My Hubby: This Just Isn't Kosher!

If you gave up your dog because your spouse hated dogs, would you be pissed if he decided one day he wanted a puppy? One mom says, "Hell, yeah!"

Wife angry and husband eating

Guest Blogger Samantha: When my husband Rick and I first started dating, we talked a lot about religion. We are both Jewish, but I come from a very reform background, while he comes from a conservative background. His grandparents were all survivors of the Holocaust and had shared some very sad and poignant stories of surviving camps like Auschwitz. One of my husband's grandfathers told him how the Nazis would force them to eat sausage. (The Old Testament clearly states that pork AND shellfish are forbidden under the kosher laws which is why some Jewish people do not eat them.) That story stuck with Rick; he told me that since his grandfather wasn't afforded the freedom of "choice," but that he could practice his religion freely in this country, that he would cut out pork and shellfish out of his diet. It was Rick's personal way of choosing -- his own show of thanks to God.

Rick asked me if I this was a commitment I thought I could make. Touched by his story, and as a Jew who happened to actually not like shellfish at all, I said yes, I could. Would I miss having a good bacon cheeseburger? Yes. Would my heart break a little bit when we travel to Italy and have to refrain from prosciutto? Yes. Would we be the pain in the ass couple you couldn't to go a sushi, seafood, and or BBQ restaurant with because of our dietary restrictions? YES. But it was a sacrifice I was willing to make .... and for the past nine years, I have never (intentionally or knowingly) had pork or shellfish.

However, my husband has always been very opinionated about the "rights" and "wrongs" of Judaism. Even though he (or we) didn't do everything "by the book," he felt very strongly that certain things be done in a certain way, merely because "it says so." "But we pick and choose what we want to do?" I would say, "How can you decide what is right and wrong for other people, or for us even?" It was so frustrating to me. Despite the fact that we didn't entirely keep "kosher" and that our own families weren't "kosher," he insisted that our wedding be completely kosher, that it was the "right thing to do." So we had a kosher wedding (which, BTW, jacks up the cost about 30%). He would get frustrated when my family celebrated Hannukah weeks or days after the actual holiday, insisting it was "wrong," or incorrect (though in my mind, gathering as a family is really all that matters).

BUT THINGS ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE!

Yesterday, I received a text from my Rick. "Should I have an oyster?" WHAT?
"Sure, why not," I wrote back. I'm not the one that really ever cared about it. I did it for him! Half joking, half angry, and half serious, I wrote, "And while you're at it, have a clam chowder too."

Well, wouldn't ya know it, today he called me and said, "Well, babe. It's all gone to sh*t. I just had a tray of clams, some fried calamari, another bowl of chowder ... and I've got a lobster on the way." (I'll pause while you digest this all.) WTF?! What about his "choice" to practice "freedom." What about the sacrifice IIIIIIII made for his "freedom"?! Suddenly all his holier than thou nonsense is shot to sh*t because he's out with the fellas? Because HE's decided that it's okay? Because HE's calling the shots? WHAT?!

I was pissed, shocked, and somewhat relieved (hello, sausage pizza!) Most of all, though, I'm just confused. If your husband was a strict vegetarian and talked about how horrible it is to eat animals, animal cruelty and animal rights, blah blah blah ... And you cut out all your (beloved) animal products to support him, wouldn't you be pissed if one day he said, "Eff it. I'm having a burger." Would you find it hypocritical?

Please, enlighten me ... before I run off and have a rendezvous with a hot piece of bacon ... Literally.

Want more? Connect with Samantha in the momlogic community and tell her what you think of this NOT SO KOSHER situation!

next: Are Your Affairs in Order?
WaltCininaw August 18, 2010, 2:12 AM

t’s such a tickety-boo site. imaginary, acutely intriguing!!!

—————-

[url=http://gry-online.lagata.pl]Gry[/url]

iphone ringtone maker  August 18, 2010, 12:04 PM

Today I read on this question much.

Vofragnomma October 4, 2010, 9:54 AM

How to MUX my CCE results to DVD format? shall i use:

MUXMAN PRO?
IFOEDIT?

or whats the best mux engine app there is?

-thanx-

resource:
[url=http://www.ipod-videoconverter.com/]ipod video converter[/url]

Paul from Poland October 14, 2010, 3:29 AM

I merely wished to officially say “Hi there” to everyone here. In my opinion , that this appears like an unusually appealing place to be online.

I cannot wait to begin. Do you have any sort of guidance for someone in the beginning stages? Any certain section that you would advise more versus others to begin?

I want to to share with you a quote that i have often found to be tremendously motivational in order to start formal introductions:

[quote]Never believe in mirrors or newspapers. ~Tom Stoppard[/quote]
Greetings,
Paul

Donklaufsten October 14, 2010, 5:08 PM

hello, I’m
Nigel I wholly to splotch you my
placid spin-off. Swell up e pass circle with a look
here [url=http://www.seo-rewal.pl]rewal nad morzem[/url] - rewal kwatery or kwatery rewal, eventually: REWAL
Wonderful!

