Misty Cummings' Haleigh Story Shaky

Misty Cummings has not been ruled out as a suspect in the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings.

misty-cummings.jpg
The story at first seemed tragically straightforward: Misty Crosling awoke in the middle of the night and discovered Haleigh, the daughter of her boyfriend Ron Cummings, was missing. After trying to find little Haleigh, she called 911.

That was over a month ago and as the story continues to unfold, there are many inconsistencies in Misty's story. From what Haleigh was wearing to the order of events that fateful night, Misty can't seem to keep her story straight. Although 17-year-old Misty is now a married woman -- tying the knot with Haleigh's father last week -- she is still barely an adult and many attribute her ever-changing time line to nervousness and immaturity. Whatever the reasons, the question has become: was Misty even home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance?

Misty told authorities that she put both Haleigh and the girl's younger brother to bed at about 8 PM.  Then, around 3 AM, she got up to go to the bathroom. That's when she noticed Haleigh was missing. Contradicting this story are tips received by the Putman County Sheriff's Office alleging Misty was not home at the time of Haleigh's disappearance.

Standing in front of the courthouse where she and Cummings obtained their marriage license, Misty told reporters she had passed a polygraph test. "I passed my lie detector test. I was home," said a confident Misty. Weeks earlier, Ron Cummings also told reporters that he and Misty had passed their lie detector tests with "flying colors." But according to attorney Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, it is unlikely the results of her polygraph test would be released until after the investigation had been finalized.

Furthermore, says Sax, the idea that a polygraph is pass or fail is a common misconception.  "Misty Cummings might have answered truthfully when asked if she was actually responsible for Haleigh's disappearance or if she killed her, but we don't know what questions were asked," she says.

Do you think Misty Cummings is telling everything she knows about Haleigh's disappearance?

Listen to Misty Cummings' 911 call:

If you have seen Haleigh, or know anything about her disappearance, call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (8477).

next: Breast Pumping in the Bathroom -- Not Cool?
SesshoumarusGirl March 22, 2009, 4:27 PM

Frankly, I think BOTH families are beign dishonest. I’m also disgusted with how the media is dragging the father through the mud, when he hasn’t been charged in regards to his daughters disappearance. Why is “Ms Crystal” constantly going on Geraldo and bashing her ex? Her daughter is missing and all she and her mother talk about is how “bad” Ron is. Yeah, well she is no Angel either. Shouldn’t the focus be on her missing child?

Fact is, WE DON’T KNOW WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE. The Police aren’t saying much (Which is a good thing) and the media is “spinning” every little tidbit they get, not to mention taking hersay as “fact”

This entire thing is messed up, period.

Anonymous March 22, 2009, 4:56 PM

Well if you’ve been reading about this case Ron is a police informant.He has to be because his arrest record indicates he’s been arrested on drug charges but never arrested.So I’m sure the court system cuts him so slack.I agree with A Mom.I also think Ron AND Misty ARE GULITY.The police will make an arrest shortly and when all is sad and done I believe it will involve Ron and Misty.They need to stop going on CNN because when they are arrested all the lies will back fire on them.It’s sad that such sweet children fall victims to such terrible crimes.

april March 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

I THINK THE FATHER”S GIRLFRIEND MISTY, KNOWS WHAT HAPPEN TO HALEIGH AND HAS ALOT TO DO WITH HER DISAPPERING AND I THINK SHE SHOULD BE IN JAIL FOR DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO THAT CHILD OR TO ANYBODY FOR THAT MATTER AND NOT TO METION THE GIRLFRIEND IS ALSO ON DRUGS AND LIKES TO PARTY ALOT SO WHO REALLY KNOWS WHAT KIND OF PERSON SHE REALLY IS!!! BUT RONALD CUMMINGS SHOULD ALSO BE IN JAIL FOR LETTING SOMEBODY LIKE MISTY EVEN WATCH HALEIGH OR DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO HIS OWN DAUGHTER!!!

Joan  March 23, 2009, 1:04 PM

If you look at Misty’s eyes, and the way she shifts them, then you will know that she’s guilty of something. She’s involved in some way. She’s not telling the truth, plain and simple. My prayers are with little Haleigh. Our poor babies have to suffer because of people’s irresponsibility and bad choices. So very, very sad.

terisa March 23, 2009, 2:12 PM

I read a private investigator found out Misty had a black boyfriend “GREGG” could this be the black man in black??of course, that’s way Misty called Ron and not the police right away,she didn’t want to get busted!!???interesting how dirt comes out when the media gets involved,everyone has a past, some darker than others..Misty knows somerhing and so does Ron.prayers for Haleigh.Ron and Misty better start saying their prayers!!!

mysticmoonprincess1 March 23, 2009, 2:42 PM

Looks like someone has enough x-tra time to keep up on their nascar!! Check out see it all fox sports read the comments.Im not sure if this is really him or someone using his poto!!!

Deaf lady March 23, 2009, 3:39 PM

I figured out about a dumpster where Misty dumped haleigh. They started to search at last week of Feb 26. What if a first dumpster went away that missed to search after Feb 10 . Why did they wait until feb 26 th ??

