New Tween Trend: "Smoking" Smarties

Smarties are some of our fave candies. But "smoking" them?? You need to know about this dangerous new trend.

All of over the country, tweens and teens are "smoking" Smarties.

Huh?

They're crushing Smarties candies into a fine powder in its wrapper, tearing off one end, pouring the powder into their mouths and blowing out fine Smarties dust, mimicking a smoker's exhale.

Moms, watch and learn:

Some doctors say that frequent use could lead to infections or worse, albeit rare, conditions, such as maggots that feed on sugary dust wedged inside the nose. Yuck!

Many parents worry smoking Smarties could be a gateway leading to smoking cigarettes or pot.

Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says, "The notion of imitating smoking by using a crushed-up candy seems pretty juvenile to me. It certainly glorifies smoking, but I don't know that we can say it leads to cigarette or drug use. And it doesn't seem to have generated
any reports of significant bodily harm. But it's still silly and it popularizes the act of smoking."

She continues: "My recommendation to schools would be to make the smoking behavior an
offense, regardless of what is being 'smoked.' That's a simple way to slow the trend to a screeching halt, at least on campus."

What do you think of this new trend: harmless hijinks or bad news?

next: Southwest Airline's Musical Flight
Anonymous March 20, 2009, 6:57 PM

What a waste of perfectly good candy! Funny thing ‘cause when I saw this, I was thinking of what we Canadians call Smarties (which are like M&Ms; US “Smarties” are what we call Rockets here)… so I was trying to figure out how it was possible to smoke those!

Mrs Embers March 20, 2009, 8:15 PM

Haha- I was thinking the exact same thing as “anonymous” was! I couldn’t figure out how the heck you crush chocolate into a fine enough dust to do that… then I watched the video. Riiiight- Rockets!

I don’t know how you people down south live without “real” Smarties- so much better than M&M’s :)

Anyway, all I can say is: This is a FAD? Even when I was in middle school this would’ve seemed pretty idiotic to me. Then again, I knew some people who would’ve gone for it. Seems about as harmful as “Popeye” cigarettes, whatever your feelings about those might be.

ashley March 21, 2009, 8:26 AM

Weird!! I remember in 8th grade our teacher had stepped out of the room and this kid whipped out some candy and snorted it!! I wonder if he turned out to be a druggie!!!

Kelly March 21, 2009, 4:00 PM

Really? Blowing crushed up smartie dust out your mouth will lead to pot smoking? That’s a stretch. But maybe not, if the parents won’t be parents and know what their kids are up to and with whom.

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 10:00 PM

Candy…the new gateway drug.

SesshoumarusGirl March 22, 2009, 11:25 PM

Oh Snap! We used to do this in junior high! LOL “New” …yeah right. Looking back, yeah it was dumb, but newsflash, kids do this kind of stuff and I think this article is an example of focusing on EVERYTHING but the actual problem. Kids shouldn’t smoke but this won’t make em do it, sorry. NEXT.

JAY November 4, 2009, 6:48 PM

WTF!!? i just did this today and i was coughing a little bit but i would never really smoke (im 14) this trend is starting to get addicting i know its bad for you but still

Golf September 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

Good! I dugg this

fashion October 1, 2010, 4:46 AM

Excellent article, maintain the fantastic work. I’m a Senior Lecturer in the Cultural Studies department at Central Saint Martins in which I’m also earning a living using a project for the industry. Thanks for the useful info.

Savannah November 29, 2010, 7:11 PM

Oh come on! It’s completely harmless. I love smoking smarties. I’m a good kid, I’ve never gotten a detention, and I’ve never really done anything wrong. It’s just fun and yummy! Hahaha who cares if it looks like I’m “smoking”?!? If that’s the worst I’m doing, I don’t really think there’s anything to worry about.