Puleeze! Who's Got Time for Spring Cleaning?

'Tis the season for spring cleaning! But who's got the time -- or energy??

New York Times best selling author and media personality Julie Edelman, aka The Accidental Housewife, has these suggestions

SAY HI-LO TO DUST- Start from the highest places where dust has gathered such as ceiling fans, high lights, move on down to blinds, then walls to the baseboards and finish by disturbing those dust bunnies who have taken up permanent residence under your couch! Use microfiber cloths and mops with extendable handles which are terrific at attracting dust dry or complimented with water or store-bought products. Using micro-fiber products are also a great and mindless way to be green enough without becoming the Queen of Green overnight.

SEE YOUR WAY CLEAR- After a winter of snow, ice, sleet, rain and indoor smut, smoke, fingerprints and who knows what else now's the time to take aim. Grab that microfiber window cleaner and/or squeegee so you'll see the buds on the trees or your neighbor's hunky landscaper. A simple and handy mix of 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3rd water will get the job done and cost you just pennies! You can also use yesterday's newspaper to dry which is lint free and very eco-friendly.

SMITE THE MITE- Sneezing, coughing, got itchy eyes? Likelihood you've been sleeping with the doo from dust mites. So when you change out your quilts for the lighter blankets, bedspreads and linens wash those suckers including your mattress pads, pillow covers and all else in a high, high heated cycle (of course check care labels first!). After laundering store the winter items in air tight bags to keep those mighty mites out of there and next years achoos at a minimum!

SUCK IT UP- When all your dusting and cleaning is done vacuum the floors and carpeting. Better yet, if you have a child of 5 years or more get them to do it for you since they love to vacuum. Be sure to vacuum mattresses too-both sides--and your bed's baseboards to suck up those nasty mites and their doo!

CHECK, CHUCK 'N CLEAN- Go through all your bathroom and kitchen drawers, cabinets, counters and fridge. Chuck anything that smells, has changed color or that's taking up space that you haven't used such as that juicer or blue eye shadow that was last winter's must have. Check expiration dates too. Then wash with disinfecting wipes or a mix of vinegar and water to sanitize.

COME OUT OF THE CLOSET- Hit those closets and loose that magic mirror! Get rid of any of those shirts, pants, skirts, or suits that somehow shrank in size over the winter! Use old shopping bags (which I collect like Manolo Blahnik shoes as did Carrie Bradshaw in Sex in the City) and label one store, toss and giveaway. Leave the bags in your closet year round so you can organize and edit on a whim anytime! After you wash or dry clean items like sweaters and other wintry stuff store them in seal proof bags so moths don't make them holier during the warmer months.

FINISH WITH A DIRTY MARTINI- Hey you've worked hard! Time to embrace your "good enough" job of spring cleaning. After all, Oscar said 'man was made for something better' and a dirty martini is a perfect way of not disturbing dirt but celebrating it. Plus after drinking one your home will look a lot cleaner!

Happy Spring!

Have tips of your own you want to share? Tell us about them in the momlogic community!

next: Reunion Angst
2nd Generation Carpet Cleaning March 31, 2009, 12:11 AM

I like the way you think. Very common sense advice.

stacey April 3, 2009, 2:29 PM

You should look into UVC light to clean bedding and rid yourself and your bedding/furniture of dust mites!!! It works! See more at verilux.com

CHRISTABanks September 21, 2010, 4:44 PM

Every one knows that modern life seems to be not very cheap, but people require cash for various issues and not every man gets enough cash. So to get some mortgage loans or secured loan will be a proper way out.

walmart November 12, 2010, 8:53 AM

Gotta luv blogger for this post. Appropriate timing with the current tv news.

Kari Fullwiler November 12, 2010, 10:37 AM

Every time I here on this, it is usually the same. At long last someone has presented a unique and important point of view.

Soila Raduenz November 12, 2010, 3:19 PM

I was doing personal laser applications for more than a year now on my facial hair. Before then I had a really thick dark beard. I’m happy about the results. The actual hairs have become thin and I haven’t gone back for re-application in roughly 6 months. For certain i will point out that it did hurt just a bit on my top lip and there had been times where I got a bit of redness on my face. I suggest Ipl to those with thick hairs or have got large patches of hair they really want to get rid of. For the men that want to do their own tough beard be prepard for spots within the following several weeks and lots of people saying man what is up with your beard.

electronic cigarette November 16, 2010, 2:03 PM

I kicked the habit 3 days ago and it really is starting to hit me today. My better half keeps telling me I will not be able to complete it however I’m so strong of this I can’t fail. recently I began getting discomfort inside my belly and I really want to have a drag. I can’t give into the craving because I am doing this for my children. I am grateful to have the electronic cigarettes. It has been extremely helpful if you ask me.

Joaquin Felling November 16, 2010, 3:04 PM

While wanting to kick the habit, I came upon the electric cigarette. The e cigs uses a nicotine liquid that is made up of only nicotine. No cancerous substances at all. They’ve virtually made all the difference. No longer breathing in cancerous substances feels completely fantastic to me!

cigarettes electronic November 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

While seeking to get off cancer sticks, I came across the electronic cigarette. The smokeless cigarettes uses a nicotine mixture which holds nothing but nicotine. Basically no poisons in the slightest. They’ve basically changed my life. No more breathing toxic substances feels fabulous to me!

plastic surgery November 24, 2010, 5:51 PM

In the past I used waxing to remove my unwanted hair however it was so uncomfortable that I wanted to find something else. I gave electrolysis a try and it performed fair but was in a way expensive. So I used a few weeks researching the no no laser. I actually bought the sensepil and ended up being really pleased with the results. It offered me permanent hair removal at an affordable price. I sincerely recommend it to everyone as opposed to sugaring.

Milly Bloomsburg November 24, 2010, 5:57 PM

I used to be initially treated with Intense pulsed light that isn’t the most practical method to get hair removal. I started with complete arm hair removal. I visited a great Doctor that used a powerful early model laser beam unit but ended up with having uneven areas. After that I chose to buy a home laser hair. I’m delighted and will be starting different areas of my body soon. The costs as well fit my budget allowed which is really a substantial perk.

Felix Maduro November 30, 2010, 10:14 PM

Kudos from one brainiac to another. :)

Bridge Real Estate December 2, 2010, 8:42 AM

I am brand-new to blogging and actually enjoyed your site. I am going to bookmark your website and keep checking you out. Thanks for sharing your blog.

Btesh Virizi Bienes Raices December 2, 2010, 4:54 PM

Neat post - and great domain by the way!

Panama Proyectos December 3, 2010, 5:12 PM

It is nice to definitely locate a web site where the blogger is level-headed. Thanks for creating your website.

Chiriqui December 5, 2010, 10:09 AM

Me English no excellent, but had to say me like what you say. Thank you from Panama.

Quinn Heron December 9, 2010, 12:23 PM

I Will have to come back again when my course load lets up - nevertheless I am taking your RSS feed so I can read your site offline. Thanks.

Air Panama December 13, 2010, 1:02 PM

Your blog is outstanding I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from my studies!

Maritza Abolafia December 13, 2010, 3:05 PM

Your SEO website is outstanding I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from the books!

auto centro panama December 17, 2010, 10:01 AM

Kudos from one nerd to another. :)