"Mad Men" Creator's Son is Mad for Fashion

He's an 8-year-old fashionista ... but is he missing out on being a kid?

arlo-mad-men.jpg

Wish your kid had more fashion sense? "Mad Men" creator Matt Weiner's son is absolutely obsessed with style, or so says GQ. 8-year-old Arlo (named after Arlo Guthrie) prefers ascots, short pants and top hats to jeans and tennis shoes.

Of his "Artful Dodger" look Arlo says, "I have a lot of black outfits these days, so I needed the red ascot to add some color. I've worn this to school about 12 times." Hmmm, we wonder, did he get beat up 12 times too?

Maybe, as the GQ article implies, dressing like a fop is all Arlo's own idea, but one's gotta think his parents are encouraging his unique style and in the process stifling his childhood. Can you picture this kid playing a rousing game of kick ball in those loafers or participating in a good old fashioned food fight? "Hey, no fair, you got mashed potato on my velvet pants!"

We don't know how much Arlo's togs cost his mom and dad, but we're guessing they weren't cheap. Some parents, despite the economic downturn, are still determined to dress their kids in designer duds.

Plenty of high-end designers like Phillip Lim have have come out with over-the-top lines for little fashionistas. How long do you think the average kid would last in this lilttle number below? We're guessing about eight hours. Tops. Click on a time to see what happens.

Would you let your kid dress like Arlo?

next: Keeping Your Cool If Your Kid Goes Missing
Jill March 11, 2009, 2:27 PM

Good for this kid! He’s showing creativity… I don’t know how this is the parents’ fault. If this boy is being beat up, I’m sure he wouldn’t wear the outfit another 11 times.

Kate March 11, 2009, 5:55 PM

I think Arlo is AMAZING! I would absolutely let my kid dress like that - I really admire his creativity.

Though he might also grow up to be like those kids on Gossip Girl: http://squareeyes.blinkx.com/?p=431

Anonymous March 11, 2009, 7:42 PM

I’ve grown up doing living history interpretation in period attire. Not costume garbage mind you, faithful reproductions and working around original antique garments. Frankly, I think our fashion industry has lost a lot of it’s originality. I ware a mid 19th century sack coat almost every day, along with a pair of very good repro WWII common shoes. Reality is, most “outsiders” don’t know their not modern garments. As it is, many modern garments are “inspired” by earlier styles anyway, especially military styles. Go figure. We make our own happiness in this world, do what makes you feel comfortable, and if living in clothes from another century is it, then go for, you may bring a style back. If my kid wanted to do that, I’d support them, older styles are more modest and detail orienated than the cheep garbage they sell at the mall today anyway.

J

Gmdqicgr June 28, 2009, 7:52 AM

DvKGH9 comment4 ,

Shelby August 14, 2010, 3:00 PM

So because he isn’t like every other little kid, he is missing out on childhood? What happened to encouraging creativity in kids?

Willie September 22, 2010, 5:37 AM

Wow, what a hateful article. i guess if the neighbor kid wanders over in something you don’t approve of, you’ll use the garden hose on him. Glad you weren’t my mom. I think being creative is a good thing, and if your parents encourage you, they are good parents. There is nothing wierd about dressing up and pretending. It’s fun, so get a life.

KISELJOVLeonid November 29, 2010, 6:29 PM

первоклассный гранит под заказ

Stop Dog Barking April 5, 2011, 3:57 PM

I don’t normally comment on blogs.. But nice post! I just bookmarked your site