Misty Cummings' Haleigh Story Shaky

Misty Cummings has not been ruled out as a suspect in the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings.

misty-cummings.jpg
The story at first seemed tragically straightforward: Misty Crosling awoke in the middle of the night and discovered Haleigh, the daughter of her boyfriend Ron Cummings, was missing. After trying to find little Haleigh, she called 911.

That was over a month ago and as the story continues to unfold, there are many inconsistencies in Misty's story. From what Haleigh was wearing to the order of events that fateful night, Misty can't seem to keep her story straight. Although 17-year-old Misty is now a married woman -- tying the knot with Haleigh's father last week -- she is still barely an adult and many attribute her ever-changing time line to nervousness and immaturity. Whatever the reasons, the question has become: was Misty even home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance?

Misty told authorities that she put both Haleigh and the girl's younger brother to bed at about 8 PM.  Then, around 3 AM, she got up to go to the bathroom. That's when she noticed Haleigh was missing. Contradicting this story are tips received by the Putman County Sheriff's Office alleging Misty was not home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance.

Standing in front of the courthouse where she and Cummings obtained their marriage license, Misty told reporters she had passed a polygraph test. "I passed my lie detector test. I was home," said a confident Misty. Weeks earlier, Ron Cummings also told reporters that he and Misty had passed their lie detector tests with "flying colors." But according to attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, it is unlikely the results of her polygraph test would be released until after the investigation had been finalized.

Furthermore, says Sax, the idea that a polygraph is pass or fail is a common misconception.  "Misty Cummings might have answered truthfully when asked if she was actually responsible for Haleigh's disappearance or if she killed her, but we don't know what questions were asked," she says.

Do you think Misty Cummings is telling everything she knows about Haleigh's disappearance?

Listen to Misty Cummings' 911 call:

If you have seen Haleigh, or know anything about her disappearance, call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (8477).

next: Breast Pumping in the Bathroom -- Not Cool?
Robin March 18, 2009, 10:25 PM

I don’t believe Misty’s story. I think she knows more than she’s saying and I think it is out of fear of Haleigh’s father that she is not telling what she knows. You have to remember, she’s a child herself and Haleigh’s dad seems to have a very bad temper.

Bambi March 19, 2009, 1:17 AM

I believe they were married so neither has to testify against one or the other. I feel the father or Misty has killed the child sorry. My prayers are that the boy will be safe.

lucy 49 March 19, 2009, 8:21 AM

Bambi that law is useless,they would still have to testify against each other,this happened before they were married.Thats not why they got married,Like Angela I believe Ron and Misty know what happened to the little girl. He’s date’s kids so he can control them. He’s evil,look in his eyes.He’s a drug informant for the police.I seen where he had numerous arrest for drugs but never convicted.He makes deals,so I believe he made a deal with Misty.The bio mom only wants attention,she all of a sudden cares.I tell you if the little girl was taken and is in good hands,somebody is taking care of her even if it was to get even with Ron,she’s better off than being with these nut jobs.

MAZZIE March 19, 2009, 10:21 AM

WHERE’S JERRY SPRINGER.
WHENEVER DRUGS ARE INVOLVED, THE CHILDREN ALWAYS PAY THE PRICE FOR NEGLET! GOD BE WITH HALEIGH!

joey March 19, 2009, 2:54 PM

polygraphs are not pass or fell.they cannot tell you wether you pass or not.listen to the police they tell you that.misty had some sort of roll in this.she will eventually get caught.hr lies will lead to a confession.and then a fabulous honeymoon behind bars.

Georgia March 19, 2009, 3:31 PM

I hate to say it, but I really think the litle girl is dead. Same thing I thought about Caylee after so long a time..

