Jon and Kate = Great Parenting

Here's why.

Jon and Kate

Mary Poppins: Some of you may think this is a joke, but I'm not kidding. Jon and Kate Gosselin are better parents than you think.

1. Their kids listen. Even with cameras circling and tons of people coming in and out of their house, these eight kids listen to what Jon and Kate say. They follow directions and know the rules. They know that what their parents say goes.

2. They discipline their children. I hate seeing kids cry, it really just rips into my heart, but you know what? Sometimes kids need to cry and learn that what they did was wrong. This is where time-out comes in, and Jon and Kate know how to use it. They do not discipline their children over everything, but they make sure their kids know what is acceptable and what is not.

3. They spend time with their children. OK, they have a TV deal and have more time to be at home than the average parent. BUT, they do not just stay home and watch TV, surf the internet, etc. They spend time with their kids, interacting with them and taking them out to explore their surroundings.

4. They recognize the differences in their children. This is probably one of the things I love most about Jon and Kate; they never compare their children. So many parents use one child against the other and then do not understand why there is animosity between their children. Jon and Kate know how their kids differ and revel in their diversity.

5. They genuinely love each other. The worst kind of family to walk into is one where the kids have no love and respect for one another. In this family, these kids have already learned to lean on each other. Sure, there are going to be fights and arguments between them all, but through it all, each and every one of them genuinely loves the other seven.

I'm sure I have offended some of you who love to hate this family for various reasons, but I just do not see where the hate stems from. I do not believe that if you were in their situation, you would turn down an opportunity that would allow you to provide for your family to the best of your abilities.

next: Is Skiing Safe for Our Families?
Sandy March 17, 2009, 7:12 AM

You make some good points.

I don’t watch the show. I don’t watch much reality tv at all, and the few times I’ve seen Jon and Kate, I couldn’t stand the way she treats him. I don’t know if it’s her OCD (is that diagnosed?) or just selfishness, but I hate to see people treat loved ones (or anyone) with such disdain. And Jon just takes it. He’s either a saint or a wimp, but either way, he’s not doing his kids’ future spouses any good with his example. I haven’t watched enough to know which he is.

If I ever watch again, I’ll keep an eye out for the issues you’ve raised.

Melinda March 17, 2009, 9:30 AM

I totally agree with you. Everyone should know that what we see on the show is never going to be the whole truth. It wouldn’t be very dramatic if they didn’t creatively edit to make it look like Jon and Kate fight more than they do. I think they are amazing parents, and they handle 8 kids without going totally crazy. I couldn’t handle 8 kids so kudos to them for doing the best they can.

Jill March 17, 2009, 10:14 AM

About time- a nice article about Jon & Kate… I love their show!

Dave March 17, 2009, 11:18 AM

Kate can care for her kids OK, but treats her husband like a child and should be ashamed of herself.

Jen March 17, 2009, 11:38 AM

What show are you watching? Seriously.

As far as turning down an opportunity to provide for their family? They did turn down an opportunity that would do just that: a job.

Parents work so that kids don’t have to. Most good parents live by that philosophy.

Jen March 17, 2009, 11:45 AM

I’ve only seen clips of this show but from what I’ve seen Kate treats Jon like dirt. That’s a poor example for your kids to see and that is far from “great” parenting.

Jessica March 17, 2009, 1:03 PM

Nice to see something positive. As the writer stated, there are many other perspectives out there (even on this website), but I agree with the points made. I think some of the unreasonable hostility to Kate (in particular) has blinded many to the fact that they do some things well as parents. This list was a nice starting point. I would add a commitment to healthy eating to the list too.

Thanks.

Debbie March 17, 2009, 1:15 PM

“unreasonable hostility”? Have you seen the show? She treats her husband like absolute trash. He tries to do the best he can, but she doesn’t care. Great mother, yes. Great wife, not by a longshot. I agree she should be ashamed of herself.

