My Toddler Is Making Me Fat

I don't work out. Why? I have a kid. That is a valid excuse, isn't it?

woman with toddler and cupcakes

momlogic's Jenny: It's 2 PM on a Thursday. I'm driving back to work after shooting a segment with celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak. I know I have to get back to work, but I'm starving and need to eat something. I could eat the salad I brought with me, but, oh, a burger with cheese (okay, and fries too) sound so good. As I pull in to the parking lot, I internally smack myself for making this diet (or lack there of) choice, when I just came from spending time at Harley's gym, watching him push our awesome community leader Christina Montoya Fiedler. Every day, I come to work and help to produce and promote our Zip Up Your Jeans Challenge. I've spent hours talking to Christina, encouraging her to keep up the good work, helping her schedule these workouts between her having a full time job and a full time 7-month-old. Yet, here I am, ordering fries (with extra thousand island dressing on the side, please) and who knows when the next time I'll workout will be?!

The other night, I fiiiiiiiiiinally dragged my butt to a Tae Bo class. It was literally the first "exercise-y" thing I had done in three months. (I don't really count taking short walks with the stroller as exercise and neither does Harley -- that is just "lifestyle" fitness. Definitely not what's gonna get rid of the muffin top!) I was so excited to finally work out, but on the other hand, was wracked with guilt the entire day, thinking about the fact that instead of going straight home from work, I'd go straight to do something for myself.

"Myself," being the operative word. How could I do something for myself? How could I work out, when my poor baby has been away from me allllllllll day? I wanted to spend at least some time playing with him before bed time, so I ended up leaving the class early, which, by the way, I also felt guilty about. Ahh, it's truly a no win situation. Or is it?

Do I need to put my guilt aside and do something for myself? Do I need to stop hiding behind the "new (working) mom" schtick? After you've been married a year, you can no longer say you are a newlywed and "just got married." So, with an 18 month old, haven't I exceeded the cut- off point for saying "I just had a baby?" Seriously, it's time for me to stop using my toddler as an excuse to why I can't work out and why I'll never look like Halle Berry (other than for obvious reasons). I mean, as Harley told me today, there's not one person that doesn't have a half hour in their lives to do some sort of exercise -- even if that means putting your baby in a pack and play and doing something aerobic next to them. Bottom line, it can be done. Just give me until next week though. I'm still so sore from Tae Bo...

Join momlogic's ZIP UP YOUR JEANS challenge TODAY, and you could WIN A TRIP TO LOS ANGELES!

next: Single-Sex Schools Rule
Brandi March 15, 2009, 10:43 AM

I say we can blame the kids. I mean thy do expect us to try everything to make sure it is not poisoned, and of course got to make sure it is seasoned right!Yep, totally understand. Unfortunately my workout is walking with the kids. And taking the stairs instead of the elevator (I just keep thinking…butt lift, butt lift).

Heather March 15, 2009, 11:53 AM

Work out FOR your kids. It keeps you healthy and gives you more energy.

Christy March 15, 2009, 2:00 PM

I’m finding in my efforts to get my toddler to gain weight that I’m eating her leftovers. And I do not need double buttered bread, or almond butter and cheese at every meal!

Anonymous March 15, 2009, 2:17 PM

OMG ..I was just thinking bout this..Cause the other day my kids wanted cookies and I’m in a middle of a diet and i don’t know ..I just couln’t resiste

Nicole March 15, 2009, 8:19 PM

Lol, oh how I love Mommy misery. I totally blame my 18 month old for my Mom-bod! I have never been a very big snacker but with my daughter around I find myself eating all freakin’ day long! The problem is I give her something and she has decided that today she doesn’t like it, so instead of throwing it away I eat it for her! I mean really, we can’t be wasting food in today’s economy…am I right, or am I right?! ; ) Glad to know I’m not the only one who “blames” their child!

Anonymous March 15, 2009, 9:14 PM

Great article, so true of so many moms. I can say that now that my kids are older and are in school at least part time, I have the time to work out. Its showing and I like that. But I hate to be the angel? Devil? on the shoulder , I have to admit something: To be flabby and have those 18-month-old baby minutes with my kids again, wow. I’d do anything. My advice, do it if you need it now, for stress/mental health. Dont do it because you think you need that 26 inch waist back: believe it or not, you can get that waist back later, when your kids have so much to do and you are filling up your “you” calendar again….

Jenny March 15, 2009, 10:33 PM

I agree Heather, work out FOR you kids but also work out with your kids watching…it’s a pain in the butt but it will spare them from having to force themselves to work out later in life, it will just be a way of life. I’ve been working out around my daughter since she was a year old, she would think it was great fun. Now she is four and thinks it’s wonderful to do pilates, she doesn’t know it’s good for her, she isn’t worried about her figure , she is just having a good time.

Also lets stop blaming it on kid food. Kids don’t have to eat chicken nuggets and fish sticks. Kids will decide what they like out of the foods that YOU provide for them. My daughter enjoys chocolate chips and potato chips just like any other child but she also loves salmon, cod, broccoli, sauerkraut,mushrooms and so on.

Anonymous March 15, 2009, 11:20 PM

I know, I’m a mother of 2 kids and I work, so it gets easy to blame the kids for not working out, especially when you get tired. But you have to take care of yourself and take responsibility for that, and taking care of yourself means that you’ll take better care of your family. You don’t have to run a 5K. Just put your kids in a stroller and walk for 30 minutes, every other day. Indulge in a nice burger and fries every once in a while, but not everyday. Ultimately, your body is the result of YOUR choices, not your kids…and the better you take care of yourself, the better you feel, and your kid will feel that too.

busy March 16, 2009, 1:26 PM

I am sorry, but you are making yourself fat. I wonder, are you also one of the moms who does not have time to take a shower as well?

Anonymous March 16, 2009, 2:34 PM

You can do it Jenny! Maybe we should work out together! :)

Jenny March 16, 2009, 2:56 PM

LOL

clover March 18, 2009, 1:36 PM

I love the article. I have been saying this for years. I have three children from 13 all the way to 2 1/2 and have been blaming them for years. Every comment I have done. Even the one about not being able to take a shower. Try doing that with a little baby and a toddler trying to come in and see exactly what your mommy is doing. LOL That was the days. I also agree with the older mom when she says not to worry too much because you will be wishing it back when it is gone. I am in the middle of that as well. I have though been working out badly and have already lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks. I have another 30 pounds to go. If anyone wants help losing weight. I have a blog about my personal weight loss. You can check it out at www.cloverplanet.com. Take care. Clover

Nossftha June 28, 2009, 10:57 AM