Georgia March 19, 2009, 3:32 PM

terisa March 19, 2009, 4:06 PM

I believe on of two theories..#1 Ron hit her, possibly for wetting the bed,and accidently fractured her skull, she went to bed and Misty noticed something wrong in the middle of the night,and she died..#2 Crystal had her fiance take her..thus the man in black..was HE cleared..we don’t hear from him or from Misty’s family..WHY!!!

terisa March 19, 2009, 4:12 PM

when Ron was asked did you ever hit your children? a yes or no answer was expected..no elaboration..he answered..only within the guidelines of DCF??? who says that??it was a “yes” or “no” answer..I never heard of the proper way to “hit” a child..he’s educated in that????

terisa March 19, 2009, 4:16 PM

who’s ever heard of the right way to HIT a child??Ron said he only hit them within the guidelines of DCF???very suspicios answer to a yes or no question!!prayers are with this little girl!!

danyelle March 19, 2009, 4:21 PM

Well where was little Jr. during all this?Ron must have scared him and told him he’d hurt him to if he ever said anything.I think Ron, Misty and the cousin were involved.Why did the cousin visit that day and leave to go back to Tenn. that same night. I do believe something also happened that afternoon.The cousin stayed in trouble with the police.Maybe Ron payed him off with drugs to get rid of Haleigh’s body on his way home. Think about it how would Misty had killed Haliegh with Jr. there and gotten rid of her with Jr.there.They have searched alot of area around that trailer and no Haleigh.Misty could’nt have taken the body to far because Jr.was home sleeping. He would tell.Ron did something to that little girl that afternoon,told Jr. she was sleeping.Cousin came over and Ron asked him to get rid of her, the cousin goes along with it because he’s on drugs. Ron goes to work Misty calls Ron at work for alibi,Ron comes home he coaches Misty on the 911 call.Cousin does’nt say a word ,afraid of going back to jail.Ron married Misty to make sure she kept her mouth shut.Look at Ron he’s not Mr.Clean and good.He’s got an arrest record a mile long for durgs but never been convicted.He’s made deals with the cops.He’s not stupid when deaLING WITH POLICE,he’s had practice.Misty can’t REMEMBER THE COUSIN’S NAME BECAUSE SHE’S AFRAID the police will question him.Police do question him and he keeps his mouth shut afraid of going back to jail.He’s a drugee.Drugee’s will do anything to get high and for drugs.Ron told on himself and said the cousin was there before he went to work.He also said he changed the locks himself and nobody else had a key.It’s an inside job.Ron does’nt fool me he could have been in a soap opera.He gets these teenage girls so he can control them.He said on NG he had a history of dating teenagers.It’s my version of what happened I believe .Ron planned it all.I hope Jr. is safe.I hope I’m wron but it all seems to fit.

Sadie March 19, 2009, 5:10 PM

I personally do not think the mother is involved in any way. I think she is just another victim of Ronalds. She would have been only 15 or 16 when she had Caylee. She didn’t even get her drivers license until she got away from Ronald at the age of 19. She allowed Ronald for a visit and he kept the kids and then hired an atty.
Art Harris is going to be postng pictures of Haleigh and Jr. on his site later that shows these kids have been beaten. The link is www.artharris.com
I know the big question is, was Misty home? I feel she was home at the time and she knows who took Haleigh. In the 911 all, Ronald ask her how she could let them take her? Last night Harris questioned her and she said Haleigh “was” like a daughter to her. Misty told the police that she went to bed and got in between Haleigh and Jr. but then changed her story. Ronald baked this story by telling the news this is the way they go to bed every night. Ronald was asked if he had 2 kids in the home. He said, yes. The other child was not harmed? He said, no. He then said, “imagine that” in a sarcastic way. I think Ronald shows more attention to Haleigh than Jr. Misty may have well been jealous of Haleigh and this being the reason she allowed them to take Haleigh. She sure does look like her mom. How much does Misty hate Haleigh’s mom? I think the reason Misty didn’t call Ronald right away is beause she knew the persons that took her as did Ronald. Misty and Ronald are hiding something and are more afraid of getting caught and going to jail themselves is why they are lying. I do not feel Haleigh is in the area of where they live. Here is another link that has a lot of videos. You can click on them and watch them on you tube as well.

Sadie March 19, 2009, 5:25 PM

terisa
I found this too be odd as well. Him explaining spanking. What did he do? Go to the DCF and ask? I hve asked myself, what could the little girl and boy have done so bad at this age that require a spanking. I am so tired of hearing poor Misty and Ronald. Misty is young is why she makes her mistakes. A 2 year old can rmember events. What the heck kind of mothers allow their kids to be with a older man with them being teenagers. If an older woman wanted to be with my 17 year old son, I would ask a lot of questions.

lisa March 19, 2009, 11:00 PM

Somethings not right here. Even the 911 call-shows Rons true colors. Swearing, threatening, degrading Misty. Misty says our daughter-sounds like shes playing house-she doesnt even know how much Haleigh weighs , or her birthday etc.Was there drug trafficing going on in that house? Did Ron finally hit Haleigh too hard? Is Misty covering for Ron? The “marriage” is ridiculous! He married her because Haleighs real mom is stepping in and the truth is coming out. He is trying to make himself look more stable-for custody issues.