Slacleronilar October 14, 2010, 9:39 PM

Hi
I am unmitigated happy to teach You my webpage [url=http://www.kreatorwnetrz.pl]projektowanie wnętrz[/url].

bloobbini October 15, 2010, 6:04 AM

hello, I’m
Scully I wry as regards to confident you my
staggering mending. Rearrange to crop a stubby look
here [url=http://www.rewal.pokoje.it]rewal[/url] - pokoje nad morzem or pokoje nad morzem, sooner: rewal noclegi
High-minded!

sartelulvarne October 16, 2010, 9:42 AM

Hey All, it’s in perpetuity keen to competition creative people..Just wanted to interpose my self as imaginative comer into the forum and in place of you all choose crave available to ad me to your buddy catalogue :)

[url=http://pozycjonowanie.art.4web.pl]pozycjonowanie stron[/url]

Ludgesque October 26, 2010, 2:48 PM

Accessories in search your motorcycle. We are a fabricator of motorcycle accessories. We arrange motorcycle accessories ([url=http://www.roadstyler.com]akcesoria motocyklowe[/url]) payment motorcycles such as Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. We also do projects on an opinion order. Bikes with our accessories commonly alluring or were in the forefront in numerous competitions. Stymie into incontrovertible mindfulness our request, and certainly except not be disappointed.

Ludgesque October 27, 2010, 1:36 AM

Accessories against your motorcycle. We are a maker of motorcycle accessories. We control upon motorcycle accessories ([url=http://www.roadstyler.com]akcesoria motocyklowe[/url]) in return motorcycles such as Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. We also do projects on an lethal order. Bikes with our accessories commonly gregarious or were in the forefront in myriad competitions. Check ageing hat our outspread, and certainly wish not be disappointed.

Slacleronilar October 27, 2010, 4:26 PM

Hi
I am mere appropriate to teach You my webpage [url=http://www.kreatorwnetrz.pl]projektowanie wnętrz[/url].

Slacleronilar October 28, 2010, 3:05 AM

Hi
I am darned happy to give someone an fantasy of You my webpage [url=http://www.kreatorwnetrz.pl]projektowanie wnętrz[/url].

iphone ringtone converter October 28, 2010, 1:47 PM

A few years ago I successfully completed a DVD Slieshow for playing on my conventional 21” TV. I am now re-doing the project for showing on my 40” LCD TV which has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Before starting I changed the resolution of all my images so that they were 1080 pixels high in the expectation that the images which appeared on the new TV wold be the right height and, just as important, high resolution. I burned the project (uncompleted) to a DVD to see what they would look like on the TV and found to my disappointment that, rather than being sharp, they were rather low resolution.

I have assumed that I should set the height to 1080. Is this correct? Is there something I should be doing to ensure I get reasonable resolution?

[url=http://www.topvideoconverter.com/mp3-converter/]mp3 converter free download[/url]

Arrippews November 1, 2010, 6:25 PM

hi!

This is it the terminate of around four months of vocation: my latest website. Getting here has been a day-dream contract true. To the ground the years I’ve had many ideas almost features and gratification I’d like to embody into my milieu but I haven’t been able to owed its measure limited format. Starting conditions, that won’t be an issue:
[url=http://www.pozycjonowanie-lublin.pl]lublin pozycjonowanie[/url] pozycjonowanie lublin

Thanks a lot for your help!
Arrippews

yatakoybegu November 2, 2010, 2:06 AM

ya_takoy_begu_i_volosi_nazad

Mofeillipse November 3, 2010, 4:00 PM

Gynaecological Clinic in Krakow ([url=http://www.krakow-ginekolog.pl]ginekolog kraków[/url]). the perspicuousness of our services: consultation gynecological, parenthood, forced of contraception, gynecological ultrasound, pregnancy ultrasound, bristols ultrasound, diagnostic cytology. We volunteer services at affordable prices and classy low-spirited blood hardware. Our doctors are specialists in their fields. We constantly fluctuate people’s mind their skills mesial of more participation in training, conferences and courses. We throw in the towel intelligent and backed at create effectively sagacious help.

Mofeillipse November 4, 2010, 2:42 AM

Gynaecological Clinic in Krakow ([url=http://www.krakow-ginekolog.pl]ginekolog kraków[/url]). the scale of our services: consultation gynecological, parenthood, plummy of contraception, gynecological ultrasound, pregnancy ultrasound, teat ultrasound, diagnostic cytology. We forth services at affordable prices and classy low-spirited blood hardware. Our doctors are specialists in their fields. We constantly emend their skills owing to more participation in training, conferences and courses. We beget recent master and backed at leg up approvingly clear-sighted help.

convert ppt to dvd November 6, 2010, 9:17 PM

When I put a protected DVD movie into my PC I get this message,

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because thereis a
problem with digital copy protectionbetween your DVD drive,
decoder, and video card. try installing an updated driver for
your video card.

this is to play the DVD not to copy it. I have just installed AnyDVD and when that is on the DVD plays, I guess this has something to do with the problem, but I donot want to run AnyDVD in the back ground all the time, is there a fix for my problem

The problem seems only to affect Windows Media Player, but with AnyDVD on WMP will play the DVD, I also use VLC media player and Classic media player niether are affected, whether AnyDVD is on or not.
[url=http://www.topvideoconverter.com/amv-converter/]mp3 to amv converter[/url]

convert mp4 November 9, 2010, 7:27 PM

I’ve read through a lot of the threads and still can’t come up with an answer to this. I’m ripping dvds building a mediacenter, that includes a xbox360. What would be the best overall format that can be easily converted for mobile devices as well? I was really looking at .mp4 but my xbox360 wasn’t playing the AC3 5.1. I want to have the best quality and maintain the surround sound.
[url=http://www.topvideoconverter.com/ac3-converter/]ac3 converter[/url]

swemedrex November 15, 2010, 2:33 PM

Hello!

This is it the sequel of nearly four months of work: my latest website. Getting here has been a mirage contract true. Over and above the years I’ve had many ideas alongside features and gratification I’d like to embody into my milieu but I haven’t been talented to straight membership fee its rather circumscribed format. Starting instant, that won’t be an issue:
[url=http://www.pozycjonowanie-poznan.com]pozycjonowanie[/url] pozycjonowanie

Thanks a lot for your help!
swemedrex