Misty Cummings' Haleigh Story Shaky

Misty Cummings has not been ruled out as a suspect in the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings.

misty-cummings.jpg
The story at first seemed tragically straightforward: Misty Crosling awoke in the middle of the night and discovered Haleigh, the daughter of her boyfriend Ron Cummings, was missing. After trying to find little Haleigh, she called 911.

That was over a month ago and as the story continues to unfold, there are many inconsistencies in Misty's story. From what Haleigh was wearing to the order of events that fateful night, Misty can't seem to keep her story straight. Although 17-year-old Misty is now a married woman -- tying the knot with Haleigh's father last week -- she is still barely an adult and many attribute her ever-changing time line to nervousness and immaturity. Whatever the reasons, the question has become: was Misty even home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance?

Misty told authorities that she put both Haleigh and the girl's younger brother to bed at about 8 PM. Then, around 3 AM, she got up to go to the bathroom. That's when she noticed Haleigh was missing. Contradicting this story are tips received by the Putman County Sheriff's Office alleging Misty was not home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance.

Standing in front of the courthouse where she and Cummings obtained their marriage license, Misty told reporters she had passed a polygraph test. "I passed my lie detector test. I was home," said a confident Misty. Weeks earlier, Ron Cummings also told reporters that he and Misty had passed their lie detector tests with "flying colors." But according to attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, it is unlikely the results of her polygraph test would be released until after the investigation had been finalized.

Furthermore, says Sax, the idea that a polygraph is pass or fail is a common misconception. "Misty Cummings might have answered truthfully when asked if she was actually responsible for Haleigh's disappearance or if she killed her, but we don't know what questions were asked," she says.

Do you think Misty Cummings is telling everything she knows about Haleigh's disappearance?

Listen to Misty Cummings' 911 call:

If you have seen Haleigh, or know anything about her disappearance, call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (8477).

next: Breast Pumping in the Bathroom -- Not Cool?
Anonymous March 18, 2009, 10:36 AM

I don’t understand how Ron and Misty could even think about marriage at this time. Misty is a dead women walking!!!
Ron is not going to let her out of his sight now that he has her just where he needs her. I believe if they could get her away from Ron where she would be safe maybe she might talk. You can bet if they try that Ron will go nuts with rage which would only prove someone is not telling the truth.
I also would like to say that I hope the great-grandmother lives to see Haleigh alive. She is not looking well and I pray for her to have strength and faith that God is on her side.
It doesn’t appear anyone is too concerned about her health and she looks like a wonderful and kind person.
I pray for this to end soon.

meekdageek March 18, 2009, 10:39 AM

you guys are all a piece of work. These people just lost there kid and you want to point fingers. How bout we as a whole have some sympathy a little compassion for each other until we find out what happened. Point fingers when there is a little more evidence. Come on now so what there uneducated that does not mean they deserve this. Step in there shoes it probably isn’t so pretty for them. I mean come on stop judging it does not do anything but make you look bad.

tara March 18, 2009, 10:45 AM

these are redneck people :) they probably really dont know what happened to haleigh, i dont think that misty was at home when haleigh disappeared, but i bet she knows more than what she is telling.
rednecks marry younger woman, and i do think that ronald has a temper,he likes younger women so he can control them.
another messed up story

Georgia March 18, 2009, 11:02 AM

I wonder just which one decided to marry NOW — Ron or Misty. Either way, like Tara said, “another messed up story”. This whole thing is very strange.

k8wma March 18, 2009, 11:02 AM

meekdageek:

You sound uneducated, as well. Specifically, you appear to lack knowledge on simple grammar and the use of homophones (there vs. their vs. they’re). This forum asks for comments, and judging is often part of commenting on the web.
That aside, something is rotten in the State of Florida.

America March 18, 2009, 11:09 AM

Pray for little Haleigh [and for her mother]. And hope that she will be found safe and sound.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

I guess I just don’t want to think that something bad happend to this beautiful little girl. We can’t say what we would or wouldnt do in this situation because we are NOT in this situation thank god! I don’t think it really matters if Ron married Misty or not that is not the point here! Yeah the timing of it is not the greatest, but it is done so get over it. Her parents consented to this marriage so her age has NOT A THING to do with anything anymore. Lets dropped that they are married and focus on Haleigh

Texasmommy39 March 18, 2009, 11:34 AM

It truly saddens me that this case has not been solved. It is hard to believe that Law Enforcement and FBI can be fooled by the liars involved in this case. The evidence does not support the theory that this crime was random nor committed by a stranger. The evidence does support family or friend committed this crime. My opinions are based solely on the evidence that has been found and reported to us by the Putnam County Sheriff Office.
1.) Kitchen light on
My opinion is family or not they did not know their way around exactly and the fact Haleigh is scared of the dark and the abductor knew this and wanted Haleigh to be calm and quite and not be afraid.
2.) No forced entry. Back door ajar and screen door propped with cider blocks.
My opinion is this was planned and given some thought to allow the abductor to get in and out 2x quickly, with both children. They would have no other reasoning to prop door if they where not scared to turn on light.
3.)Child’s footprint on wooded path on the same trail the dogs followed from the back door to pond.
My opinion is this is linked to the crime and definitely leads me to believe Haleigh was with someone she knew and was not scared of because she didn’t run or struggle or scream and she had to be awake and conscious to stand.
4.)Haleigh’s night shirt found in laundry.
My opinion is who ever removed her clothes had to off put something a little warmer on because it was said to be in the 40’s that eavening. That tells me someone cares…… but they forgot shoe. Why place it in the dirty clothes and it has been stated at the bottom of the pile? Who would do that????
Wich of these two family’s really have something to gain from this type of crime?