Robin March 20, 2009, 2:20 PM

I don’t believe Haleigh’s dad has done anything physical to child. I do believe, however, that Haleigh’s dad is involved in other illegal things and the poor little girl is a victim of his actions. I also believe that his child bride knows more than is being told but she’s too frightened to speak, I mean who wouldn’t be afraid of this father??? I think Misty is in fear of her own life and is not telling the truth about things. She’s a child herself!!!!

Sadie March 20, 2009, 2:43 PM

The biggest question for the police now is, was Misty home on the evening Haleigh disappeared? When she was on the news, she said, I pased, I was home. Why did she say this? I agree with lisa on them getting married. There is a law in Florida that 17 is too young and when asked what the police were going to do, they said they wanted to focus on Haligh first. Is it possible Ron could get rape charges at a later date? The 911 calls say a lot in my opinion because if the events really happened the way Misty said they do, then I see no reason for Ron to blame Misty and all her names, but by his doing this, tells me he is already trying to put the blame on her alone. The both of them know what happened to this little girl. I also agree that Haleigh was dumped somewhere along side of a road between their home and Tenn. I think this is being mentioned on her cousins my space page, but you have to be a member to read it.

DrMom March 20, 2009, 10:42 PM

Ron probably only married Misty when he did because of all the media attention and others raising the issue that he might be breaking the law by living with a minor. So, he did it simply to not risk being arrested.

Dee Dee March 21, 2009, 2:36 AM

I am still listening daily for for information, I made judgement in Caylee’s case to soon. But even to a hillbilly from Tn,Somthing is not right. I have a child who is deaf he went missing when he was 4 well the police, Fireman, Rescue squad, EMS, Family, Neighbors and I called my husband at work, were all looking for him. I was histerical and felt so guilty I had only left them for 1 minute to get a soda from Fridge. Him and his dog vanished We couldnt hollar for him as he wouldnt hear us 2 hours no son OMG I was histerical I felt my life was over we started screaming for the dog. And we had a camper in the yard taken off my husbands truck for some reason no one looked in it. The dog never responded but he would never leave my sons side. I finally asked for someoen to look under camper welllllllll they were coiled up sound alseep omg I felt like i was the richest and luckiest woman alive. My son had been gone 5 minutes when I called 911 not a month not even 30 minutes I cant imagine my life with out my son I would have no life, I lost one to cancer i cant imagine loosing my 14 yr old. I hope the truth comes out soon if this baby is alive GOD SEND HER HOME if she is an angel I pray they find her soon to let her have peace and put the idiotin jail that would hurt a child

Not Buying March 21, 2009, 7:21 PM

Both Ron and Misty know what happened to little Haleigh. Ron is in control, Misty is submissive and compliant. Notice too how Ron suddenly got himself not one, but two lawyers, yet Misty, his new wife, who is allegedly the last one to see Haleigh, is unprotected and unrepresented. That Misty is easily controlled and manipulated is probably what attracted Ron to her in the first place. Until they married, Misty was merely his free, live-in babysitter, housekeeper, cook and bed partner. He married her after Haleigh disappeared for his own protection. Make no mistake, Ron takes care of Ron. Misty is an afterthought, if that.

A Mom March 21, 2009, 9:29 PM

Sorry everyone but little Haleigh is no longer alive. Very sad, but also a probable certainty. The police are not showing their hand until they make an arrest. Like in the Casey Anthony case, they want to make sure they have enough evidence so that these scumbags don’t ever go free once they have their trial and are found guilty. The question shouldn’t be whether or not Ronald and his girlfriend had anything to do with Haleigh’s disappearance. Instead, it should be how on earth did the court system find Ronald to be a suitable parent?? Sure, Crystal isn’t exactly ‘bright,’ but I would bet she doesn’t have half the problems Ronald does! Just another fine example of the Friend of the Court NOT protecting the children! Too bad they will never be held responsible.