Misty Cummings' Haleigh Story Shaky

Misty Cummings has not been ruled out as a suspect in the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings.

misty-cummings.jpg
The story at first seemed tragically straightforward: Misty Crosling awoke in the middle of the night and discovered Haleigh, the daughter of her boyfriend Ron Cummings, was missing. After trying to find little Haleigh, she called 911.

That was over a month ago and as the story continues to unfold, there are many inconsistencies in Misty's story. From what Haleigh was wearing to the order of events that fateful night, Misty can't seem to keep her story straight. Although 17-year-old Misty is now a married woman -- tying the knot with Haleigh's father last week -- she is still barely an adult and many attribute her ever-changing time line to nervousness and immaturity. Whatever the reasons, the question has become: was Misty even home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance?

Misty told authorities that she put both Haleigh and the girl's younger brother to bed at about 8 PM. Then, around 3 AM, she got up to go to the bathroom. That's when she noticed Haleigh was missing. Contradicting this story are tips received by the Putman County Sheriff's Office alleging Misty was not home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance.

Standing in front of the courthouse where she and Cummings obtained their marriage license, Misty told reporters she had passed a polygraph test. "I passed my lie detector test. I was home," said a confident Misty. Weeks earlier, Ron Cummings also told reporters that he and Misty had passed their lie detector tests with "flying colors." But according to attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, it is unlikely the results of her polygraph test would be released until after the investigation had been finalized.

Furthermore, says Sax, the idea that a polygraph is pass or fail is a common misconception. "Misty Cummings might have answered truthfully when asked if she was actually responsible for Haleigh's disappearance or if she killed her, but we don't know what questions were asked," she says.

Do you think Misty Cummings is telling everything she knows about Haleigh's disappearance?

Listen to Misty Cummings' 911 call:

If you have seen Haleigh, or know anything about her disappearance, call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (8477).

next: Breast Pumping in the Bathroom -- Not Cool?
TheT March 18, 2009, 5:38 AM

I’m first to comment? Anyway I smell a rat. Things just don’t seem right with this bunch.

Sunpgh March 18, 2009, 7:00 AM

There are several things that irked me from the beginning. A cousin visited, but she didn’t know his name? She knew him well enough to know he was always in trouble. How can you NOT know your cousin’s name?

Thankfully FL recently passed a law that will not take into consideration marital status in the case of testifying against a spouse in cases like this.

I look at the map of the area and think “wow, here is so much water in the area”. She could be anywhere….

George Maschke March 18, 2009, 7:52 AM

Robin Sax is wrong about polygraphs. They most definitely are pass or fail. And it is not unheard of for polygraph operators to tell examinees the result. To the best of my knowledge, the FBI, which reportedly polygraphed Misty Cummings, has not disputed her claim to have passed.

angela March 18, 2009, 8:24 AM

This is so sad,Look at these kidnappings or what ever they are that have happened lately.You’ve got the crazzy Anthony’s and now these crazzy Cummings!!!!! I did’nt think anything could beat the Anthony’s,now we’ve got a 25 yr old man marring a 17 yr old girl,both of them look strung out half the time.Ron’s little five year old daughter is missing and in the meanwhile he goes and marry’s a child!!!! Misty is gulity and now I believe Ron is,who knows maybe the bio-mom to!!!!! None of them look to stable. Ron has an arrest record a mile long due to durgs and so does the bio-mom.The child bride Misty is’nt the sharpest tool in the shed. She saids the little girl was wearing a pink shirt and then it’s found in the laundry room. The back door is locked,or maybe it was open,Haleigh was in the bed with her,then she was on a toddler mattress beside her.Come on if you have nothing to hide you do not have to lie.It kills me that people like this have children.Ron and Misty know what happened to Haleigh and I feel like this is another little Caylee Anthony story. Please pray for a little boy named William missing in Spartanburg ,SC he went missing last night and has’nt been found.He’s two yr’s old and is Artistic.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 8:32 AM

i hate how he always says “i don’t know, i was at work” don’t think so buddy. he knows something.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 8:59 AM

All I’ve got to say is Guilty!!

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 9:05 AM

I think that maybe Haliegh disappeared BEFORE when they say she disappeared possibly even days before and MAYBE they set this scenario up after the fact to try and cover. Just a thought.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 9:16 AM

How do you determine a timeline after they are in bed? There are witnesses that have stated the grandmother saw Jr. and Haleigh at 7:30 pm. Misty put kids to bed to watch TV at 8 pm, does laundry (blankets),makes bed and then goes to bed her self at 10 pm. Is 10 pm to 3:27am the time in question or is it 7:30pm to 10 pm.
I believe misty is telling the truth but is unable to articulate the events to others. She is young and uneducated, her words have been misconstruded to imply she doesn’t know what happen prior to going to bed her self or she is lying about the events that took place before and after she went to bed.
I want to know if Crystal’s time line has been discussed. She was notified by Ron’s mother at 3:40am of Haleigh’s disappearance. She did not call her dad Johnny Sheffield till 5am. He lives 15 min away. Crystal did not show till mid morning. WHAT? WHY?
I just cant imagine what would prevent or delay a mother that has been told her 5yr old has been taken in the middle of the nigh out of her bed and is gone.

Columbo March 18, 2009, 9:19 AM

yeah…the whole story is too quickly fabricated…either the child was killed or it is a set up for publicity for fame an fortune…the lil girl was seen with a couple in Tn…Rons I was at work wont fly..Mistys I dont know is a joke…the scheme was probably cooked up between the couple and the cousin when he was down…I would expect Haleigh to be dropped off somewhere alone to be picked up, altho im sure ron an company are considering how to drop off the child and collect the reward…

Nina March 18, 2009, 9:19 AM

Angela thank you so much for mentioning little William, I live in Spartanburg SC and we have so many people that have turned out to search for this child please pray for a safe return soon. As far as Haleigh we pray for her as well, GOD knows the truth as to what happened to this child and the truth will be revealed, it just doesn’t add up.

