitute for them rewards that are under one’s own powers. This is not to say that we should abandon every goal endorsed by society; rather, it means that, in addition to or instead of the goals others use to bribe us with, we develop a set of our own.

Hammock Hooks November 30, 2010, 5:16 PM

jtgwxcy - Thank you, fmddldt.

Inflatable Water Slide Rentals In Maryland December 11, 2010, 7:17 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Gift Wrapping Ideas For Kids Gifts December 11, 2010, 12:20 PM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

Easy Vegetarian Recipes For Dinner January 6, 2011, 2:52 PM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

shades of blonde hair colors January 15, 2011, 12:41 AM

Arch Window Treatments January 16, 2011, 3:45 PM

Hey got nothing original in this comment, so all i am going to say that your site is cool, too bad that I can’t come up with something original Thanks again for putting this online. I unquestionably liked every bit of it.