Anonymouse March 23, 2009, 5:30 PM

What about Misty’s black boyfriend?

terisa March 24, 2009, 1:04 PM

yes it took a bounty hunter named Cobra to find out Misty had a boyfriend..he’s probably one of many..why didn’t she give this info willingly??why did it take an outside source to find this out?? what is she hiding??married???if my child were missing I wouldn’t be able to sleep, eat, I’d just barely breathe,cry,I’d be close to catonic!!

terisa March 24, 2009, 1:15 PM

very time I see these two they looked stoned!!they both know what happened to Haleigh..I bet Misty will crack under pressure, that’s why police keep questioning her either Ron owed drug money or he beat her, either way Misty knows and Haleigh is dead..GOD bless this baby AMEN!!

terisa March 24, 2009, 1:15 PM

Indiana girl March 25, 2009, 3:14 AM

I really think Misty did it just watching her walk around on camera she’s smoking now isn’t the law down there the same as everywhere must be 18 to smoke she just walks around like her you know what don’t stink well something stinks in this case lock them both up I think one of them will start talking but other then that I really hope they find this little one alive and well

CD March 26, 2009, 4:56 AM

I also have a bad feeling that this child is dead, and that Misty knows much more than she is revealing, I thinkk she was so out of it that night , she must have had another guy with her and things went terribly wrong, Misty has no recollection of that fateful nights events I dont think Misty did anything to the child but I do believe her visitors who ever it was, has something to do with this, and Misty is but a child herself , very bad situation there at that house and they should take the little boy away, perhaps to his mom, where he could be well cared for since his one of her children there is nothing better than a mother love, and for some reason Ronald prevented that his controlling and he does not look good at all , he looks like his on some kind of medications weird looking what a shame ..

karla March 26, 2009, 9:52 AM

I believed Misty killed Haleigh, and have thought so from the beginning.Her story does’nt add up. She’s young and was probably jealous of Haleigh because she was a daddy’s girl.Haleigh’s dad probably married her so he would’nt get charged himself for being a pedophile, but I don’t believe he had anything to do with Haleigh’s disappearence.

DEANNA March 26, 2009, 2:09 PM

I WISH ALL OF YOU WOULD LEARN HOW TO SPELL CORRECTLY BEFORE SENDING YOUR OPINIONS. THIS CASE IS AWFUL, PROBABLY AS AWFUL AS CAYLEE’S BUT NO ONE KNOWS THE TRUTH EXCEPT THE ONE (OR MORE THAN ONE) RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS, WHICH IS PROBABLY RON AND MISTY. THEY MESSED UP AND ARE COVERING FOR EACH OTHER.

Linda T March 26, 2009, 3:33 PM

Misty needs to be questioned more.She is not telling all she knows. She has become too confident in her story and now looks as though she feels in control.

salty March 27, 2009, 2:02 PM

I believe that both Ronald and Misty had something to do with Haleigh’s disappearance. These folks that say they saw Misty out that night, was Haleigh with her??? When they first spoke to Ron he was 3 sheets to the wind and yet he was suppose to have been at work?? Misty was also on something. Listen to the 911 call, and why didn’t Ron call she is his daughter. I think Misty was scarred to death of Ron, as he is screaming profanities to her as she calls 911. its is getting really old for Ron to say when asked if they have found out if Misty was in the home or not the night Haleigh went missin that he don’t know, or He wasn’t home. PLEASE!!! If my daughter was missing I would know every thing Misty did or said, if she is cleared or not. Is there something in the water in Orange County, FL. The woman that just starved her 4 month old daughter to death is from Orange CO. Salty

salty March 27, 2009, 3:40 PM

Deana, Sorry! we are not ALL as literate as you dear. We ALL don’t use capital letters when placing a comment either. Must be hard being perfect.

MN Mama March 29, 2009, 5:10 AM

I just cant believe all the bandwagon jumpers here! I truely hope this tragedy never happens to any of you because if your entire life is put out there, truth, alleged, or all out lie, it doesn’t really matter to the media. In todays society of hate-mongers, its all about who has the best story, which paper has it or which show is telling the most “action packed” story of the news today! So becareful when throwing stones because someday somebody may throw a brick or a cement block through yours! You may indeed need and deserve sympathy, compassion and the publics help to find your missing child, however…you will most likely get shunned, attacked, falsly accused, hate mail and worse than that…who will be there to help you find your child or help you bring the person responsible to justice? Probably noone! Some cases are clear, like the Anthony case, but are you all punishing The Cummings for being that case or do you have some proof of their guilt? Because if you do, thats pretty unreal since the police dont even have a shred of evidence against them! I am sure child molesters are thrilled and taking notes lately, because we know they can come in and take ANY child out of any house without leaving a trace, their problem has always been getting away without a trace, but now the public doesnt even consider them before everyone else! You are all playing right into their business of taking and selling our children! Be careful!

TheT March 31, 2009, 7:08 AM

I had a situation recently in which I thought my 12 year old son was missing. My wife leaves for work shortly after our son leaves to catch the school bus. She drives right past his bus stop and on the said day he was not there. She stopped and asked some kids at the bus stop and they said they had not seen him. She immediately came back home and woke me up and called the police. Let me tell you it was not a feeling I wish for anyone to go through. It was a feeling of absolute panic and helplessness. NOTHING else mattered. NOTHING. Thank God it turned out he had walked a little further to a different bus stop because he had a crush on a girl who caught the bus there. When we discovered he was safe and at school it was the single most gratifying moment of my 38 years of life. After tears of panic and despair I cried tears of joy for the second time in my life. The first being the moment he was born. The point I am trying to make is if my child was missing they could lock me up, drag my name through the mud and expose every secret I’ve ever held in my life and it would not mean a thing. The only thing that would matter would be the safe return of my child. To me it makes no sense to get married because it was supposedly the wishes of the little girl. These peoples only concern should be the safe return of their little girl. Then you get married when she can be there. I think they know that is not a possibility. One or both of them know exactly what happened and where she is. I pray I am wrong. God bless the children.