Jared March 18, 2009, 9:32 AM

Well i think they should have waited to get married. I just hope they find who did this ans that she is alive

Angela March 18, 2009, 9:39 AM

Well Anonymous it was proven she was at school that day,but nobody seen her after she got home except for Ron and Misty.I truly believe that both of them did something to this little girl before Ron went to work. I also believe he went to work had Misty called him and then he went home to coach her on the 911 call.She’s 17 and he’s 25,he knew if they did this together he could keep her quiet.I believe he promised to marry her after they carried out this little plan. He had a history of dating teenagers,he can easily brain wash them. I also believe he has a very bad temper. He was on Nancy Grace Monday night and when she asked if the girl’s parents gave Misty permission to marry him he got angry and threw up his hands rolling his eyes.There also has been several other times he’s flew off the handle. You have to look at these families allowing your 17 yr old daughter to marry a 25 yr old man who’s been arrested for durgs numerous times,how could they care about her.I think Ron knew she wanted love so he talked her into going along with him. Maybe in fact it was an accident and he went to far with spanking her and hitting her and he killed her,so to cover it up he planned this kidnapping scheme.They are not the brightest people,so they did’nt think before they made up this story of their’s.From the evidence it shows this had to be an inside job. Nobody but family or really close friends could have known where the children slept and the door had to be propped open.You can’t tell me that somebody came in the night knew where everything was,took time to sneak around and grab a child while they were sleeping 3 feet away from girlfriend,went back through trailer and turned on the kitchen light.No kiddnapper is gonna turn on a kitchen light and know everything about the childs sleeping arrangements.Nobody is gonna know the back door want stay open and bring a brick along with them to hold it open.It’s common sense,they did’nt think out their cover up because they have no education.

Lorim March 18, 2009, 9:40 AM

I don’t think Misty was home that night. While out of the house Haleigh has a medical issue due to her Turner syndrome.

Note: Girls and women with Turner syndrome are at risk for catastrophic aortic dissection and rupture which frequently resulted in death.

Misty returns to find Haleigh dead or near death, perhaps even trying to revive her by using Haleigh’s inhaler but its to late. She panic’s and knows Ron will kill her when he finds out she wasn’t home. She calls her Cousin to help her. He takes the body and disposes of it somewhere between Florida and Tennessee. Misty and the cousin stage the back door to make it look like an intruder.

Misty’s story isn’t consistent because it’s only partially true. Ron hasn’t a clue and thinks a perpetrator took Haleigh.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 9:43 AM

Maybe Misty “spanked” the child and hurt and/or killed her in the process.

tracy  March 18, 2009, 9:46 AM

Something i don’t understand why did a 25 year old marry a 17 year old for in the first place and i think misty knows who has that little girl i think shes just wanting on the reward to go up and then shes going to call who ever has the baby and say the reward money is so AND so amout is that enough money to bring haleigh back in the state or florida or where ever shes is at this makes ma sick because misty keeps changing her story ( hey misty do you change your underwear as much as you change your story ) i think that if ron was not near her she would say what happened but shes scared what ron might to to her if she says where the baby is at

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 9:58 AM

Ron Cummings knows Misty is’nt bright enough to carry this out by herself.I think she wanted police to believe the cousin was involved so she could’nt remember his name so he could’nt be found.That was really stuid and made her look even more guilty,you know her family was going to tell police his name. The cousin checked out and came of it. I don’t believe if the cousin helped her she would have mention him at all.I agree with angela,they both are covering it up.

Angela March 18, 2009, 10:06 AM

Nina I also live in Spartanburg SC,I really hope they find this litte boy soon.He has to be scared to death.

Lisa Smith March 18, 2009, 10:08 AM

I think you are on to something we have seen ron’s temper, now he has up and married a child as well, could that have been wishful thinking the wife can’t testify against the husband sorry that is out the window the crime happened first.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 10:19 AM

I know there is alot of questions about the bio mom but I really don’t believe she had anything to do with it. She had never been inside the home and why would she turn on the kitchen light,so she could be seen. And she would’nt have known to bring a brick to hold open the back door. I think she just wants in the spot light and she’s making up stories.Jr said a man in black took his sister.She’s just a nut case from all the drugs she’s taken and her brain is fried.I’m sure Ron and Misty would have told if she was lying about being inside their home.MAybe she was to upset to call her dad and did’nt think about it untill later.The Police know something,they have quit searching and as we know in the Caylee Anthony story they searched for months.I believe the police are just waiting to put everything together and will have an arrest warrant soon.

Carolina March 18, 2009, 10:33 AM

So sad for this beautiful little girl. The story is a very strange one indeed that Misty is giving….it’s so clear that she is not very bright, which could be why her story is so inconsistent. I do feel that Misty is involved, somehow. It also seems as if this sweet baby were abducted…it MUST have been someone who knew this family. It just does not add up! I know if one of my 4 little girls were missing, getting married would be the last thing on my mind…I know I would be in complete shock! So sad about the missing little boy, too, all of my prayers to finding this child, and Haleigh…Maybe drugs were involved, and Misty had no clue what was going on, or maybe she was not even there. I do not believe she herself hurt this child. I do believe neglect played a big part. I do so hope little Haliegh is found alive…May God be with you little Haleigh, and all of those who love you!!!!