Madonna Headed to Malawi to Adopt Again

Sources confirm Madonna is headed to the African country of Malawi this weekend and has filed adoption papers to try and adopt a second child.

Madonna

Madonna's adoption of son David in 2008 raised questions about whether rules had been broken for the singer because foreign adoptions were not allowed in Malawi. There are now new concerns that rules again will be broken for the newly divorced Madonna as Malawi also does not approve adoptions for single or divorced parents.

There have been rumors for some time that Madonna wanted to adopt a girl from Malawi, where she also runs a charity, Raising Malawi. In an interview published last week in Malawi's The Nation newspaper, the singer said she was considering another adoption but would only do it if she had "the support of the Malawian people and government."

Madonna met 3-year-old David in October 2006 at a Malawian orphanage. His mother had died and his father was unable to care for him. She and her then-husband Guy Ritchie took David home to London, but it took two years for the adoption to become official. If a second adoption goes through, the 50-year-old singer would be a single mother of four. In addition to little David, she has 8-year-old son Rocco and 12-year-old daughter Lourdes. Her divorce from Ritchie was made final in December.

Interested in connecting with others about adoption? Check out our momlogic community.

See Also:

next: Republican Leader Skips Obama Speech for Britney Spears Concert
Jamie March 26, 2009, 3:54 PM

GOOD FOR HER!!! I love that celebrities like Madonna and Angelina will put their millions and their hearts to good use and adopt these children from impoverished lives and give them the chance they never had! If I had the funds I would definatly do the same

Anonymous March 26, 2009, 4:51 PM

Who really cares what that old has-been does?

GAYLE March 26, 2009, 5:41 PM

YOU GO MADONNA—IT’S A GRAT THING YOU DO FOR THESE CHILDREN
KEEP UP THE WONDERFUL WORK
AN AVID FAN-GAYLE

GAYLE March 26, 2009, 5:43 PM

you go girl-gayle

Megan March 26, 2009, 6:36 PM

Adopt an American child…they need homes too. When does she have time for all these kids? People like her and Angelina make me sick.

Anonymous March 26, 2009, 6:40 PM

maybe they won’t let her adopt because she looks anorexic and they are afraid she won’t feed the child…good god eat something for gods sake…

Kristen March 26, 2009, 7:16 PM

I think it’s great that people like her and Angelina want to adopt children, they definately can afford it and it will give a child a great home. The one thing that really bothers me though, is that it’s basically that she is getting to adopt from this country purely because she is rich and famous. It says right there in the article that adoptions are illegal there, so why make an exception for just her?

memaw March 26, 2009, 7:18 PM

Where is the time to spend with these kids coming from???? I think celebs. like her would do more for kids if they set aside grant monies for people whom want to adopt, have all the love/time and extended families and other resources for parenting yet, just can’t come up with all the money for an actual adoption process.
Alot more kids would be adopted and maybe not so rich but still rich in heart/love which is what kids need most of all and the celebs. would be famous for being Angel mothers/Guardians - providing that boost to get through adoption process.

Forum maman March 5, 2011, 2:19 PM

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If doable, as you grow to be experience, would you mind updating your weblog with more particulars? It is highly useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog post!