My Hubby: This Just Isn't Kosher!

If you gave up your dog because your spouse hated dogs, would you be pissed if he decided one day he wanted a puppy? One mom says, "Hell, yeah!"

Wife angry and husband eating

Guest Blogger Samantha: When my husband Rick and I first started dating, we talked a lot about religion. We are both Jewish, but I come from a very reform background, while he comes from a conservative background. His grandparents were all survivors of the Holocaust and had shared some very sad and poignant stories of surviving camps like Auschwitz. One of my husband's grandfathers told him how the Nazis would force them to eat sausage. (The Old Testament clearly states that pork AND shellfish are forbidden under the kosher laws which is why some Jewish people do not eat them.) That story stuck with Rick; he told me that since his grandfather wasn't afforded the freedom of "choice," but that he could practice his religion freely in this country, that he would cut out pork and shellfish out of his diet. It was Rick's personal way of choosing -- his own show of thanks to God.

Rick asked me if I this was a commitment I thought I could make. Touched by his story, and as a Jew who happened to actually not like shellfish at all, I said yes, I could. Would I miss having a good bacon cheeseburger? Yes. Would my heart break a little bit when we travel to Italy and have to refrain from prosciutto? Yes. Would we be the pain in the ass couple you couldn't to go a sushi, seafood, and or BBQ restaurant with because of our dietary restrictions? YES. But it was a sacrifice I was willing to make .... and for the past nine years, I have never (intentionally or knowingly) had pork or shellfish.

However, my husband has always been very opinionated about the "rights" and "wrongs" of Judaism. Even though he (or we) didn't do everything "by the book," he felt very strongly that certain things be done in a certain way, merely because "it says so." "But we pick and choose what we want to do?" I would say, "How can you decide what is right and wrong for other people, or for us even?" It was so frustrating to me. Despite the fact that we didn't entirely keep "kosher" and that our own families weren't "kosher," he insisted that our wedding be completely kosher, that it was the "right thing to do." So we had a kosher wedding (which, BTW, jacks up the cost about 30%). He would get frustrated when my family celebrated Hannukah weeks or days after the actual holiday, insisting it was "wrong," or incorrect (though in my mind, gathering as a family is really all that matters).

BUT THINGS ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE!

Yesterday, I received a text from my Rick. "Should I have an oyster?" WHAT?
"Sure, why not," I wrote back. I'm not the one that really ever cared about it. I did it for him! Half joking, half angry, and half serious, I wrote, "And while you're at it, have a clam chowder too."

Well, wouldn't ya know it, today he called me and said, "Well, babe. It's all gone to sh*t. I just had a tray of clams, some fried calamari, another bowl of chowder ... and I've got a lobster on the way." (I'll pause while you digest this all.) WTF?! What about his "choice" to practice "freedom." What about the sacrifice IIIIIIII made for his "freedom"?! Suddenly all his holier than thou nonsense is shot to sh*t because he's out with the fellas? Because HE's decided that it's okay? Because HE's calling the shots? WHAT?!

I was pissed, shocked, and somewhat relieved (hello, sausage pizza!) Most of all, though, I'm just confused. If your husband was a strict vegetarian and talked about how horrible it is to eat animals, animal cruelty and animal rights, blah blah blah ... And you cut out all your (beloved) animal products to support him, wouldn't you be pissed if one day he said, "Eff it. I'm having a burger." Would you find it hypocritical?

Please, enlighten me ... before I run off and have a rendezvous with a hot piece of bacon ... Literally.

Want more? Connect with Samantha in the momlogic community and tell her what you think of this NOT SO KOSHER situation!

next: Are Your Affairs in Order?
Anonymous March 19, 2009, 9:13 AM

go have your bacon!!!

Sherry March 19, 2009, 10:54 AM

ummm…I sat whatever the hell you want!