CJ March 18, 2009, 12:58 PM

MARRIED????? YEAH THAT WOULD THE FIRST THING I WOULD THINK ABOUT DOING!!!! STUPID PEOPLE!!

me March 18, 2009, 1:24 PM

there are a few things i would like to mention … first i believe Ron is innocent and had nothing to do with this ….. 2nd why is everyone making such a big deal about the age difference between misty and ron is it common for women to marry older men and its only 8 years really not that big of a deal im 31 and my husband is 42 -
——————i do agree that something is wrong with Misty’s story maybe she was not in the home and someone knew it and took haleigh, maybe something happened to haliegh and she is covering it up or maybe she is just confused but something does not add up , i also find crystal the bio-mom to be a little suspicious too maybe she had something to do with it or knows who has her daughter and is using this as a way to gain custody of Jr and get out op paying child support she owes …

me March 18, 2009, 1:24 PM

angela March 18, 2009, 1:56 PM

Just to let ya’ll know little William missing in Spartanburg SC was found dead in a river a little while ago.

pf March 18, 2009, 2:43 PM

i think Misty was not in the house and she is the one that left the door open so she could get back in after she was done partying. When Haleigh saw that Misty was not home Haleigh probably said to Misty that she was going to tell her father so Misty may have killed her on pupose or hit her accidentally and killed her.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 3:30 PM

This is a nasty little case that has infected this little community and effected many near and as far as Texas with its web of deceit of smoke and mirrors. It just didn’t seem right to not have evidence of a crime and no child found after days of extensive searches… so I got on my trusty computer and a whole new show progressed with out a news camera and oh the Jerry Springer audience has been in the front row of cyberspace trashing and mud slinging obstruction instead of focusing at the task at hand and find a little girl. I have been an avid reader of many different forums that focus on crimes such as this and have been disappointed in the argumentative posts of members as to the history and economic status of all the players in this case and I feel this on all fronts has defiantly effected the purpose of the well intended to contribute in this search for this little one that is not where she is supposed to be at this very moment . I feel the talents of many are needed to bring to light the truth of this case and hope that others feel this way also.

Angela March 18, 2009, 3:42 PM

meekdageek,what world are you living in.Do you think a stranger or kidnapper would bring a brick to prop open a door just by chance,and turn on a kitchen light so they could be seen.There was no forced entry.Come on it really suprises me how people can be so nieve.I just bet you Ron and Misty had something to do with it.Me,maybe 42 and 31 is a little diffrent than 17 and 25. A 17 year old is still a child!!!!!There is no way I’d sign for my 17 yr old to get married.Ron is a great actor.I don’t see how he could care about his daughter . Haliegh is missing and he goes and gets married.The only two people that know what happened is Misty and Ron.Maybe he’s not as stupid as I first thought,by going to work he does’nt have to account for anything Misty gets to take all the blame.Ron just saids I don’t know and I was’nt there,you’ll have to ask her. She can’t keep her story stright.She can’t keep her stories stright because she is lying,not because she’s 17.

anita March 18, 2009, 3:50 PM

first of all, the story is so far fetched.those cinder blocks that held the door open, was far in the back yard-how could anyone in the dark ever see them on the ground.the little girl probably got her hands on some drugs that were in the house. and became sick and died-misty had her cousin take care of the situation, made it look like an abduction.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 3:56 PM

My personal opinion is the way Ronald went about getting the kids in his custody in the beginning is probably the main reason why Crystal went about it this way, to get even. I feel it was her intention to take Jr. also but was unable to take the risk and remove him from the bed where he was sleeping with Misty. Crystal has some physiological things going on in connection with this new family and the one she and Ronald started. Possibly some postpartum depression that has brought certain surprised feelings to the surface in regards to her non custody of her two children with Ronald. I believe that the children expressing their love for Misty; Ronald’s “new” girlfriend, is and was the last straw on Crystals back. .It is a fact that Crystal is behind in child support and is possible financially strained with their one income household, new baby and both having support payments due for children outside their home. To obtain custody would solve the support due and lessen their financial responsibility outside the home, but how do you do that with no money and no one who has been on your side? You prove the parent is unfit and call in back up. I believe this is where the story begins.
Please note that this is my opinion.

Anonymous March 18, 2009, 4:52 PM

First off these people are insane. Who goes out and gets a tattoo of their M.I.A daughter? Shouldn’t he be looking for her? Instead he spends his time getting engaged then getting married! What a nut job! These two know something, and all their wanting is attention, attention, attention!! GUILTY!!!!

Gigohead  March 18, 2009, 5:37 PM

I have always been suspicious of that girl since day one. I don’t think the father was in on it because you can hear his desperation on the 911 call. The fact that she waited for him to come back was such a red flag for me.

Angela March 18, 2009, 6:45 PM

Crystal had never set a foot into that home,she had never even been to the house Ron had just moved there.Listen she is a drugee but she would not have turned on a kitchen light and known to put a cinder block to hold the door.She also would have known the lay out of that trailer.She was in Georgia and that was proven.How would have Crystal have gotten in,no forced entry.Do you honestly believe Misty could have slept through all of this.Ron is coaching her on what to say and how to say it,why do you think she waited to call police.