Robyn March 17, 2009, 1:41 PM

Ok…seriously, you haven’t watched most of the shows, have you? Sure, she loves her kids….she loves some kids more than others, like Hannah the favorite. Heck, Kate even acts like she hates Jon most of the time. She treats him like dirt and emasculates him every show.

These parents sold their children’s privacy so they could go from ‘poor us’ to ‘I WANT MORE FREEBIES’. All they have to do is say “I’d love to go here/there”. Next season an episode will be taped there….they got there FREE, then get paid for production.

Go find the episode where 1 little boy is impacted, they were shopping for beds in a furniture store. Jon took him out to the van and used a dirty used bag to un-impact that child ON CAMERA and showed the impaction he pulled out. If that isn’t USING your child…nothing is. They are disgusting ‘role models’ for parents.

Bob March 17, 2009, 2:07 PM

You are delusional. Or blind. Or both.
Wow.

GayleInez March 17, 2009, 2:48 PM

If this is good parenting, I’m glad I’m an orphan.

LibraryLady March 17, 2009, 3:24 PM

What show are you watching??? Kate Gosselin has NO idea how to handle her children. Once they were too old to plop in a crib or behind a kiddy gate, she wants little to do with them - except Princess Hannie.

The time she spends with them is for free, luxury trips to parks and events that she whined for on TV.
She is willing to sell their privacy and dignity for trips to spas for herself.

She calls them names and disparages them and its all caught on DVD so they can watch it forever.

No, I don’t HATE Kate but I hate the type of mothering she practices.
Selfish, selfish, selfish.

lovestheshow March 17, 2009, 4:12 PM

just for the record i think jon & kate represent most home in america. i ‘d love to see what would be caught if you had 8 kids and cameras around all day. people who speak up the most about what they dislike are usually the most guilty of the same behaviour themselves.

urnuts March 17, 2009, 4:24 PM

Are you serious. Those kids are brats. They scream and whine constantly, hit each other and act like houligans. Kate is just in the dark about what goes on in her house because she is NEVER there. She berates her husband on national tv on a weekly basis. The Duggar children are well behaved not the Gosselin 8. I hope they are not representative of most homes in America, if they are, then we have serious problems in this country. Don’t even get me started on their sense of entitlement.

Robyn March 17, 2009, 6:15 PM

to “lovestheshow” about what would be caught on camera if there were 8 kids in the house. I’d be smart enough to NOT sell my children’s souls to TV if I had 8 kids like Jon and Kate do. I live a few minutes from J & K…you ain’t seen nothing yet….to be continued.

Melissa Multitasking Mama March 17, 2009, 6:20 PM

I enjoy the show and agree with all the points you made. People have no right to judge their parenting or motives unless they know them personally.

Michelle March 17, 2009, 6:21 PM

Mary Poppins — forget Jon & Kate and just come over to my house and work your magic. :-)

Anonymous March 17, 2009, 6:52 PM

I agree and think that Jon and Kate are great parents. While it is very evident that there is deep love in their family, they create boundaries for their children and hold their children to them. They are great examples of parents who understand the effectiveness of discipline and use it appropriately. Their children are well behaved and absolutely adorable. While I may not agree with how Kate treats Jon all of the time, they set a wonderful example for many parents. Most importantly, they should the amazing impact that spending quality time with your children can have.

just another thought March 17, 2009, 6:53 PM

How funny that people love to watch the show, but yet say we have no right to judge them on their parenting. OF COURSE WE HAVE THE RIGHT, they made the choice to be on T.V and they are going to be judged regardless. I don’t think their style of parenting is so perfect, I dont like how kate nags and berates John all the time. I know they have their moments when you get stressed, but come on Kate! You need to back off John, otherwise you are in danger of losing him. Don’t think that because you have so many children will prevent him from leaving you. He just looks so bored everytime Kate opens her mouth, it’s like he’s expecting her to put him down, once again. Melissa Multitasking Mama need’s to chill out a bit, and if you don’t like what people have to say about them, stop reading this site.

Saya March 17, 2009, 8:27 PM

What is wrong with you? Jon and Kate are horrible parents who exploit their kids. You are beyond delusional!!!!