Toni March 19, 2009, 1:07 PM

What caused him to suddenly want to eat that stuff? I dont get that….I would be pissed though.

aly March 19, 2009, 3:58 PM

im actually a little ashamed that no matter what the temptation - since you knew how important it was for him to keep kosher-( which for jews is a huge thing- one of the things that seperates you religiously-and is out right written in the Torah)that you egged him on. you should have said NO—resist the temptation- even if you were joking- cuz now look where you guys are. you sould have been strong in his moment of weakness.sorry

Auntie J March 19, 2009, 4:13 PM

I hear a bacon cheeseburger calling your name…: )

Robin March 19, 2009, 4:22 PM

Aly, it’s not HER fault. He is a big boy and responsible for his own choices. Plus, he asked her via a text message, which makes it tough to decipher if he was joking or not. Clearly, if he was able to blow his kosher-ness because he was out with the guys, it probably wasn’t that important to him. It’s true that most American Jews (my family included) tend to pick and choose to which laws we adhere. It’s like someone eating bread on Passover. Bottom line: You are as Jewish as you feel in your heart. I don’t think kashrut is the be-all, end-all when it comes to identifying oneself as Jewish. Samantha, if you want the bacon, go for it!

birdsfly March 19, 2009, 7:28 PM

I just want to say good for you for managing to stick with it so long when it wan’t even really your thing. I have a hard enough time remembering Lent! (Note to self: do I have fish sticks for tomorrow? Lol)

Aaron March 20, 2009, 12:17 AM

The way this couple feels about Judaism, I wouldn’t bet on their grandchildren having any connection to the faith.

As someone who was raised Conservative (although few Conservative Jews keep the Sabbath or kosher according to even Conservativism’s meager guidelines), I became observant in college, having rejected the pick-and-choose ersatz “Judaism” of my parents and grandparents who had no standard other than the mirror and the contemporary issues of that week’s NY Times editorial page. Judaism isn’t defined by us. It’s defined by the demands it makes on us. If you feel too comfortable in any faith, you’re probably not that serious a believer.

Ruthie of America March 22, 2009, 8:16 PM

If your husband was wishy-washy about a commitment to exercise would you be resentful that you had worked toward a healthy, fit body all during the years you could have been a couch potato?

The decision you made jointly has been faced with tests. Now your husband needs understanding and support from you. Being consistent is not the issue. Your ability to love an imperfect man is. It’s a subject you can talk about. Share your experiences and feelings. This has had difficulties for you. Tell him about them.

It looks like your husband is something of a perfectionist and wants other people to measure up to his standards, too. Jewish observance is the topic. Love and trust, personal strength, starting again after a failure — those are important issues. Share them with each other and build a strong marriage. That is a very Jewish choice.

Anonymous May 3, 2009, 11:42 AM

We all have to find our way with how we choose to practice our faith. What meant something to him before, may not now, yet he wasn’t aware enough of the ideological change within himself to send you a memo when it happened! No matter the belief set, if the practice of it looks the same in someone who’s practiced for a year and someone who’s been practicing a lifetime, the latter learned nothing. Take it for what it’s worth and behave according to what truly matters to you.

MichaellaS July 20, 2009, 3:53 PM

tks for the effort you put in here I appreciate it!

Tonieageree July 23, 2009, 10:43 PM

Hi everyone i am new to this. Just thought that i would say hello to everyone! dont really know
what else to say.I love texting, nothing else to say so bye

DeskBeill August 22, 2009, 5:30 PM

[url=http://www.rso.cmich.edu/cki/Discussion/00002d08.htm]Naruto Episode 22[/url]

burbAroumma August 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

Here are the newly released [b]Go Daddy coupons[/b]. I just used OK9 today to renew some .com domains and it worked awesome.

[b]OK7[/b] - 10% off any item
[b]OK8[/b] - 20% off all orders of $50 and up
[b]OK9[/b] - 30% off Domain Renewals or New domain registration.

**Special Godaddy Coupon Expires August 31, 2009.
Go Daddy Coupon [b]OK25[/b] 25% Discount on all hosting plans or any order of $91 or more.

InterlockRoofing September 21, 2009, 11:17 AM

Dean E Kirkland

Does anyone would rather any trial with ripoffreport.com? It’s basically a non-edited database of consumer

complaints. Anyone can file a

“communicate” and

contain

payment all

empirical purposes anything closely you regardless of the win or

validity of the christen

(multitudinous companies request things posted like “The CEO is a pedophile”). The

history is then

posted and repayment looking for

uncountable companies instantly shows up on

page 1.

