Obamas Eat Veggies and So Should You

Ronda Kaysen: Add this notch to Michelle Obama's First Mommy belt: her daughters eat their vegetables.

Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama

After Malia got a little "chubby" a few years ago, Michelle told Parents magazine the Obamas banned juice boxes and processed foods from the house. Now, her girls think carrots are candy.

"If it tastes like a real carrot and it's really sweet, they're going to think that it's a piece of candy," she said. "So my kids are more inclined to try different vegetables if they're fresh and local and delicious."

With her daughter's weight now under control, Michelle has turned her attention to the rest of us. She is on a mission to get American families hooked on healthy, locally grown foods. Those soup kitchens where she's photographed doling out food are serving fresh, local fruits and vegetables to the hungry. And she recently flung open the White House kitchen doors to show America what the Obamas eat for dinner every night. (Think creamed spinach sans the cream.)

Good food, says Michelle, is not just a privilege for the wealthy. Every family should be eating well. Michelle describes herself as "a big believer" in community gardens that provide "fresh fruits and vegetables for so many communities across this nation and world."

Michelle is ushering in a new era of healthy living. Between her buff arms and healthy palate, she's sending a message to moms that our wallets might be thin on the green these days, but our refrigerators shouldn't be.

"They're not just saying, I want to feed my family this; this is good for us," Ruth Reichl, editor of Gourmet magazine told the New York Times.   "Clearly Mrs. Obama is making a point. She thinks communities across the nation deserve to have access to fresh fruits and vegetables."

But back to the Obama girls. Not only do they go to bed at 8 every night and set their own alarm clocks, they also eat their greens. (Malia, however, was not a fan of the creamless creamed spinach.)

Michelle certainly sets the bar high for moms. We could look at it this way: Michelle is giving us great ammunition. The next time our kids refuse their spinach, we can now say, "But Malia and Sasha eat spinach."

next: I Have New Respect for Single Moms!
chris March 12, 2009, 10:52 AM

Wow…the bar is set really high? My kids eat their veggie every night with dinner and have fruits and yogurt every day in their lunches for school (that I pack everyday) Michelle is NOT the ONLY mom who gives her kids good food everyday. Studip article.

Olivia  March 12, 2009, 11:31 AM

Kudos to you, Chris, for feeding your kids wholesome foods. But I don’t see how this is a “stupid article” in light of the huge obesity (with all it’s related health issues) problem we face in this country today. Unfortunately, not everyone is giving her kids good food every day. So if Mrs. Obama and the author of this article are trying to do their part to “raise the bar” in American kitchens, I don’t see how that is stupid.

Anonymous March 12, 2009, 2:47 PM

I agree…stupid!

Anonymous March 12, 2009, 4:05 PM

I think it’s great that she is trying to place importance on a healthier diet and nutrition. Our country is fat and lazy. She’s leading by example.

Anonymous March 12, 2009, 4:31 PM

I don’t understand why when a someone in the media light does something that everyday people do everyday makes headlines. I realize that there is a lot of children that are overweight these days but we don’t really need someone to tell us what we already know. It should be common sense to feed your children healthy food and make sure that they get some excercise in every day.

Chrissy March 12, 2009, 5:55 PM

Until she does soemthing truely progressive - like buying her daughters only organic clothing and changing the lightbulbs in the White Residence to CF ones, enough. Ever day there are parents feeding their children veggies and fruit. This is what should be done. Why applaud Michelle Obama for doing what responisble parents are suppose to do in the frist place? It’s like applauding her for making her kids brush their teeth.
An useless article

Gail Cooke March 12, 2009, 5:56 PM

Do it on your own acknowledgement that it’s a good thing to do, not just because some random celebrities think it’s a good idea.

Angela March 12, 2009, 10:44 PM

Who cares what her kids eat!!!! I agree Chris stupid stupid,oh I guess she’s showing off her great arms in this picture,all this is so important.

Cami March 14, 2009, 12:47 AM

Ladies. Let’s stop personalizing this. She’s the first lady and like it or not, people do look up to her. If you’re doing what you’re supposed to do as a parent…kudos. But, the fact remains that are kids are obese and processed foods are causing it. Get a grip.

Angela March 17, 2009, 7:38 PM

Cami I am not personalizing anything,if u have half a brain you feed your kids healthy foods.I agree processed foods are the cause of it,why do we care what the first lady is feeding her kids,write about something important.Just because the first lady feeds her children healthy food does’nt mean everybody in America will start feeding their children only what the first lady is feeding hers.We Americans are not stupid if you feed your kids healthy you do and if you don’t you don’t.Some people can’t afford to feed their children fruits and vegtables they are more expensive,processed fors are cheap. You do what you can.

Tysha April 14, 2009, 5:12 PM

I was borned in another country…(Panama), fruits and vegetables were so plentiful we ate fruits for snacks (not cookies and potato chips). The USA has so much the kids are spoiled and FAT. Now MCDonald is in Panama and(you guessed it)… the kids there are FAT too.
If Michelle wants to talk about what she feeds her kids, I don’t have a problem with that.

Llezuqcf June 26, 2009, 1:56 AM

4WVWRd comment5 ,

Rodolfo Allenbach March 27, 2011, 2:24 PM

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely liked reading all that is written on your site.Keep the tips coming. I loved it

Zaida Slade March 30, 2011, 6:58 AM

I have been checking out many of your posts and i can claim clever stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your website.

Dwana Merryweather April 6, 2011, 7:11 AM

I am continually browsing online for tips that can help me. Thank you!

syma remote control helicopter April 8, 2011, 9:06 AM

Super job on the article. Countless thanks for sharing it with us, you must have gone by way of a lot of work to complete it so well.

Jetta Altshuler April 10, 2011, 5:25 AM

You made some clear points there. I did a search on the issue and found most people will approve with your site.

treatment for chickenpox April 10, 2011, 8:15 AM

You can certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.