I Have New Respect for Single Moms!

My husband was out of town for four days ... and now I have new respect for single mothers.

Multitasking mom

Momlogic's Julie: My husband was out of town this week on a guys' trip to Vegas. That meant I would be flying solo with my two kids, age 5 and 8.

Piece of cake, right? WRONG!

My husband is an actor and stay-at-home dad, which means he's the one who makes the lunches, does the grocery shopping, and keeps the household running. He gets the kids ready for school and drops them off and picks them up daily when I'm at work.

Without him here, I had to scramble to get the kids ready, serve them breakfast, make their lunches, make sure they had their homework completed, and get them to school on time ... then dash straight to work in heavy traffic to make my 8:30 AM meeting.

I know single mothers have to do this every day, but I am not used to it. By the time I got to work, I felt like I'd run a full marathon!

One day, I had to pick the kids up early from school and bring them to my office so I wouldn't miss an important meeting. I know this is the kind of juggle (and struggle) single moms face daily -- ladies, I commend you for it!

At night, dinner was not on the table like usual -- in fact, we ate out every single night. This got expensive ... single moms, I do not know how you do it.

This morning, I discovered we were out of toilet paper. Oops, I hadn't found time to go to the store (something my husband normally does). Paper towels it would be! Again, I thanked God for my wonderful hubby, and silently praised all you single mothers out there who have to go it alone.

My husband will be home when I get back from work tonight, and I absolutely cannot wait to see him. I appreciate him more than ever.

Being alone for four days has made me realize how much the stay-at-home parent does ... without you, we cubicle-dwelling, 9-to-5ers are completely lost. And it gave me a new appreciation for single mothers and all you do 24/7. I am in awe.

Want more? Connect with Julie in the momlogic community.

next: The Untold Dynamics of Oral Sex
Anonymous March 13, 2009, 3:44 PM

Pearl Mattenson March 13, 2009, 4:29 PM

Did you find that being in that rush makes it so much harder to be present with your kids and appreciate the time with them? You just start focusing on what needs to get done and by when…If you had to sustain that pace over time, I wonder if it would make you rethink how you allocate time and what is really important. I know this was a big dillema when my kids were that young. NOw in their teen years, as they basically care for themselves, the issues have shifted.

Anne Mayhew March 13, 2009, 4:41 PM

So true, so true. My husband was away for two days and my schedule went all a twitter - and not the fun twitter!

summer March 13, 2009, 4:54 PM

try being a military wife!

DaAnne Smith March 14, 2009, 8:00 PM

I became an advocate for the often voiceless single mother at the same point in my own parenting. I simply could not imagine having no break from the daily responsibilities.

Single mothers are some of our country’s silent heroes. I have never been a single mother, but I have been changed by the power of their collective story and their cry of help in our community. As Executive Director of Single Mothers Outreach of Santa Clarita, I am compelled to bring resources, hope and support to single mothers so that they can serve their families well.

K&C's mom March 14, 2009, 11:41 PM

You really can’t get the feel for single motherhood in 4 days!!! Seriously, I was a single mom for 3 years, and it was worse then anything you described!!!

MotherProof.com March 16, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the pat on the back (from a single WAHM).