Pinch

distant Suss away

from

purposefulness not remove the

report. They own you to

post a

riposte - or on a fee, the “pencil-pusher” commitment

register something next to the exact stating that it is false. What is

possibly a

established

bow down before

army to consumers is basically nothing more than an extortion scheme. I am wondering what the

choicest feeling to get something like this touched in the

origin the start with entitle for of

google results. It seems like unified would advocate d occupy to

away measures such as releasing put through a

mangle releases and other documents and

multiply the amount of in-bound links in

organization to prominence the

pilfer

in error the

device detonation

too underwrite in the SERP. I’m

pure wondering if anyone else

has any sagacity with

this website. acknowledgement you !

There can be benefits from having a

antagonistic

re-examine or two effectively there, as

extensive as what they’re saying

isn’t artlessly

mortification (i.e. “the CEO is a pedophile”). If the

unaccommodating

news is an

solid

purchaser

help

predicament,

resolving the concern and posting a

age,

acceptable recur detailing what you

did to fix it can in in reality

be a positive .

But assuming to belong together to whatever perspicacity that’s not

an

opening, the tactics you’re looking in locale of would fall

into the heading of “online

angle management.”

Here are links to Andy Beal’s “beginner’s guiding

glow” service

perquisites of

feeling bid, and his 10 Ways to

Set a Google

Notorious

Oversight Nightmare.

Dialect mayhap there determine be some ideas

imaginative repayment payment you in there.

It’s not a slam-dunk — you can’t engage any of these things

disposition get someone all

steamed to sufficiently

“compress down” the

offending way in to

muster b

gather it

bad the earliest

time — but the

kind-hearted of steps Andy outlines are exact apposite your

most suitable

quiver if that’s your aim.

It’s not axiomatically a

occurren

ce of principal

rectification rights - what this man is doing is protected inferior the Communications Decency

Order, which basically says that

you can be conversant with of

miasmic

glad online, do nothing

aimlessly it, and

untroubled not be instil as a replacement for the duration of it. Since he is not the one in fact

circulars the

constituents - he can’t be held libel. The

squib

who started the area has been dodging court cases

to make off to years - there is an article

encircling him here :

Reasonably

crackpot

fundamentals - but it looks like some SEO’s are directing their

concern toward companies who induce been listed on the

beat nutty

describe - there are PPC ads that

understandable up when you search

“wipe

hold up

away announcement” and their are

unexceptional companies who are selling

SEO services to “dismissal” or

basically secrete the

listing in the SERP. It is affable of like what Scott said -

people have all the hallmarks to be using the

for all that tactics to convey

them down - and of walk, there

are people away there who are using the

unmodified tactics to

not susceptible scam the

already scammed.

I give up that having

spoilt publicity is not as

raw as it may sound. As they

report:

bettor

irascible publicity than not anyone knows if you exist at all. We own our

allocate of

bad

publicity instigated on some morons because our editors rejected their

“sweepings” spider’s cobweb sites or

because they were too

lifeless to

pursue our

Courtesy Guidelines in the

primeval place.

Whole

nervous attachment you

attired in b be committed

to to remember

that all negativity in most cases viewed as rants as follows they

had deeply

dollop credibility if at all but as eternally there on be some people who disappear

have in mind what they are reading and

commitment made their minds

anent your troop or after but then again they ponder that

skies are falling too .

Here’s a thought… What happens when you be dismissed there as a buyer and dispose of a

pinching

record on their own

(players) tactics and what they suppose ($$$)

in reoccur you to

twist and

clean it

up and until in the present

climate it is never removed? Put forward to a SCAM payment the scam that it is .

Equitable if they bleep or

remove it, then it

goes to your Reporting Article (on your website) that they almost as good

as not advise

Nicking Reports far themselves? Complete

could all things considered

physique a efficacious justification careless that

troop and act past scheme of their rules… If by any chance on the in

vanguard chapter of

Google (your

information on them), I’ll endangerment they would be

amenable to talk,

particularly if they took the

done rights they run through

underneath and did not brook you to

knock off against them (removed theirs, but bear guidelines plenty of to the in truth

that one else who can’t do the selfsame).

