Pregnant? Don't Buy Maternity!

Nicole Richie skipped the traditional maternity garb the first time she was preggers and looked totally stylish. Here's how you can do it too!

You don't need to go out and buy a whole new maternity wardrobe when you're pregnant. All it takes is a few key pieces that you can wear now, during and after the baby comes. We bet you may even have most of these pieces in your closet already:

When a pregnant woman wears a bold color or pattern, the eyes don't go directly to the belly, they stay focused on the dress's patterns. Don't just wear black or grey when you're preggers, keep wearing those brights! An oversized cardigan is totally chic over leggings with a fitted tee, and all pieces can be worn after the baby comes. Maxi dresses are everywhere, and they're perfect for a before, during or after pregnancy. They're even adorable dressed up with heels (and super comfy!) Think you have to forego those fitted pieces 'til after the baby? Think again! Fitted pieces can actually be more flattering than loose pieces.

next: Broccoli Helps Protect Against Asthma
tom March 1, 2009, 7:39 AM

I discovered a hot place

——— SeeKaMillionaire Co m——— where many sexy singles- who like — chatting there. I’m an open- minded girl from US, I— am Waiting 4 u

Lori March 1, 2009, 10:36 AM

An open-minded girl from the midwest named Tom? Interesting…

ugh March 1, 2009, 1:12 PM

I don’t think she looked fab, she looked horrible. Nicole Ritchie should not be used as a fashion icon.

Jill (the other one) March 1, 2009, 8:18 PM

@Lori: that’s what I was thinking, too …

I noticed that Nicole’s not very big in any of these pictures … I’m sorry, but once the third trimester hits, you’re so bloody itchy that the last thing you want is clingy leggings and a tight t-shirt. Give me a loose t-shirt and gigantic maternity pants any day.

Anh-Chi Huynh March 2, 2009, 2:30 AM

Although pregnant women can save money buying loose clothing, I think maternity clothing has some of the most fashionable styles. Case in point: Isabella Oliver!!! I look forward to becoming pregnant and wearing the beautifully draped and ruched dresses, and just like certain momentous occasions in a woman’s life such as her wedding day, I think pregnancy is also precious. It’s the few times we can completely love and embrace our body, not be apologetic, and still wear clothing that’s very flattering.

Christine March 2, 2009, 10:30 AM

I completely agree w/ Lori. After being pregnant three times I find loose clothes is the way to go. And some days you feel so big that wearing fitted clothes only makes you feel larger. Every now and then I would want to wear maternity clothes but then would think who wants to ruin nice maternity clothes runnin around after a one yr old and a two yr old.

4Weeks2Go March 2, 2009, 1:25 PM

I have 4 weeks left on my 3rd pregnancy, and in each one I have been stylish, comfortable and have barely bought any maternity wear. Great style can be about the fabric and the fit, not the location(maternity or not) it comes from. Soft jersey tops in empire cut are in most regular stores, low cut/hipster stretch jeans/dressy sweats, and the easy one-piece jersey dresses paired with knee-high boots can take you from work to dinner. Stores you wouldnt expect, such as Forever21, Esprit online, or even your discounters such as Marshalls/TJMax have DKNY, Ralph Lauren and stretch jeans for your last months and post-partum without breaking the budget. It can be easy to be a sexy hip mama, without a trip to the $$$ maternity stores !!

Melissa March 2, 2009, 1:28 PM

ok, so i suppose i could wear the same things as nicole ritchie……if i were 80 lbs to begin with!!!

Tammy March 2, 2009, 1:55 PM

Of course she didn’t have to buy maternity. She probably just bought a size MEDIUM! Or maybe her clothes were custom because she is filthy rich.

jackie March 2, 2009, 2:06 PM

Actually i think that actually helps me, i always think i need to wear baggy and hide the belly but i guess idon’t. The pattern thing is a good idea-she really doesn’t look that pregnant because of the pattern.

Hmm..i’m going to try the tights and cardigan.

Anonymous March 2, 2009, 2:22 PM

I wish the word “preggers” would just go away.

Chiny March 2, 2009, 3:41 PM

I think she proves a point of encouraging some of us ladies that are scared of getting pregnant. Because of the significant change in appearance, the chloasma, the fluid retention….some of us dont really look forward to that state.We can actually look stylish.But at the 3rd trimester, we should wear really comfy loose maternity clothes

Jill (the other one) March 2, 2009, 6:50 PM

I’m with Anonymous. “Preggers” and “prego” need to go.

maeby March 3, 2009, 1:19 PM

lol @ lori, i didnt even catch that til you said so!

yeah the word preggers needs to stop.

Shelly March 6, 2009, 2:02 AM

I think maternity clothes work for some moms and regular clothes work for others. I used a combination of both, mostly regular clothes (leggings, jeans with the bella band, long tanks and cardigans). Ultimately it’s what makes you feel comfortable.

Heidi Yelk April 21, 2009, 11:58 AM

What’s funny about this is that I recommended that NON-pregnant people buy maternity clothes. There’s some really cute stuff and at the end of the season, the sales are great. With the new styles, you don’t have to be pregnant to wear this stuff.

Wlpdpjwu June 22, 2009, 6:22 AM