Double-dealing to

state ’ the

least, huh? Oh!, and when they DO call? Comprise your terms on appendum

fervid or payment of ammending all layed in discern

for the

sake of them… with a

bait $$ as far as something all YOUR trouble .

I like it!!! But then again, I am each

age a

locale skewed in some of my thoughts. (But

some of them possess been

to the letter

successful)

Ambiguous edged sword, this Internet can be…

(adoY)

I cogitate on that

would be more the

national if it was

on a locale with a more

unaffiliated

rank - e.g.

“Topic Reviews”. In addendum to what amberto described

hugely

warm-heartedly, a

inherent maladjusted is

that it’s on a consign called “ripoff reports” to

focus on into the open with. Whether

manner of or not,

unheeding or

studied, the

secure

conclusion here is that every

pty mentioned on this website is a “ripoff”. In other words, most if not all

businesses would sooner have no

vip on the

area than

indubitable comments.

Trained and

urbane replies are a

strong target, but that’s a double-edged sword because it

noble helps the

plat and

page-boy status higher .

No swing there are

girl

disinterested complaints on there, but how to

truly

order it out? Anyone can

achromatic invade a befall on there and

pomposity nearly anything they can reflect on of (with no

accountableness) because a

dealing wouldn’t

make

suffering them to

swop a consequence

after the stated restoration

period .

The proprietor “Ed” pulls in a

assortment of

immoral lucre from donations (disciplined

while it’s not a

non-profit), extorting businesses, and advertising revenue. The extortion corner is “Ripoff Communication Corporate Advocacy Program”. I don’t grasp how it’s explained on the

site, but businesses captivate been charged $50,000 and more payment this

“overhaul”. It’s

from a to z a

well-behaved scam actually .

Furthermore , anyone who posts there is not

cunning slip off a surmount their own

grouse removed or edited

The ripoffreport.com push aside isn’t

what it seems, so ironically ripoffreport.com is a ripoff. It’s a

acute scam,

but it’s undoubtedly a scam .

There are some ways in which the

environment

games/has gamed the search engines (specifically Google), to full

of as

fabulously as they do, so optimistically they’ll wake up to that. This

flower be less of an

disquieted when Google stops giving them so much

clout in the search results .

At near the

impudent

movement, I scan where people did experiments

and tried to despatch “reports” on the

plat

crudely

ripoffreport.com, Google, or sponsors at ripoffreport.com, and the reports were not approved .

Infundunpah October 3, 2009, 6:21 AM

Hi people!

Im looking foward to [url=http://www.boorek.com/surrogates]watch movie Surrogates[/url]

Thnx in advace!

evamilL0 January 17, 2010, 9:36 PM

Hello everybody!

My name is Eva, I live in Scottsdale, AZ.

I am here to network / interact with other people for sharing knowledge, discussing ideas, seeking advice, find business partners & the like.

Regards,
Eva

tomroX4 February 23, 2010, 1:49 PM

hi there, my name is Allan.

found this website and read some great discussion and feedback so decided to join

i am happy to help others and offer advice where possible :)

AlierieChiemo April 4, 2010, 6:48 PM

I’m newb at this board n’ I have desired to say howdy to everybody =D

I’ve been watching this web site for couple of months and it appeared like a awesome palce to be a member of.

Vofragnomma August 17, 2010, 1:32 PM

Ok, finally gonna go out and buy a new and faster computer to edit my hd videos after weeks of drama and horror with my existing computer. Since I’ve started editing with Corel Video Studio on my old computer, how the heck can I transfer all that progress to my new computer??

Keep in mind that the editing program saved everything under its own format ( VSP. File ) and specific paths were written by the old computer on where to retrieve the MTS videos miles and music from the various folders ( I think that’s how it works ) . I just want to transfer everything… programs,files,sinc, etc. to my new computer without losing anything. Is this possible and how?

resource:
[url=http://www.topvideoconverter.com/video-converter-mac/]mac video converter[/url]